Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

2018 White Sox catch-all thread

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm not trying to be a "smart aleck," and I don't know exactly what to think of Covey, myself. However, I'm just wondering if you have reconsidered your assessment of his future, with the Sox. One has to be impressed with his stuff. If he can learn to be consistent, it seems that he is certainly at least a legitimate 5TH starter, on a good staff. This seems to be an important question to answer, as he could really help fill out next year's rotation, while the Sox wait for Kopech, Cease and Dunning, in 2020. 

He has definitely had his moments. That was  a spring training line up he was facing yesterday, but he did shut them down, and has shut a few teams down this season. Might as well keep on truckin with him. There obviously is something there. Whether it can be there on a more consistent basis is the question.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He has definitely had his moments. That was  a spring training line up he was facing yesterday, but he did shut them down, and has shut a few teams down this season. Might as well keep on truckin with him. There obviously is something there. Whether it can be there on a more consistent basis is the question.

If you're anything like me, watching him and the hitters' reactions, is more revealing than the box score. I don't care whom he was facing, his pitches look very nasty. 

Edited by Lillian

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

I'm not trying to be a "smart aleck," and I don't know exactly what to think of Covey, myself. However, I'm just wondering if you have reconsidered your assessment of his future, with the Sox. One has to be impressed with his stuff. If he can learn to be consistent, it seems that he is certainly at least a legitimate 5TH starter, on a good staff. This seems to be an important question to answer, as he could really help fill out next year's rotation, while the Sox wait for Kopech, Cease and Dunning, in 2020. 

No I haven't. He'll throw a good game then stink the joint up in the next five. He's quad AAAA filler in my opinion.

I have Covey penciled in as sixth man out of the pen which is valuable enough. I do not think we have seen any minor league SPs this month which seems a bit unusual. We had Kopech come up and I guess no one else was ready or worthy. 

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It just seems like it would be messy. What about games where he DHs? Or is at 1B/3B and needs to warm up in the pen?

He doesn't pitch those days?  I don't think he'll ever be bullpen regular, but a guy you can throw out there for a an inning in a blowout 10-15 times a year seems doable.  

I think he gets traded to an NL team where he could hit and pitch an inning here or there.

I would also think this opens the door to send him to winter league and try him more in spring. 

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He doesn't pitch those days?  I don't think he'll ever be bullpen regular, but a guy you can throw out there for a an inning in a blowout 10-15 times a year seems doable.  

Yeah that's about it. Pretty much only games when they're down like 5+ more in the 9th next year and they can save an inning for a bullpen regular the next day.

15 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah that's about it. Pretty much only games when they're down like 5+ more in the 9th next year and they can save an inning for a bullpen regular the next day.

Yah, I mean...what's the worst that can happen?  He hurts his arm?  Its not like he's so good as a DH on the wrong side of the platoon that the Sox wouldn't be able to go on without him.

Based on the Cooper's comments on Davidson pitching, and the fact that Davidson admitted having real pain/soreness after one of his outings, I really doubt this ever amounts to anything.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean...what's the worst that can happen?  He hurts his arm?  Its not like he's so good as a DH on the wrong side of the platoon that the Sox wouldn't be able to go on without him.

Based on the Cooper's comments on Davidson pitching, and the fact that Davidson admitted having real pain/soreness after one of his outings, I really doubt this ever amounts to anything.  

Yeah I don't think it will either. He'll just be more of their "go to" in those situations. Maybe make 5 appearances next year at most.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:45 PM, Balta1701 said:

He is currently the second best starting pitcher on the free agent market behind Kershaw and the New York Yankees will have a S***ton of money to spend and he's already talked about pitching for the Yankees. So yeah, he'll be signing a massive deal. With the Yankees.

You think Kershaw opts out of the next 2 years of $65 M and goes for a longer term contract at a similar or slightly less AAV ?

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You think Kershaw opts out of the next 2 years of $65 M and goes for a longer term contract at a similar or slightly less AAV ?

That would be my guess yeah is this is Kershaw's last shot to guarantee $100 million+ more in career earnings.

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I believe so. He probably won't top the AAV but more money overall.

7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Wow.. although it's not too surprising with a bunch of young guys.

Yeah in all sports, cheating is very common I would imagine. It's one of the reasons why Josh Fields wanted to walk away from baseball a year or two into his career if I recall.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah in all sports, cheating is very common I would imagine. It's one of the reasons why Josh Fields wanted to walk away from baseball a year or two into his career if I recall.

You sure it wasn't because he was a lousy player?

8 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

You sure it wasn't because he was a lousy player?

A year or two into his career? Yep, I'm pretty sure. Plus he was outspoken about it at the time.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

A year or two into his career? Yep, I'm pretty sure. Plus he was outspoken about it at the time.

Was it the pressures he did not like, or the fact that his teammates weren't faithful and it bothered him?