2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

The versatility is fine, but I was thinking that Rondon might be a viable option at third. He really has taken a big step forward, this season. He hits RHP as well as LHP and 18 home runs, in just 80 games at Charlotte is impressive. He seems to be picking right where he left off, since his promotion. He obviously has sacrificed some average and OBP, in order to significantly increase his power, but still acceptable. The outfield seems pretty crowded, so being able to play there is not much of an advantage, in this organization. Perhaps management is trying to figure out a way to have one less bench player, by covering both the infield and outfield, with one guy.

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This issue is of course like so many Sox so-called outfielders, that he may not actually be able to play the outfield competently and will become a defensive liability.

In the past 9 seasons, the White Sox have given up a first round pick and $83 million in contracts (13 million not paid out) to try to fill the DH slot. They have had the brilliant idea to put Mark Kotsay there, they have spent big money, and overall the position has been a disaster there since Jim Thome was let go, and of course, that decision to let Jim Thome go was key to the Twins winning the division too. Preventing the org from having to spend that much money on a DH would be a real benefit.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

In the past 9 seasons, the White Sox have given up a first round pick and $83 million in contracts (13 million not paid out) to try to fill the DH slot. They have had the brilliant idea to put Mark Kotsay there, they have spent big money, and overall the position has been a disaster there since Jim Thome was let go, and of course, that decision to let Jim Thome go was key to the Twins winning the division too. Preventing the org from having to spend that much money on a DH would be a real benefit.

No doubt. That is the last position they need to spend a large contract on.

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Q: if the Sox could sweep the Cubs, knock them to the WCG and the Sox end up drafting 7th, or you lose all 3 gms vs the Cubs and draft 4th, which do you choose?

Lose.Lose.Lose.

Draft pick is way more important to the Sox future than whatever the Cubs are doing.

Even better is for Yoan, Timmy, and the rest of the kids to go nuts for the next two weeks.

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Q: if the Sox could sweep the Cubs, knock them to the WCG and the Sox end up drafting 7th, or you lose all 3 gms vs the Cubs and draft 4th, which do you choose?

The Sox aren’t dropping to 7th, so I’ll take that out of the equation. I’d want the highest pick possible with the exception of dropping from 5th to 6th by beating the Cubs enough to knock them out of a division win. But we’re not going to know that while playing them, so I don’t think I’d enjoy Sox wins next weekend to be honest.

4 series left- I’ll take 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 2-2, and whatever pick it is, fine.

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

Being from Montana I don't get so many peoples obsession with the cubs... What happens with them has zero effect on what I want for the us. They probably laugh at you for wanting their failure more than what is best for us.

IF you're a diehard White Sox fan, you also hate the Chubs, by definition.  It works the other way, also.  A much more intense love-hate relationship:  Bears and Packers.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

IF you're a diehard White Sox fan, you also hate the Chubs, by definition.  It works the other way, also.  A much more intense love-hate relationship:  Bears and Packers.

If you are a REAL die hard fan, you value the Sox future over the Cubs failure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

Why to I have to hate the cubs? We only play them a few times a year. I don't deal with a bunch of annoying cubs fans. My baseball "hate" is for divisional rivals and the annoying fans I deal with... which are mostly yanks and bosox (there are a lot of mariners fans here but they have nothing to be annoying about).

2 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

Why to I have to hate the cubs? We only play them a few times a year. I don't deal with a bunch of annoying cubs fans. My baseball "hate" is for divisional rivals and the annoying fans I deal with... which are mostly yanks and bosox (there are a lot of mariners fans here but they have nothing to be annoying about).

Sox fans who worry about the Cub play into the second-class narrative that describes them. The team that has kept the Sox from steady success are the Sox. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

There's probably a lot to envy.  Their ownership doesn't have a sense of loyalty to a fault.  They invest in experienced management while the Sox always look for someone who wore the uniform.  Two of our top prospects were originally theirs.  Their farm system is no joke. They have better scouting.  They are superior in many ways.  Reinsdorf's buddy system vs. Ricketts getting those who won.  I do fear when Reinsdorf is gone there will still be that status quo.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The statistic that I find most intriguing is his home run rate of one in every 15 at bats. That makes him a bonafide "slugger," and has the potential to fill the void of that elusive, middle of the order, left handed bat. If he can maintain that, going forward, that is one hole filled. Now, do they keep Avi and Abreu, next season and try to fill out the rotation, or do they trade them, and delay the contention window, until 2020, or beyond? What the front office does with those two will probably tell us, in which direction they want to go.  A lineup of Moncada, Avi, Abreu, Palka Eloy, Narvaez, Anderson etc, is probably good enough, if they have the pitching. 

Edited by Lillian
typo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The statistic that I find most intriguing is his home run rate of one in every 15 at bats. That makes him a bonafide "slugger," and has the potential to fill the void of that elusive, middle of the order, left handed bat. If he can maintain that, going forward, that is one hole filled. Now, do they keep Avi and Abreu, next season and try to fill out the rotation, or do they trade them, and delay the contention window, until 2020, or beyond? What the front does with those two will probably tell us, in which direction they want to go.  A lineup of Moncada, Avi, Abreu, Palka Eloy, Narvaez, Anderson etc, is probably good enough, if they have the pitching. 

Not to be giddy but I think he is still improving. Hitting to LF has made him a more complete hitter I believe. Needs to reduce the Ks a bit but is approaching 800 OPS. 

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

The statistic that I find most intriguing is his home run rate of one in every 15 at bats. That makes him a bonafide "slugger," and has the potential to fill the void of that elusive, middle of the order, left handed bat. If he can maintain that, going forward, that is one hole filled. Now, do they keep Avi and Abreu, next season and try to fill out the rotation, or do they trade them, and delay the contention window, until 2020, or beyond? What the front office does with those two will probably tell us, in which direction they want to go.  A lineup of Moncada, Avi, Abreu, Palka Eloy, Narvaez, Anderson etc, is probably good enough, if they have the pitching. 

Lots of .230-.240 hitters there.  Not gonna work.

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Not to be giddy but I think he is still improving. Hitting to LF has made him a more complete hitter I believe. Needs to reduce the Ks a bit but is approaching 800 OPS. 

Would love to see him walk a bit more before I think we can feel comfortable with him as a long term option for the contention window. He honestly reminds me a bit of pre-2018 left-handed version of Adam Duvall right now. That has value, but not as a main 3, 4, 5 spot in the lineup.

9 hours ago, oldsox said:

Lots of .230-.240 hitters there.  Not gonna work.

Yes, that's true, however that seems to be the norm, in this era. Even the good offensive teams don't seem to have very many high average hitters. It's a function of all of the strike outs. It's pretty hard to hit .300, when you strike out 25% to 30% of the time. Even that potent Cleveland lineup, is featuring lots of guys hitting below .275. With so many fire ballers coming out of the bull pens, and the emphasis on homers, there just aren't that many high average hitters, anymore. Among all MLB "qualifiers," there are only 50 players hitting .275 or better. That is less than 2 players, per team. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1