2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Watching the playoff game between Dodgers and Rockies.  Buehler pitching lights out for LA.  Geez, he looks great.  Could not help but notice that he was drafted in in first round by Dodgers at number 24 in 2015.  Same year we picked Carson Fulmer at number 8.  Both were teammates at Vanderbilt that year.  How could Sox be so wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Watching the playoff game between Dodgers and Rockies.  Buehler pitching lights out for LA.  Geez, he looks great.  Could not help but notice that he was drafted in in first round by Dodgers at number 24 in 2015.  Same year we picked Carson Fulmer at number 8.  Both were teammates at Vanderbilt that year.  How could Sox be so wrong?

The irony is that people were talking about how pissed they would be if the Sox took him. Jaren Kendal was the other one.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The irony is that people were talking about how pissed they would be if the Sox took him. Jaren Kendal was the other one.

Don't remember.  Jaren Kendal didn't even go in first round did he?

I guess everyone liked Fulmer's herky jerky delivery.  Buehler is smooth.

Buehler needed Tommy John Surgery when he was drafted. Regardless of how poorly I think we treated Fulmer, and regardless of the fact that the White Sox were trying to draft someone they could call up immediately to save their competitive team again and TJS couldn't have helped with that important problem, we weren't taking him at #9 with that injury.

According to the Awful Announcing web site and their story on final regional baseball network ratings for the 2018 season:

• Things are not great for the White Sox, A’s and Marlins: The White Sox were the only team to average a rating below 1.00 (a 0.68). They did that last year too with a .88, joined by the A’s at .68. The A’s actually showed some improvement this year, but their 1.07 was still second-worst, with the Marlins’ 1.08 (a drop from 1.32) third-worst.

Keep in mind the Sox TV deal with NBCSports Chicago expires after the 2019 season. Can the Sox convince any network that the ratings are awful because of the rebuild and that they'll get measurably better when the team starts to win? We'll see. I'd assume that will be the argument they are going to make. Will a network or networks accept it? Again we'll have to see.

Edited by Lip Man 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The numbers 100% don't support you.

I do think the fans will return w success on the field. But sports attendance has changed since the days when the sox could draw 2 Mil. Overall baseball attendance continues to drop at a steady rate. Oakland had a good year but saw attendance drop. Boston had one of the greatest years in their history but saw a decline at the gate. It is not only baseball. College basketball despite all the hype it receives is also on the decline w attendance. Obviously the options for fans to see games is affecting attendance but Ithink the White Sox will have a major hill to climb trying to bring back big fan numbers. Hopefully their rise will coincide with a Cub drop and they can attract the casual fan. I have said for many years that the White Sox do not do a good enough job selling corporate season tickets which can insulate to some extent down years on the field.   

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I do think the fans will return w success on the field. But sports attendance has changed since the days when the sox could draw 2 Mil. Overall baseball attendance continues to drop at a steady rate. Oakland had a good year but saw attendance drop. Boston had one of the greatest years in their history but saw a decline at the gate. It is not only baseball. College basketball despite all the hype it receives is also on the decline w attendance. Obviously the options for fans to see games is affecting attendance but Ithink the White Sox will have a major hill to climb trying to bring back big fan numbers. Hopefully their rise will coincide with a Cub drop and they can attract the casual fan. I have said for many years that the White Sox do not do a good enough job selling corporate season tickets which can insulate to some extent down years on the field.   

Worth noting - The Red Sox raised their ticket prices by 2.5% this year, 2nd straight year they've raised them by that amount. 

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Diamondbacks are confirmed sellers this offseason, any longterm pieces there of any interest?

I've read that they are only listening on some rental players at the beginning of the off-season and then based on the offers, deciding if they will rebuild or try to contend. I mean, I guess a team in that position could middle it? Trade the guys with one year left for prospects and also try to sign free agents?

Edited by soxfan2014

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn't this mean a little more if Giolito actually had an ERA below 6.00?

What's next, Adam Engel speaking about the impact Todd Steverson has had on his offensive game?

Couldn't have said it any better.  There has to be someone in the farm worth giving that rotation spot to rather than have it filled with some washed up veteran who had the gall to complain about the Sox performance when he was very bad himself at the time we traded for him and needed him most.  The only consoling part about that trade is we didn't give up much to get him...