2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eh I don't think it's unreasonable to see what he could have done again at the MLB level. Sure he doesn't miss many bats but neither do the current Sox starters so far. His upside is limited by age of course but he put up very good numbers except his K/9  but he throws strike and gets a lot of ground balls.  He probably would 've been called up this year at some point. But when the money presents itself you have to do whats best for you. Good luck in Japan Donn.

I really believe if he had the impression he could play with the Sox this year, he wouldn't have left for Japan.  I am sure he had a discussion with the team before he left about his status.  For whatever reason, he felt his chances were more realistic in Japan.  My guess is that he would have asked if he had a chance, and the Sox must have told him no.  He must be behind enough guys on the depth chart that he didn't have a shot at the major league roster this year.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You could spin it another way you know. Finding diamonds in the rough is par for the course for rebuilds. Sure chances are he'd end up bad again and his age definitely wouldn't make him a part of the future but if he pitched well enough could 've ended up netting the Sox something besides whatever they got from the Japanese team that got him.  3/4 of the current 25 man roster won't be on the Sox in 2 years.Hell maybe the same for the 40 man.  Adding another one wouldn't be a terrible thing.

You don't cut bait on the former #1 overall pitching prospect in baseball for Donn Roach.  I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't apply in this case.  We could have given him a shot earlier this year when we needed a starter and we chose Volstad instead.  

Just now, Heads22 said:

We aren't trying to lose. Management would much rather be 7 games below .500 or 7 games above .500 and have Giolito with an ERA under 5, Moncada hitting .280, Fulmer not walking the world, etc. This year is evaluation and development for who's on our roster; next year will probably have a bunch more young guys on the roster. We want to see who we can use moving forward.

We also want to get value from the guys we end up dumping if we can. I'm not advocating anything drastic just saying would have been fine with me if Roach got a shot but we'll never know and that's OK too. There's a lot of names on the team now who will be gone including plenty of the guys who play mostly every day and those in the starting rotation.

We aren't trying to win either so if you aren't trying to win it means you're OK with losing as part of the plan.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I really believe if he had the impression he could play with the Sox this year, he wouldn't have left for Japan.  I am sure he had a discussion with the team before he left about his status.  For whatever reason, he felt his chances were more realistic in Japan.  My guess is that he would have asked if he had a chance, and the Sox must have told him no.  He must be behind enough guys on the depth chart that he didn't have a shot at the major league roster this year.

I think it was 90% a money choice. I'm sure he's getting a lot more money in Japan than he does in the minors. He's not getting younger and I'm sure he realistically knows his chances of getting a ML salary are slim.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You don't cut bait on the former #1 overall pitching prospect in baseball for Donn Roach.  I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't apply in this case.  We could have given him a shot earlier this year when we needed a starter and we chose Volstad instead.  

You notice I didn't once mention Giolito once  right ? So telling me you don't cut bait on him is preaching to the choir. Just saying he pitched very well at a high level . Just because he pitched better than Kopech doesn't mean I rather have him than Kopech but it means he does know how to pitch whether the stuff would ve translated we all kind of doubt it but scrap heap finds are all part of the process.

55 minutes ago, greg775 said:

But some of us feel the Sox could and should resemble Kansas State basketball, then with just one or two graduate transfers become Kansas basketball. Just like that.

Do you want to be the Astros, or the Blue Jays. Do you want to be the Cubs, or the Mets.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We also want to get value from the guys we end up dumping if we can. I'm not advocating anything drastic just saying would have been fine with me if Roach got a shot but we'll never know and that's OK too. There's a lot of names on the team now who will be gone including plenty of the guys who play mostly every day and those in the starting rotation.

We aren't trying to win either so if you aren't trying to win it means you're OK with losing as part of the plan.

Agreed.

56 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Do you want to be the Astros, or the Blue Jays. Do you want to be the Cubs, or the Mets.

That all depends if the scouts get it right or lucky and so does the development of players.  Seeing so many guys that don't know or can do the fundamentals doesn't make me confident.

10 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Sure. I would love to be the Astros or the Cubs. That is a lot easier said than done, however.

On the flipside, are you ready for another decade of no playoffs if this rebuild goes up in smoke?

1 hour ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Sure. I would love to be the Astros or the Cubs. That is a lot easier said than done, however.

On the flipside, are you ready for another decade of no playoffs if this rebuild goes up in smoke?

They weren't making the playoffs before the rebuild?

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They weren’t making the playoffs before AND had a bottom five farm system.  If we hadn’t decided to rebuild when we did, we would have been setup for a decade of disaster.  That’s why I can’t understand people are complaining about this.  Yes, it’s Rick & KW’s fault we got to that point, but rebuilding was the only real alternative.  Blowing it up was actually less risky than holding onto our guys and potentially losing them for nothing.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They weren’t making the playoffs before AND had a bottom five farm system.  If we hadn’t decided to rebuild when we did, we would have been setup for a decade of disaster.  That’s why I can’t understand people are complaining about this.  Yes, it’s Rick & KW’s fault we got to that point, but rebuilding was the only real alternative.  Blowing it up was actually less risky than holding onto our guys and potentially losing them for nothing.

