Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

2018 White Sox catch-all thread

On 10/2/2018 at 2:42 PM, southsider2k5 said:

and what's that about the backlash to shifts leading to increase in walks?

According to the Awful Announcing web site and their story on final regional baseball network ratings for the 2018 season:

• Things are not great for the White Sox, A’s and Marlins: The White Sox were the only team to average a rating below 1.00 (a 0.68). They did that last year too with a .88, joined by the A’s at .68. The A’s actually showed some improvement this year, but their 1.07 was still second-worst, with the Marlins’ 1.08 (a drop from 1.32) third-worst.

Keep in mind the Sox TV deal with NBCSports Chicago expires after the 2019 season. Can the Sox convince any network that the ratings are awful because of the rebuild and that they'll get measurably better when the team starts to win? We'll see. I'd assume that will be the argument they are going to make. Will a network or networks accept it? Again we'll have to see.

Edited by Lip Man 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox have a majorly bandwagon fan base. The fans will be back when the team wins.

This is a false assumption on both counts.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The numbers 100% don't support you.

I do think the fans will return w success on the field. But sports attendance has changed since the days when the sox could draw 2 Mil. Overall baseball attendance continues to drop at a steady rate. Oakland had a good year but saw attendance drop. Boston had one of the greatest years in their history but saw a decline at the gate. It is not only baseball. College basketball despite all the hype it receives is also on the decline w attendance. Obviously the options for fans to see games is affecting attendance but Ithink the White Sox will have a major hill to climb trying to bring back big fan numbers. Hopefully their rise will coincide with a Cub drop and they can attract the casual fan. I have said for many years that the White Sox do not do a good enough job selling corporate season tickets which can insulate to some extent down years on the field.   

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I do think the fans will return w success on the field. But sports attendance has changed since the days when the sox could draw 2 Mil. Overall baseball attendance continues to drop at a steady rate. Oakland had a good year but saw attendance drop. Boston had one of the greatest years in their history but saw a decline at the gate. It is not only baseball. College basketball despite all the hype it receives is also on the decline w attendance. Obviously the options for fans to see games is affecting attendance but Ithink the White Sox will have a major hill to climb trying to bring back big fan numbers. Hopefully their rise will coincide with a Cub drop and they can attract the casual fan. I have said for many years that the White Sox do not do a good enough job selling corporate season tickets which can insulate to some extent down years on the field.   

Worth noting - The Red Sox raised their ticket prices by 2.5% this year, 2nd straight year they've raised them by that amount. 

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Diamondbacks are confirmed sellers this offseason, any longterm pieces there of any interest?

I've read that they are only listening on some rental players at the beginning of the off-season and then based on the offers, deciding if they will rebuild or try to contend. I mean, I guess a team in that position could middle it? Trade the guys with one year left for prospects and also try to sign free agents?

Edited by soxfan2014

Wouldn't this mean a little more if Giolito actually had an ERA below 6.00?

What's next, Adam Engel speaking about the impact Todd Steverson has had on his offensive game?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What's next, Adam Engel speaking about the impact Todd Steverson has had on his offensive game?

Couldn't have said it any better.  There has to be someone in the farm worth giving that rotation spot to rather than have it filled with some washed up veteran who had the gall to complain about the Sox performance when he was very bad himself at the time we traded for him and needed him most.  The only consoling part about that trade is we didn't give up much to get him... 

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

Couldn't have said it any better.  There has to be someone in the farm worth giving that rotation spot to rather than have it filled with some washed up veteran who had the gall to complain about the Sox performance when he was very bad himself at the time we traded for him and needed him most.  The only consoling part about that trade is we didn't give up much to get him... 

Have the rotation be Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, a bounce-back veteran type with some upside (NOT Shields as he had no trade value this year), and then a battle between Stephens, Guerrero, Fulmer, anyone else worth a look next year for the 5th spot.

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Have the rotation be Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, a bounce-back veteran type with some upside (NOT Shields as he had no trade value this year), and then a battle between Stephens, Guerrero, Fulmer, anyone else worth a look next year for the 5th spot.

If people didn't like Shields the reaction to these three at the major league level would be stellar.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly what I was thinking

It would also be worth pointing out how much Giolitto improved over the course of the season, but it would be pointless in most cases.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It would also be worth pointing out how much Giolitto improved over the course of the season, but it would be pointless in most cases.

I think the last few outings were tired arm personally, but the response to this isn't hard. September, after that "improvement", was his worst month of the season. He put up a 9.27 ERA and a 1.925 WHIP and a 0.926 OPS in September. If that's "how much he improved"....well....someone else finish the rest.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

6.18 ERA first half. Got it down to 6.04 in the second. I am not as optimistic about this as you. He did have his moments. But lots of people could put up the numbers he put up.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If people didn't like Shields the reaction to these three at the major league level would be stellar.

Well at least they are young . 3 pitchers , 5 If we count Spencer Adams and Covey. Less if any of them are drafted in the rule 5 or released. One thing we know for sure Shields isn't young so no upside. If next year is going to be a total disaster might as well start with Covey in the rotation and give then all a shot to show us anything. That's what you want right ?

I think we as fans overlook the advantage of leaving a ptcher down in AAA rather than thinking they should fill the 4/5 rotation slot. We saw Fulmer and how his poor showing in the majors has hurt him. I would rather have Shields back than just rushing a young pitcher only to see them not ready to pitch in the majors. Some players will bounce back but some really struggle to make it back when they fail miserably in their first season.  

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well at least they are young . 3 pitchers , 5 If we count Spencer Adams and Covey. Less if any of them are drafted in the rule 5 or released. One thing we know for sure Shields isn't young so no upside. If next year is going to be a total disaster might as well start with Covey in the rotation and give then all a shot to show us anything. That's what you want right ?

Even if Covey starts off in the rotation, we need someone in the 4th slot who can at least cover some innings. If people have names who fill that option better than Shields, I'm happy to listen, but as usual I hate the concept of this fanciful "bounce back pitcher who must exist but who I will not name". 

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It isn't what I want.  I want innings covered in 2019 as a place holder for the high end arms that will be here soon.  Covey is also needed at this point with the injury to Kopech.  Adams, Guerrro and Stephens aren't factors, or they would have been up in September instead of a guy like Rob Scahill.