2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

Couldn't have said it any better.  There has to be someone in the farm worth giving that rotation spot to rather than have it filled with some washed up veteran who had the gall to complain about the Sox performance when he was very bad himself at the time we traded for him and needed him most.  The only consoling part about that trade is we didn't give up much to get him... 

Have the rotation be Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, a bounce-back veteran type with some upside (NOT Shields as he had no trade value this year), and then a battle between Stephens, Guerrero, Fulmer, anyone else worth a look next year for the 5th spot.

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Have the rotation be Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, a bounce-back veteran type with some upside (NOT Shields as he had no trade value this year), and then a battle between Stephens, Guerrero, Fulmer, anyone else worth a look next year for the 5th spot.

If people didn't like Shields the reaction to these three at the major league level would be stellar.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It would also be worth pointing out how much Giolitto improved over the course of the season, but it would be pointless in most cases.

I think the last few outings were tired arm personally, but the response to this isn't hard. September, after that "improvement", was his worst month of the season. He put up a 9.27 ERA and a 1.925 WHIP and a 0.926 OPS in September. If that's "how much he improved"....well....someone else finish the rest.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It would also be worth pointing out how much Giolitto improved over the course of the season, but it would be pointless in most cases.

6.18 ERA first half. Got it down to 6.04 in the second. I am not as optimistic about this as you. He did have his moments. But lots of people could put up the numbers he put up.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If people didn't like Shields the reaction to these three at the major league level would be stellar.

Well at least they are young . 3 pitchers , 5 If we count Spencer Adams and Covey. Less if any of them are drafted in the rule 5 or released. One thing we know for sure Shields isn't young so no upside. If next year is going to be a total disaster might as well start with Covey in the rotation and give then all a shot to show us anything. That's what you want right ?

I think we as fans overlook the advantage of leaving a ptcher down in AAA rather than thinking they should fill the 4/5 rotation slot. We saw Fulmer and how his poor showing in the majors has hurt him. I would rather have Shields back than just rushing a young pitcher only to see them not ready to pitch in the majors. Some players will bounce back but some really struggle to make it back when they fail miserably in their first season.  

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well at least they are young . 3 pitchers , 5 If we count Spencer Adams and Covey. Less if any of them are drafted in the rule 5 or released. One thing we know for sure Shields isn't young so no upside. If next year is going to be a total disaster might as well start with Covey in the rotation and give then all a shot to show us anything. That's what you want right ?

Even if Covey starts off in the rotation, we need someone in the 4th slot who can at least cover some innings. If people have names who fill that option better than Shields, I'm happy to listen, but as usual I hate the concept of this fanciful "bounce back pitcher who must exist but who I will not name". 

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It isn't what I want.  I want innings covered in 2019 as a place holder for the high end arms that will be here soon.  Covey is also needed at this point with the injury to Kopech.  Adams, Guerrro and Stephens aren't factors, or they would have been up in September instead of a guy like Rob Scahill.

Talent evaluation requires more than an analysis of statistics.

Giolito had had a high ERA but consider  other factors. He is a tall pitcher who has a great curve ball and can get leverage on his fast ball when he needs to. He is a smart kid who can and will  learn how to pitch better.

I want him in our rotation in 2019 because, given what I have observed, I believe he will develop into a solid starting pitcher.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Can the Sox convince any network that the ratings are awful because of the rebuild and that they'll get measurably better when the team starts to win?

As always, and as it relates to our White Sox, it comes down to just WINNING.  

WIN, and that will take care of all that ails the franchise, meaning those bottom barrel attendance and TV/radio ratings.  But the solution isn’t just about winning one season, and then taking off 24 years between the next time the WINNING happens again (i.e., 1959-1983), or taking off a full decade (1983-1993, or 2008-2018) between playoff appearances.  WIN, dammit, and they will come!

In the meantime, for the first time EVER in this franchise’s history, we should be encouraging the current owner to maximize the subsidized profits he received the year prior on a run of postseason appearances.  And in the process, build up interest in the team that will generate the kind of loyalty in the team that other successful organizations enjoy.  

Edited by Fan O'Faust

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox won’t get where the Cubs are, but right before they started winning, Cubs TV ratings were dismal as well.

Kind of ironic. I spend the winters in Florida and am amazed at how poorly the Rays draw. Yet all the talk last year was of a new stadium. But I did see an artcile recently that the Rays TV ratings were very good. So many senior fans who won't go to the ballpark but won't miss a game on TV. I guess the bulk of the ads are for medications instead of beer. 

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Yankees are going to trade Sonny Gray. He won't cost anything and his arb figure won't be much. I would much prefer rolling the dice with him than bringing Shields back.

Agreed.

Edit: totally seems like a typical Pirates add that they receive great results on.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 10/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Dick Allen said:

The Yankees are going to trade Sonny Gray. He won't cost anything and his arb figure won't be much. I would much prefer rolling the dice with him than bringing Shields back.

Totally agree. Depends on what the Yankees are asking for, but he's exactly the type of player the Sox should look to bring in to the rotation.

8 hours ago, Real said:

what a bizarre article, the framing is ridiculous

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sorry-white-sox-fans-dreaming-142520102.html

Haha thanks for sharing this.  I can’t stop reading it!  Your take is spot on.  

“Sorry to burst your bubble White Sox fans.” has me in tears.

What a funny position to take, being the one responsible for letting Sox fans know the player they aren’t even remotely unanimously interested in grew up rooting for a different team and said it would be cool to play there.

It’s almost onion worthy.  I’d love to write articles like his all day.  

“Sorry so and so, those so and sos you don’t care about won’t be coming this year.  Try not to kill yourself if you can help it. “

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This would actually be great news.  If the Yankees put a bunch of money into Corbin, the odds go down that they will put a bunch of money into Machado as well.

Their Payroll coming into next year is about $140 million. The Luxury tax line is around $200 million right now. They could conceivably add both without crossing the tax line.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Their Payroll coming into next year is about $140 million. The Luxury tax line is around $200 million right now. They could conceivably add both without crossing the tax line.

Last year, it was $197m. Next year, it jumps up to $206m, which is the biggest jump per season so far. This season was a great year for teams to reset their penalties. 

Edited by soxfan2014