2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Shields had more than one horrific start before the Tatis trade, IIRC.

I'm surprised some intrepid Chicago reporter doesn't make a public issue of this trade.  Or, did someone do this?

More like no one truly cares about the Sox in the Chicago media, which is example 500 of why Hahn still kept his job somehow. I think the Chicago media had better things to do after the 2016 regular season ended.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Did Preller hide the box score of Shields last start before the trade?

Shields was having a very good season aside from one bad start (2 IP, 10 R) which inflated his stats. He had a 3.06 ERA outside of that one start.

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Shields was having a very good season aside from one bad start (2 IP, 10 R) which inflated his stats. He had a 3.06 ERA outside of that one start.

The Padres owner had publicly called out Shields, by name, for being unprepared for the year right after that 10 R start.

Of course, Hahn gave an injured pitcher, Johnson, as part of the deal.  Still have no idea how Preller convinced our boy to throw in Tatis, who had just received $800,000 or so from Sox as signing bonus.  You can shake the dice up as much as you want, Hahn still got fleeced, baseless slander notwithstanding.

Shields' velocity was also down. How many scouts, if any, did the Sox have in Safeco for his last start?  They should have known that from their readings.
Regardless of how well he was pitching, this should have been nothing more than a salary dump. There is no way you give up a legit prospect in this situation.  Not to mention your top international signee.   

Edited by GreenSox

On 7/8/2018 at 12:15 AM, Timmy U said:

The blame for Shields is wishful thinking on the part of the front office.  They got off to a blistering start, then they gave it all back similar to this year’s Mets.  They chose to believe that they could somehow contend rather than looking at the evidence that the team just wasn’t that good.  Even if Shields had been good, the trade would have been disastrous.  The fact that he was bad is just the cherry on top.  I remember that the details of the trade leaked out and Keith Law was like “Nooooo!”  He had scouts from other orgs telling him that, were he eligible for the draft, He Who Shall Not Be Named would have been picked 1-1.  We ought to hire those scouts.

The entire Shields trade was a fucking travesty, and the moment anyone in that organization had the stupid idea to trade for him, they, and all their co-workers should have been fired on the spot for even thinking stupid things. It was so moronically stupid that I actually didn't believe that the rumors were real; I thought my scrubs fans buddies were messing with me, so I paid it little-to-no attention. Until it happened.

About the bolded, I'm not picking on YOU, but that whole phrase is fucking stupid. This front office has earned every scrap of criticism, scorn, ridicule, and disdain that they've caused for themselves, this team, and this fandom. Using that phrase lets those imbeciles "off the hook" a bit, IMHO. I'd love whoever came up with that phrase to actually ask Hahn & KW WTF those morons were thinking, rather than using "kid gloves" on them. [If memory serves, I think it was some media type or blogger type who gives KW, Hahn, et. al a pass by inventing the bolded phrase.]

On balance, I think this is why many fans here are impatient with this process: The same short-bus MFers that crapped their pants as Front Office types for nearly two decades [and gave away TATIS for a pittance] are supposed to be entrusted to un-fuck this team. Houston and the scrubs fired the morons that screwed up their teams, and brought in professionals that could actually do the job, and the results spoke for themselves.

I just don't think we should be so easy on people who were too dumb to see the Tatis-for-Shields trade as being a good idea. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

The entire Shields trade was a fucking travesty, and the moment anyone in that organization had the stupid idea to trade for him, they, and all their co-workers should have been fired on the spot for even thinking stupid things. It was so moronically stupid that I actually didn't believe that the rumors were real; I thought my scrubs fans buddies were messing with me, so I paid it little-to-no attention. Until it happened.

About the bolded, I'm not picking on YOU, but that whole phrase is fucking stupid. This front office has earned every scrap of criticism, scorn, ridicule, and disdain that they've caused for themselves, this team, and this fandom. Using that phrase lets those imbeciles "off the hook" a bit, IMHO. I'd love whoever came up with that phrase to actually ask Hahn & KW WTF those morons were thinking, rather than using "kid gloves" on them. [If memory serves, I think it was some media type or blogger type who gives KW, Hahn, et. al a pass by inventing the bolded phrase.]

On balance, I think this is why many fans here are impatient with this process: The same short-bus MFers that crapped their pants as Front Office types for nearly two decades [and gave away TATIS for a pittance] are supposed to be entrusted to un-fuck this team. Houston and the scrubs fired the morons that screwed up their teams, and brought in professionals that could actually do the job, and the results spoke for themselves.

I just don't think we should be so easy on people who were too dumb to see the Tatis-for-Shields trade as being a good idea. YMMV.

I love you Two Gun Pete. I should read this over and over when I'm mad at the pathetic state of the White Sox. If Tatis is a star, I said "if," it will go down as the second worse trade in Chicago history (Broglio for Brock).

33 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Shields may have been an unwise risk but Tatis was not a highly ranked prospect. We got out-scouted you could say. 

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love you Two Gun Pete. I should read this over and over when I'm mad at the pathetic state of the White Sox. If Tatis is a star, I said "if," it will go down as the second worse trade in Chicago history (Broglio for Brock).

Actually, you are wrong.  IF, as you said, IF Tatis is a star, it will be the worst trade in Chi history.  Not second worst.  Remember, Brock had a couple of years with the Cubs, and Broglio had some success with Cards prior to trade.  Without a crystal ball,  there was a slight argument for the trade.  Very slight.  Of course, Broglio was hurt and Cubs were too stupid to see that, and Brock was still very young, and it is now history.  Everyone knew Shields was hurt and had no chance.  Tatis trade will probably surpass the Brock trade.

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

Shields may have been an unwise risk but Tatis was not a highly ranked prospect. We got out-scouted you could say. 

He was unranked because he had not played yet.  We gave him $800,000ish bonus. 

39 minutes ago, pcq said:

Nah, they thought that THAT crappy 2016 team, with THAT crappy roster, and THAT crappy manager had a snowball's chance in hell to compete.

THEN, they thought that a 33 year old SP in steep decline was the "missing piece" to help that cavalcade of bad "over the top."

All of that was about as stoopid as attaching jumper cables to your nuts. Trading ANYTHING beyond salary relief to get that bad asset was as stoopid as attaching the other end of the jumper cables to a fully-charged car battery.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s not exactly a huge bonus.  He wasn’t even our largest signing that period.

Big enough to give him at least one year of OB.

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Hey guys -- any updated rumors/thoughts on when Eloy might see the big league roster?

He's still on the DL I think which is going to set him back. Personally I hope he stays in Charlotte for the season now and keeps getting experience. No need to start his service time clock now.