2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, The Grinder said:

My cub fans friends dont even banter w me anymore, like one told me its like teasing a handicapped person. You just dont do it.....I just get tired of being a punching bag for other teams.  

Just remind them about how many 100 loss seasons they had during their down years and the 108 years between WS.

5 hours ago, The Grinder said:

My cub fans friends dont even banter w me anymore, like one told me its like teasing a handicapped person. You just dont do it.....I just get tired of being a punching bag for other teams.  

Yeah, it's not fun having a bad season.  If it makes you feel any better, when we go home without a WS trophy this season it will be because we're in year 2 of a rebuild.  When they do, it will mean another year of their supposed "dynasty window" squandered.

9 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I talked enough shit after the 2005 season as a cocky 23 year old that I still deserve the ribbing, but my Cubs friends don't care anymore. Or are too busy watching good baseball.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

The entire Shields trade was a fucking travesty, and the moment anyone in that organization had the stupid idea to trade for him, they, and all their co-workers should have been fired on the spot for even thinking stupid things. It was so moronically stupid that I actually didn't believe that the rumors were real; I thought my scrubs fans buddies were messing with me, so I paid it little-to-no attention. Until it happened.

About the bolded, I'm not picking on YOU, but that whole phrase is fucking stupid. This front office has earned every scrap of criticism, scorn, ridicule, and disdain that they've caused for themselves, this team, and this fandom. Using that phrase lets those imbeciles "off the hook" a bit, IMHO. I'd love whoever came up with that phrase to actually ask Hahn & KW WTF those morons were thinking, rather than using "kid gloves" on them. [If memory serves, I think it was some media type or blogger type who gives KW, Hahn, et. al a pass by inventing the bolded phrase.]

On balance, I think this is why many fans here are impatient with this process: The same short-bus MFers that crapped their pants as Front Office types for nearly two decades [and gave away TATIS for a pittance] are supposed to be entrusted to un-fuck this team. Houston and the scrubs fired the morons that screwed up their teams, and brought in professionals that could actually do the job, and the results spoke for themselves.

I just don't think we should be so easy on people who were too dumb to see the Tatis-for-Shields trade as being a good idea. YMMV.

One of the best and most colorfully worded rants  I have ever seen. I had to trophy you for it and really don't understand the 4 confused faces you got for it.

Basically you and Balta say the same thing about those "driving the short bus". You focused more on the Tatis trade and the following comments make excuses for it . But the thread that followed the trade was overwhelmingly against it.

At this point most are also giving Hahn a free pass because of the talent he has accumulated in trades and he has done well in that regard . But it's the finishing touches that worry me the most, the coming trades and free agents signings. His record there has not been good. It fact its been poor and I also have spit into the wind on the Hahn bandwagon as has Balta at times and Fathom .

Of course there are as many ideas on here on how the rest of the rebuild should proceed as there are posters. I also worry that while the minors are stacked the ML roster is a total wreck . The Sox have not found one diamond in the rough while contenders like the Dodgers and Brewers have found guys  guys like Taylor, Muncy and Aguilar. That should be a big concern because it still seems as if the talent evaluators are failing and the struggles of Moncada , Giolito and Fulmer also don't help in that regard.

We are just not getting any instant success stories with waiver claims or the youth and thats what is so disconcerting when we see the prospects on other teams just come up and flouish . Being in a rebuild should only make the Sox chances better at producng those kinds of success stories but nothing, nada zip, zilch.

All the All Stars  in the minors has to be tempered with all the injuries there also. There just hasn't been a lot to be happy about this year and thats why we are seeing a lot more negative posts . Yes we all must be patient but concerns about the "bus drivers" are legitimate.

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

One of the best and most colorfully worded rants  I have ever seen. I had to trophy you for it and really don't understand the 4 confused faces you got for it.

Basically you and Balta say the same thing about those "driving the short bus". You focused more on the Tatis trade and the following comments make excuses for it . But the thread that followed the trade was overwhelmingly against it.

I don't think that's what this poster meant by "short bus" and I think that's part of why he got those reactions. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No update on Eloy on Twitter from what I can tell.  He was scheduled to return in "two weeks", 10 days ago.  So he should be returning this weekend or early next week according to the initial timetable.

Hahn said he's "progressing well" and that he may force his way into the Majors in the "not too distance future" the other day. So I'd expect him back this weekend too. 

30 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No update on Eloy on Twitter from what I can tell.  He was scheduled to return in "two weeks", 10 days ago.  So he should be returning this weekend or early next week according to the initial timetable.

There was one the other day. I believe it was 7/10 and they said he'd be hitting the field again in 5-7 days.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think that's what this poster meant by "short bus" and I think that's part of why he got those reactions. 

Hmm I think it is. Either they are driving the short bus or occupants in it ,either way he refers to the front office as those types who proved by the trade that they belong on the short bus. I just refered to them as the driver because they are the ones in charge of the rebuild. I mean it's a cruel term no doubt but I'm fairly certain I understand it's use there.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
grammer error
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This.  It was a cute way of trying to call the front office by the R word, without actually having the guts to just say it.  The intent of the phrase is crystal clear.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, pcq said:

Shields may have been an unwise risk but Tatis was not a highly ranked prospect. We got out-scouted you could say. 

