2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree.  Their profit isn't $200 million.  It is fraction of that.  Presenting it like that is dishonst.

I never said there was a $200 million dollar profit. But there is a huge profit. If you think the White Sox are losing money, you are misinformed. JR would run for his life from this team if it wasn't making money.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I never said there was a $200 million dollar profit. But there is a huge profit. If you think the White Sox are losing money, you are misinformed. JR would run for his life from this team if it wasn't making money.

Dude, this narrative from you gets so old.  The sox are rebuilding and there is no reason to sign overpriced FAs at this point to bloat the payroll.  That is why the payroll is so slow - not to line the pockets of ownership.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dude, this narrative from you gets so old.  The sox are rebuilding and there is no reason to sign overpriced FAs at this point to bloat the payroll.  That is why the payroll is so slow - not to line the pockets of ownership.  

And let's be realistic.  If JR REALLY wanted cash, he would sell the team.  He could either collect the $20 to $40 million a year the team makes, OR he could sell the team and walk away with his share of $1.5 to $2.0 billion that the team would most likely bring.  Especially when all evidence supports that it was JR himself who was the absolute LAST guy to be on board with a radical rebuild in the first place.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Lopez called the team clowns after yesterday's loss:

“For me, we’re not having these kinds of performances because we’re young,” Lopez said through a team interpreter. “For me it’s about intensity, for us to play the way we know we can play the game, to keep working and grinding. It’s unacceptable for us to look the way we looked today. Nobody is happy about the way we looked today.

“Honestly, we looked like clowns (out) there, starting with me. But I know we can do better. It’s a matter of us to keep grinding, improving and working hard.”

Good for him. The crazy thing is nobody asks the questions about the non sequitir. The team is doing what it's supposed to do, lose. I guess "lose with dignity" is what would be ideal.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Always remember what Bill Veeck said, "The future is now. 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans".

Interesting. Bless Bill Veeck.

It amazes me that reloading/tanking pretty much has no critics in 2018. The only people that complain about rebuild/tank jobs are a small small portion of fans.  It's a very popular thing to  do.

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Interesting. Bless Bill Veeck.

It amazes me that reloading/tanking pretty much has no critics in 2018. The only people that complain about rebuild/tank jobs are a small small portion of fans.  It's a very popular thing to  do.

How does that amaze you? Most people (not including you) are smart enough to realize that when the alternative is to be mediocre year after year with no chance of winning a championship, the rebuild is the only option that makes sense. I wish the White Sox had tried the mediocre thing for a while, so you could see that it doesn’t work. Oh wait, they did try that. 

16 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How does that amaze you? Most people (not including you) are smart enough to realize that when the alternative is to be mediocre year after year with no chance of winning a championship, the rebuild is the only option that makes sense. I wish the White Sox had tried the mediocre thing for a while, so you could see that it doesn’t work. Oh wait, they did try that. 

Hi Blanco. My whole deal is the reason we were mediocre is incompetence of the front office. My contention is this tank/rebuild thing is not the only way to build a pennant winning team. Hell we won one in 2005 the old fashioned way and it's not my fault the front office BLEW a chance to dominate a crap division like the Braves did during that stretch ... forever! How do you all explain our first title? There was no tank involved there.

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hi Blanco. My whole deal is the reason we were mediocre is incompetence of the front office. My contention is this tank/rebuild thing is not the only way to build a pennant winning team. Hell we won one in 2005 the old fashioned way and it's not my fault the front office BLEW a chance to dominate a crap division like the Braves did during that stretch ... forever! How do you all explain our first title? There was no tank involved there.

actually there was a tank involved there, nobody expected them to win it in 2005.  They traded away their best offensive player in Lee for Podsednik and Vizcaino and Thomas was out with a broken foot, they took a chance on Jermaine Dye recovering from a broken leg, Maggs walked in free agency, they signed El Duque for nothing and their payroll was in the 70s.  Nobody expected the Twins to lose that division and the Sox were not predicted to win anything much less a World Series

But dont let facts get in the way of your constant whining

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I've written letters to JR for years. He's even responded to some of my letters in the past. He didn't respond to my letter last year when I requested to be interviewed for the job of White Sox GM. I feel the time is right to write him another letter. Its obvious to everybody that this White Sox season of 2018 is a complete train wreck. I sure don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this team. I can definitely see this team fighting for last place for years. The team is at the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings. One of his players (Lopez) said yesterday that they're playing like clowns. I think its time for a very drastic change. I'm going to request that he put the team up for sale. I realize he's making nothing but money with this team. Still, at his age how much money does he need? The franchise is a disgrace.  We need a new owner here. I know of at least 3 groups of people who want to buy the team. I'm curious to see if he responds to my letter. Better yet, hopefully he'll put the team up for sale.

