2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

Just curious as to what everyone thinks the reaction of the fans will be when Castillo comes back. Will he be booed, cheered, or will there be indifference?

Booed or indifference. No reason to cheer him. Hopefully he’s off the team by opening day next year. My wish is they just release him or trade him for a bag of balls.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Beef is back Aug 24.  Are suspended players eligible for minor league rehab?  If so, that's what could happen.

2 weeks prior to the end of suspension, I believe.  So I think he's technically eligible to play in the minors right now.  

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

Beef is back Aug 24.  Are suspended players eligible for minor league rehab?  If so, that's what could happen.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

2 weeks prior to the end of suspension, I believe.  So I think he's technically eligible to play in the minors right now.  

I wonder what the Sox will do in this situation. Too bad he wasn't suspended like a week later, they wouldn't have to waste an option on Narvaez or Smith (my guess is Smith will be DFA'd b/c I think he is out of options, orrr they run with 3 catchers until Sept. call-ups and send down a reliever). Can they DFA Castillo, or would they?

4 hours ago, flavum said:

Booed or indifference. No reason to cheer him. Hopefully he’s off the team by opening day next year. My wish is they just release him or trade him for a bag of balls.

Yeah I agree with this. My guess is there will be a few boos thrown in there but not many people will really care. I also hope he is not on the team next year. Narvaez will be just fine as the primary catcher. Not sure what Smith's contract situation looks like but he would be fine starting off the season as the back-up until they think Zavala is ready for the call. No need for Castillo IMO.

Edited by Scoots

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I wonder what the Sox will do in this situation. Too bad he wasn't suspended like a week later, they wouldn't have to waste an option on Narvaez or Smith (my guess is Smith will be DFA'd b/c I think he is out of options, orrr they run with 3 catchers until Sept. call-ups and send down a reliever). Can they DFA Castillo, or would they?

Yeah I agree with this. My guess is there will be a few boos thrown in there but not many people will really care. I also hope he is not on the team next year. Narvaez will be just fine as the primary catcher. Not sure what Smith's contract situation looks like but he would be fine starting off the season as the back-up until they think Zavala is ready for the call. No need for Castillo IMO.

Smith has already been optioned this year I am pretty sure.  So he could be optioned again.  Narvaez, who won't be optioned, should still have several left.  

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Smith has already been optioned this year I am pretty sure.  So he could be optioned again.  Narvaez, who won't be optioned, should still have several left.  

Smith has been optioned.  What I am hoping for is the Sox to not send Castillo for rehab until the end so he is returned to the active roster on Sept 1.

The fact is there isn't a single metric other than anecdotal speakings that support what you are saying, while every single measurable fact from multiple generations worth of data falls in my camp.

Perhaps your camp is on the North Side.  The biggest fallacy of your camp is that gauging the amount of fan support by attendance figures at the park is inherently flawed.   Wrigley is walking distance for many fans. Bridgeport is rapidly being gentrified and the South loop continues to creep toward 35th street, so that is changing.

Many, many things concerning the fan base have changed over the years and will change in ways that one cannot predict.  Joe Ricketts over-developed the Wrigley site and all that Ameritrade money maximized exposure. It won't last forever. Nothing does.

Sox outdrew the Cubs in several years before 1980 and in 1982, 1983, 1984 before the Harry Caray clown show moved to the North side. They will again at some point but in the meantime, there are many more Sox fans than Cub fans right now inside the city limits and in the South suburbs, and they are proving to be quite resilient. 

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What the heck are "outs above average."

Sounds like the subjective criteria similar to an error, "well most people wouldn't make it so we we'll give him an out above average."

On the far other end of the spectrum, Palka is tied for the worst outs above average at -13.

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here is a trivia question I would have never gotten.  Eliminating Jose Rondon due to small sample size, Daniel Palka has the worst UZR/150 on the team.  Who has the second worst?

Engel?

Edit: It's Yolmer isn't it. 

Edited by joejoedairy

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Kopech dominating against last night. He's ready. 

He’s ready. So is Jimenez. But we’re down to about 54 games, 1/3 of a season of meaningless games, so they’re under control for an extra year when the Sox are supposed to good. Easy choice for me. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, flavum said:

He’s ready. So is Jimenez. But we’re down to about 54 games, 1/3 of a season of meaningless games, so they’re under control for an extra year when the Sox are supposed to good. Easy choice for me. 

No argument. I get it, I really do. But I would love to watch these guys in Chicago. I mean the Reds just called up a guy from AA who was hitting .249. The Padres called up a pitcher a few days ago who has given up 20 hits in 9 innings pitched while these guys are in the minors. Still, I get it no argument. 

Also, if Kopech were to get the call, I think it's a logical idea that Dylan Cease would be brought up to AAA. I remember posting a thread about him during Spring training after i watched him against Seattle. There were a lot of questions about him then, questions that are getting answered each time Dylan takes the mound.

I can't deny being excited about a rotation of Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Gio-Lopez, and the potential they bring.

10 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

No argument. I get it, I really do. But I would love to watch these guys in Chicago. I mean the Reds just called up a guy from AA who was hitting .249. The Padres called up a pitcher a few days ago who has given up 20 hits in 9 innings pitched while these guys are in the minors. Still, I get it no argument. 

Also, if Kopech were to get the call, I think it's a logical idea that Dylan Cease would be brought up to AAA. I remember posting a thread about him during Spring training after i watched him against Seattle. There were a lot of questions about him then, questions that are getting answered each time Dylan takes the mound.

I can't deny being excited about a rotation of Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Gio-Lopez, and the potential they bring.

Don't forget Dunning and Hansen (if they are healthy)