2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

On 6/29/2018 at 2:18 PM, tray said:

OT a bit even on the catch-all:

I only have HULU live for TV, no comcast cable.  HULU has the games on csn/nbc sports. However  I also want to watch our Sox when they are on WGN.  My question is, does WGN broadcast Sox games over the air through digital UHF and if so,  does anyone get that with an HD antenna ?

If you live in a chicagoland market, then you can get WGN with an HD antenna. I do. 

It comes in quite well. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 8:10 AM, knightni said:

They  may not be a problem, but they have holes in their games that don't help.

When your BB:K is 1:3+ that doesn't help the team.

They K too much.  If they made more contact,  a reasonable amount of that contact would be at least singles.  
I just don't see how they could possibly walk more than they do now, given the rest of their game. 

Donn Roach was 9-2 at Charlotte and was recently named the White Sox Minor League pitcher of the month. He's leaving to go to Japan. I take it he thought he had no future with the White Sox. I guess this means we're going to see Giolito (with his ERA of 7) in the White Sox starting rotation the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Donn Roach was 9-2 at Charlotte and was recently named the White Sox Minor League pitcher of the month. He's leaving to go to Japan. I take it he thought he had no future with the White Sox. I guess this means we're going to see Giolito (with his ERA of 7) in the White Sox starting rotation the rest of the season.

Donn Roach is almost 29 years old and has a career MLB ERA of nearly 6 in about 40 IP. You would've hated and complained about him as well.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Lol...what.  You’d rather see Donn Roach in our rotation than continue trying to develop Giolito??  Come on man, this is bad even for the “I hate rebuilds!” guys like yourself.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...what.  You’d rather see Donn Roach in our rotation than continue trying to develop Giolito??  Come on man, this is bad even for the “I hate rebuilds!” guys like yourself.

Giolito has no business being  on the White Sox team. Fulmer couldn't get anybody out and was sent down. Giolito can't get anybody out and he should be sent down. Roach at least deserved a chance to see how  he could do with the White Sox.

Edited by WBWSF
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Giolito has no business being  on the White Sox team. Fulmer couldn't get anybody out and was sent down. Giolito can't get anybody out and he should be sent down. Roach at least deserved a chance to see how  he could do with the White Sox.

We. are. not. trying. to. win. this. season.

We. are. giving. young. players. a. chance. to. take. their. lumps.

The. team. is. rebuilding.

Roach. is. a. AAAA. player.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, knightni said:

Some people will never understand.

You guys don't understand that we do understand. However we disagree with everything tanking stands for. It is an insult trying to lose just to get a fricking top 3 draft pick in baseball, the one sport in which tons of top draft picks fail or are nothing special. We do understand fully what's going on. I personally think it's sick and sad. Guess what? It's a reasonable position to say Gio and his 7.00 ERA could or should be in the minors figuring things out instead of learning in the bigs and taking his lumps. Young Sox pitchers are walking way too many batters. Partly the umps and their refusal to call the strike zone is to blame. But if a fan thinks Gio doesn't need to be stinking up the majors right now, that is a reasonable position even if you disagree and simply cry "REBUILD!"

Edited by greg775

18 minutes ago, knightni said:

Some people will never understand.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You guys don't understand that we do understand. However we disagree with everything tanking stands for. It is an insult trying to lose just to get a fricking top 3 draft pick in baseball, the one sport in which tons of top draft picks fail or are nothing special. We do understand fully what's going on. I personally think it's sick and sad.

Very clearly, they don't WANT to understand.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Very clearly, they don't WANT to understand.

How can you say they are wrong in wanting Gio in the minors instead of failing miserably in the majors? Their position is reasonable. 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

You guys don't understand that we do understand. However we disagree with everything tanking stands for. It is an insult trying to lose just to get a fricking top 3 draft pick in baseball, the one sport in which tons of top draft picks fail or are nothing special. We do understand fully what's going on. I personally think it's sick and sad.

And by golly you whine about every single day.  Go get a new hobby if the Sox rebuilding causes you so much angst & misery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You guys don't understand that we do understand. However we disagree with everything tanking stands for. It is an insult trying to lose just to get a fricking top 3 draft pick in baseball, the one sport in which tons of top draft picks fail or are nothing special. We do understand fully what's going on. I personally think it's sick and sad. Guess what? It's a reasonable position to say Gio and his 7.00 ERA could or should be in the minors figuring things out instead of learning in the bigs and taking his lumps. Young Sox pitchers are walking way too many batters. Partly the umps and their refusal to call the strike zone is to blame. But if a fan thinks Gio doesn't need to be stinking up the majors right now, that is a reasonable position even if you disagree and simply cry "REBUILD!"

I'll phrase it so you get my reference.

They're Kansas football right now, so later, they can be Kansas basketball.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And by golly you whine about every single day.  Go get a new hobby if the Sox rebuilding causes you so much angst & misery.

You guys are the ones attacking people with differing opinions. Not everybody in Chicago is on board with the tank job. Of course most fans simply don't care as the White Sox become less and less relevant. At least we anti-tank people care.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'll phrase it so you get my reference.

They're Kansas football right now, so later, they can be Kansas basketball.

But some of us feel the Sox could and should resemble Kansas State basketball, then with just one or two graduate transfers become Kansas basketball. Just like that.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

How can you say they are wrong in wanting Gio in the minors instead of failing miserably in the majors? Their position is reasonable. 

So is the rebuild.  Yet you and a few others refuse to acknowledge that fact.  Even with where I stood on the rebuild process, I have moved on and am not pursuing meaningless trolling of something that is dead and gone.

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

You guys are the ones attacking people with differing opinions. Not everybody in Chicago are on board with the tank job. Of course most fans simply don't care as the White Sox become less and less relevant.

Sorry, but there isn’t much to get.  Your boredom is not a reason to add a bunch of meaningless wins.  Tanking isn’t just about a high draft pick.  It’s also about giving young players an opportunity to show what they got.  Adding a bunch of mediocre veterans takes away that possibility.  It also wastes cash that could otherwise be used for more impactful players when the time is right.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Sorry, but there isn’t much to get.  Your boredom is not a reason to add a bunch of meaningless wins.  Tanking isn’t just about a high draft pick.  It’s also about giving young players an opportunity to show what they got.  Adding a bunch of mediocre veterans takes away that possibility.  It also wastes cash that could otherwise be used for more impactful players when the time is right.

I bet greg's bank account is perpetually at zero, as are his retirement accounts, meanwhile his credit cards are fully maxed out.  According to him, investing for the future is a waste of today.  Spend now, the future doesn't matter.

Eh I don't think it's unreasonable to see what he could have done again at the MLB level. Sure he doesn't miss many bats but neither do the current Sox starters so far. His upside is limited by age of course but he put up very good numbers except his K/9  but he throws strike and gets a lot of ground balls.  He probably would 've been called up this year at some point. But when the money presents itself you have to do whats best for you. Good luck in Japan Donn.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You could spin it another way you know. Finding diamonds in the rough is par for the course for rebuilds. Sure chances are he'd end up bad again and his age definitely wouldn't make him a part of the future but if he pitched well enough could 've ended up netting the Sox something besides whatever they got from the Japanese team that got him.  3/4 of the current 25 man roster won't be on the Sox in 2 years.Hell maybe the same for the 40 man.  Adding another one wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

We aren't trying to lose. Management would much rather be 7 games below .500 or 7 games above .500 and have Giolito with an ERA under 5, Moncada hitting .280, Fulmer not walking the world, etc. This year is evaluation and development for who's on our roster; next year will probably have a bunch more young guys on the roster. We want to see who we can use moving forward.