2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

I have a question or two about the Sale trade for Moncada /Kopech...

Did Hahn want Benintendi more than Moncada or more than Kopech as one of the players in that trade?

Did Dave Dombrowski insist that Benintendi  not be offered in that trade?

I know the Red Sox wanted to trade Kopech and that Moncada was not happy playing third there.

Right now, I would trade Mioncada and Kopech for Benintendi.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Did Hahn want Benintendi more than Moncada or more than Kopech as one of the players in that trade?

I know the Red Sox wanted to trade Kopech and that Moncada was not happy playing third there.

None of this is actually known publicly.

11 hours ago, tray said:

Based on the comments Hahn has said publicly about the trade, it was either Moncada/Kopech/Basabe or Benintendi and some of the lesser prospects like Dalbec, and Ockimey, which were well thought of at the time, but not nearly T100 guys. 

the success or failure of the trade would have been solely on the shoulders of Benintendi if they took that one. If he flopped here, there would have been nothing else in the package that had star potential. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Based on the comments Hahn has said publicly about the trade, it was either Moncada/Kopech/Basabe or Benintendi and some of the lesser prospects like Dalbec, and Ockimey, which were well thought of at the time, but not nearly T100 guys. 

the success or failure of the trade would have been solely on the shoulders of Benintendi if they took that one. If he flopped here, there would have been nothing else in the package that had star potential. 

Do you have a source for this?  I haven't seen it.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you have a source for this?  I haven't seen it.

If you want to go through all of the interviews Hahn has done on the radio or podcasts since 12/2016, be my guest. He alluded to this on one of them. It was a read between the lines type thing. It was fairly obvious what he was saying, but he wasn't allowed to discuss details because of GM code

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you want to go through all of the interviews Hahn has done on the radio or podcasts since 12/2016, be my guest. He alluded to this on one of them. It was a read between the lines type thing. It was fairlu obvious what he was saying, but he wasn't allowed to discuss details because of GM code

So no?  I have not seen this reported anywhere yet, so color me skeptical.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So no?  I have not seen this reported anywhere yet, so color me skeptical.

There isn't a concrete report about it. He specifically said in an interview that the Red Sox gave him two packages and said pick one. It is unknown what the other package contained but reading between the lines it must have been either Benintendi or Devers, woth lesser prospects surrounding them. Hahn and Dombrowski, and their FO are the only people on earth who know who else was being discussed. 

I've never seen anything like that. The fairly in-depth Boston Globe piece basically said the sox had Moncada/Kopech agreed on through the weekend but had been haggling on third piece until sox finally relented and went for basabe/diaz.

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've never seen anything like that. The fairly in-depth Boston Globe piece basically said the sox had Moncada/Kopech agreed on through the weekend but had been haggling on third piece until sox finally relented and went for basabe/diaz.

This is what I remember, and can't recall anything like the other story.  My impression was that we were asking for a bigger third piece, when Boston offered us two pieces to make up for the lesser piece.

The Sox will have Nate Jones at league minimum next year, correct? If so, anyone who has an MLBtr accont go back up a poor fan who is debating with a few other posters (including the author of the article) on MLBtr about the exact amount of his option for next year lol

Edit: nevermind, the surgery is TJ specific. His last surgery wasn't TJ.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, bmags said:

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is what I remember, and can't recall anything like the other story.  My impression was that we were asking for a bigger third piece, when Boston offered us two pieces to make up for the lesser piece.

That was the initial story, but Hahn went into further detail in his interviews throughout 2017. I really don't know if you can find those interviews anywhere on the internet though. 

On 10/12/2018 at 5:03 AM, Dick Allen said:

The Sox won’t get where the Cubs are, but right before they started winning, Cubs TV ratings were dismal as well.

I still don't get what the Cub have done to affect the Sox. I don't blame my neighbor when I have a bad day. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I still don't get what the Cub have done to affect the Sox. I don't blame my neighbor when I have a bad day. 

Both teams are in competition for the entertainment dollar and the "casual" fan. When one organization basically abdicates their own home market for whatever reason or reasons to the other team, that has direct ramifications on the bottom line.

I was hoping to sign onto SoxTalk and have some additional information on Enoy Jimenez. I found nothing on Google, barely anything on Twitter. Seems like a mystery to me.

My assumption is he's a non prospect with a good bloodline... but does anybody know the scoop on him at all? Surprised with his connection to Eloy that this wasn't more of a story.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I was hoping to sign onto SoxTalk and have some additional information on Enoy Jimenez. I found nothing on Google, barely anything on Twitter. Seems like a mystery to me.

My assumption is he's a non prospect with a good bloodline... but does anybody know the scoop on him at all? Surprised with his connection to Eloy that this wasn't more of a story.

I would say the fact that he was still unsigned at this juncture of the signing period and had no fanfare compared to bloodline players like Tejada Jr is a good indication that he is not well thought of. 

But, 17 year olds can have weird growth spurts and it does no harm.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would say the fact that he was still unsigned at this juncture of the signing period and had no fanfare compared to bloodline players like Tejada Jr is a good indication that he is not well thought of. 

But, 17 year olds can have weird growth spurts and it does no harm.

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Tejada after the Sox didn't sign him?  I haven't heard his name at all since July.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Tejada after the Sox didn't sign him?  I haven't heard his name at all since July.

It turned out the reason the deal fell through was he failed a drug test for PEDs.

Shocker right?!