Give it a rest Spaulding.

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

Almost all owners are not invested for profit. However long-term there is quite a gain on team values. Owners are fans like JR surely is.

This is true with few exceptions. One of them is the Bears where the McCaskeys have no other significant businesses other than the Bears.

JR made his money and still does in real estate.

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is true. This FO could not seem to get that to work so they are trying a different way. This way really is a more sound philosophy because it allows a middle revenue team to have a longer vision of success. The best thing the FO did was have Hostetler run the draft (except for the bad picks which were of course KW picks). He seems to have made this rebuild more sustainable with more promising players throughout the draft.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:22 AM, WBWSF said:

I had a interesting conversation with a Cubs fan this morning. He maintains that Theo Epstein wants to own a MLB team. I was thinking that if we had the good fortune of JR putting the White Sox up for sale, wouldn't it be something if Epstein bought the White Sox?  Epstein has produced winning teams at  every stop he has been. I would think that most White Sox fans would welcome him with open arms if he became the White Sox owner.

I have little doubt that JR will leave KW with an equity share in the Sox. My choice would be Mark Cuban .

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

I have little doubt that JR will leave KW with an equity share in the Sox. My choice would be Mark Cuban .

Don't think the MLB owners would approve Cuban. Didn't they already turn him down? Was it for the Cubs?

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't think the MLB owners would approve Cuban. Didn't they already turn him down? Was it for the Cubs?

A few things. PTATC is correct, the other owners would never allow Cuban in. He himself has said that if he were going to buy a team it would be the Pirates a team he grew up rooting for. He did have interest at one time in the Cubs but his first choice would be Pittsburgh.

Regarding JR and selling. JR himself has said many times publicly, that he is going to own the team until he dies and part of that reason is because if he were to sell the club before then, taxes on the profit would be significant. He is a tax guy, he knows the in's and out's. After he were to pass on if his family / investors sold the team they would not be as high.  

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox are NEVER losing money, and there is ALWAYS a huge profit.  How/why?  BECAUSE OF THE SWEETHEART LEASE DEAL THAT GUARANTEES THEM A HUGE PROFIT MARGIN EACH AND EVERY YEAR.  It's a forgotten fact but a very salient one to this discussion.  

The Cubs and Joe Ricketts  got plenty of favors from the City of Chicago including taking part of the streets surrounding the park.  And never forget how Arlington stadium was built  There are examples too numerous to mention of public financing and favorable tax treatment for private businesses including sports franchises to locate themselves in the city.

Machado will be worth more as the season progresses and teams feel he might be the final piece.

It might be possible for a non-contending team to trade for him now, then try to sign him to a long term deal.

If he doesn't agree, then trade him in a few weeks when teams will need him even more.

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Regarding JR and selling. JR himself has said many times publicly, that he is going to own the team until he dies and part of that reason is because if he were to sell the club before then, taxes on the profit would be significant. He is a tax guy, he knows the in's and out's. After he were to pass on if his family / investors sold the team they would not be as high.  

I am not an attorney, but have lost both my  parents.  The tax difference isn't a little thing.  If he sells the team, he will pay taxes on how much it appreciated while he owned it.  If he dies and the kids inherit it then later sell it, their tax basis is the value of the team when JR died not what he bought it for.  It could be a couple hundred million difference if the "death tax" has been abolished.  Unfortunately, I did not inherit an amount for me to learn the top end for taxes.  

2 hours ago, tray said:

The Cubs and Joe Ricketts  got plenty of favors from the City of Chicago including taking part of the streets surrounding the park.  And never forget how Arlington stadium was built  There are examples too numerous to mention of public financing and favorable tax treatment for private businesses including sports franchises to locate themselves in the city.

Tray, that was a great read.  Thanks.  I remember seeing this story on TV, probably when he was running for Pres the first time (circa 2000), but this was far more detailed.

Now they want a new stadium.  Not sure why?  Do you know?

Fulmer  lost last nights game for Charlotte but other than giving up two hits  had a good outing with 11 k’s in 7 innings and allowed three runs. Jimenez had a single and walk in his first game at AAA

Edited by elrockinMT