It's a combination of people expected to see results immediately and people like Greg who would rather watch 80 win teams year in and year out hoping to sneak into the playoffs than watch rebuilding teams that has a chance to grow into a perennial contending team.

7 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

No. They weren't making the playoffs before the rebuild. Hence why I said another decade of no playoffs.

Are the people responsible for the playoff drought still around making poor decisions? 

The fact that Hahn couldn't even trade Moncada straight up for Tatis Junior right now tells me all I need to know about the current state of the rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

No. They weren't making the playoffs before the rebuild. Hence why I said another decade of no playoffs.

Are the people responsible for the playoff drought still around making poor decisions? 

The fact that Hahn couldn't even trade Moncada straight up for Tatis Junior right now tells me all I need to know about the current state of the rebuild. 

No you said "risking", meaning we had to the chance to make playoffs before rebuild. Rebuild or not, this team had a slim chance of making playoffs let alone go far in it.

Re: personnel, if you haven't notice the type of moves and draft picks we're making pre-rebuild vs. post rebuild has changed (clearly RH has more control now), then you haven't been paying close attention.

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

No you said "risking", meaning we had to the chance to make playoffs before rebuild. Rebuild or not, this team had a slim chance of making playoffs let alone go far in it.

Re: personnel, if you haven't notice the type of moves and draft picks we're making pre-rebuild vs. post rebuild has changed (clearly RH has more control now), then you haven't been paying close attention.

I never said "risking" anywhere in my post. I was in favor of a teardown but I wanted some fresh blood in charge of the rebuild. 

Some people around here seem to think that it is a foregone conclusion that this rebuild is gonna turn out like the Cubs and Astros did. That could happen, but the odds are heavily stacked against it. The people in charge of this rebuild are a couple tiers below the people in charge on the Northside and down in Houston. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Lol dude...I hope you are like 90 years old or something, because your lack of patience is astounding.

17 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

I never said "risking" anywhere in my post. I was in favor of a teardown but I wanted some fresh blood in charge of the rebuild. 

Some people around here seem to think that it is a foregone conclusion that this rebuild is gonna turn out like the Cubs and Astros did. That could happen, but the odds are heavily stacked against it. The people in charge of this rebuild are a couple tiers below the people in charge on the Northside and down in Houston. 

That’s perfectly fine you feel that way, but it doesn’t change the fact that your post history suggests you’re expecting instant results from a rebuild which is pretty fucking ridiculous.  And your hatred for Moncada is just bizarre.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol dude...I hope you are like 90 years old or something, because your lack of patience is astounding.

Fan and owner impatience used to be why teams succeeded. But then baseball TV money exploded and owners don't care as long as they have a low payroll and are raking in $$$ while waiting for tank-led rebuilds to bring WS titles someday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Fan and owner impatience used to be why teams succeeded. But then baseball TV money exploded and owners don't care as long as they have a low payroll and are raking in $$$ while waiting for tank-led rebuilds to bring WS titles someday.

What do you do for a living?

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

The Sox payroll a few years ago was pretty high and the team was dogshit. I still can't believe your solution to this thing is to continue to patch together the roster with vets every year.

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It's a combination of people expected to see results immediately and people like Greg who would rather watch 80 win teams year in and year out hoping to sneak into the playoffs than watch rebuilding teams that has a chance to grow into a perennial contending team.

I thought we were going to contend every year after winning it all in 05. But the White Sox pulled a Bears and it didn't take long to realize sadly we could not indeed dominate a division with small market teams because of bad ownership and bad player evaluation and bad performance of players as well as problems caused by Ozzie and KW, yes both of them, not just Ozzeroo.

Edited by greg775

Since returning to action from the disabled list on June 22, Garcia leads the Majors with the highest hard-hit rate per Statcast. Garcia's percentage checks in at 63.4 for balls hit with an exit velocity of 95+ mph, leading Nick Markakis (60.5), Manny Machado (60) and Hunter Renfroe (60).

Garcia has erased a slow start with a .339 average, 1.123 OPS, six home runs (now 7*) and nine (now 11*) RBIs upon getting healthy.

From Merkin on whitesox.com    * added by me

53 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The Sox payroll a few years ago was pretty high and the team was dogshit. I still can't believe your solution to this thing is to continue to patch together the roster with vets every year.

They were dogshit because they went half assed. If they are going to spend like a lot of posters here think they are going to spend, frontline starters, lockdown relievers, Manny Machado, if they would have done that when they had guys like Sale and Q and Eaton signed cheaply, they would have been just fine.

• Like 1