Just think how many rungs there are on the ladder between the scouts and the guys who make the trade. That's a lot of people in between who could have said something . He wasnt ranked because he hadn't even played yet. If you go thorough the process of spending 800K on a guy maybe should wait to see what you have before you trade him. We didn't get out scouted we got out everything'd up and down the ladder of decison making with Shields and Tatis with the ultimate responsibliy falling on the ones who pulled the trigger. Just another bad decison along with the Dunn's , LaRoche,Keppinger, Samardzija all trying to patch major holes with questionable acquisitions hoping for the 2005 magic acquisitions to repeat themselves.

When you rely on a wing and a prayer ( or as some refer to it as half assed) to acquire talent, more often than not you are going to fail

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This.  It was a cute way of trying to call the front office by the R word, without actually having the guts to just say it.  The intent of the phrase is crystal clear.

If thats the case then we are in agreement . I understood it fully and I stand by my support of the post.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If thats the case then we are in agreement . I understood it fully and I stand by my support of the post.

Yes, this was an obvious attempt to insult someone by caging it up in a less obvious insult which everyone is going to get the cultural reference to.  This is using something like "thug" when you really want to use the N word, but know you can't.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 1:16 PM, The Grinder said:

They've been a punching bag for 100 years so at least they know when to hold back. Epstein oversaw a complete teardown it's necessary it's the only way we'll compete.

The only thing that sort of sucks is we have missed on some guys that will prolong the process.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Like who?

Well Gio and Fulmer for instance. The Burger pick doesn't look so hot. Burdi looks like he may never be healthy.

Ian Clarkson is a guy like Gio we traded for oft injured hoping he'd regain his stuff. Hasn't happened.

Kopech has really struggled in AAA.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Well Gio and Fulmer for instance. The Burger pick doesn't look so hot. Burdi looks like he may never be healthy.

Ian Clarkson is a guy like Gio we traded for oft injured hoping he'd regain his stuff. Hasn't happened.

Welcome to rebuilding. 

2 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

From the little I've read Burdi looks to be on target for pitching next year in the minors. Perhaps even as soon as this fall in the AFL. 

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

when you really want to use the N word, but know you can't.

Interesting that you're willing to admit that you sometimes want to use the N word...

Go ahead & feel good about that, but I stand by my post. Everything about that move was stoopid. If it hurts you to read that many think that that move was stoopid, I apologize.

But that trade was stoopid, full stop. Recommend your own metaphor to describe it as such, or defend the genius of it, if you care to do so. But I don't use the "R word," though I have been called the "N word" to my face.

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Interesting that you're willing to admit that you sometimes want to use the N word...

Go ahead & feel good about that, but I stand by my post. Everything about that move was stoopid. If it hurts you to read that many think that that move was stoopid, I apologize.

But that trade was stoopid, full stop. Recommend your own metaphor to describe it as such, or defend the genius of it, if you care to do so. But I don't use the "R word," though I have been called the "N word" to my face.

Of course you don't.  You are the kind who tried to hide it instead, by implying it with the "short bus" implied connotation instead of just coming out and saying it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At this point most are also giving Hahn a free pass because of the talent he has accumulated in trades and he has done well in that regard . But it's the finishing touches that worry me the most, the coming trades and free agents signings. His record there has not been good. It fact its been poor and I also have spit into the wind on the Hahn bandwagon as has Balta at times and Fathom .

Of course there are as many ideas on here on how the rest of the rebuild should proceed as there are posters. I also worry that while the minors are stacked the ML roster is a total wreck . The Sox have not found one diamond in the rough while contenders like the Dodgers and Brewers have found guys  guys like Taylor, Muncy and Aguilar. That should be a big concern because it still seems as if the talent evaluators are failing and the struggles of Moncada , Giolito and Fulmer also don't help in that regard.

We are just not getting any instant success stories with waiver claims or the youth and thats what is so disconcerting when we see the prospects on other teams just come up and flouish . Being in a rebuild should only make the Sox chances better at producng those kinds of success stories but nothing

Agreed that Hahn, et al rightly receive praise for the accumulation of assets. At the same time, we can't let them off the hook when they shit the bed, IMHO. 

But, the development of youngsters has been a fucking running joke here, among the position players for DAMN near two decades. Add into it the failure of many of the top SP prospects to master FB control, & I think many of us are rightly concerned. (Thinking of walk machines Kopech, Gio, Fulmer, & even Rodon's inconsistency in this regard.)

If Moncada and others cannot reach his potential, and/or it takes longer for them to do so, we may never reach the "finishing touches" stage.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of course you don't.  You are the kind who tried to hide it instead, by implying it with the "short bus" implied connotation instead of just coming out and saying it. 

And I didn't use the R word. Do you want to call me the N word?

Are we not allowed to fairly criticize the Front Office? 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete