Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

2018 White Sox catch-all thread

Talent evaluation requires more than an analysis of statistics.

Giolito had had a high ERA but consider  other factors. He is a tall pitcher who has a great curve ball and can get leverage on his fast ball when he needs to. He is a smart kid who can and will  learn how to pitch better.

I want him in our rotation in 2019 because, given what I have observed, I believe he will develop into a solid starting pitcher.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Can the Sox convince any network that the ratings are awful because of the rebuild and that they'll get measurably better when the team starts to win?

As always, and as it relates to our White Sox, it comes down to just WINNING.  

WIN, and that will take care of all that ails the franchise, meaning those bottom barrel attendance and TV/radio ratings.  But the solution isn’t just about winning one season, and then taking off 24 years between the next time the WINNING happens again (i.e., 1959-1983), or taking off a full decade (1983-1993, or 2008-2018) between playoff appearances.  WIN, dammit, and they will come!

In the meantime, for the first time EVER in this franchise’s history, we should be encouraging the current owner to maximize the subsidized profits he received the year prior on a run of postseason appearances.  And in the process, build up interest in the team that will generate the kind of loyalty in the team that other successful organizations enjoy.  

Edited by Fan O'Faust

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox won’t get where the Cubs are, but right before they started winning, Cubs TV ratings were dismal as well.

Kind of ironic. I spend the winters in Florida and am amazed at how poorly the Rays draw. Yet all the talk last year was of a new stadium. But I did see an artcile recently that the Rays TV ratings were very good. So many senior fans who won't go to the ballpark but won't miss a game on TV. I guess the bulk of the ads are for medications instead of beer. 

The Yankees are going to trade Sonny Gray. He won't cost anything and his arb figure won't be much. I would much prefer rolling the dice with him than bringing Shields back.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Yankees are going to trade Sonny Gray. He won't cost anything and his arb figure won't be much. I would much prefer rolling the dice with him than bringing Shields back.

Agreed.

Edit: totally seems like a typical Pirates add that they receive great results on.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 10/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Dick Allen said:

Totally agree. Depends on what the Yankees are asking for, but he's exactly the type of player the Sox should look to bring in to the rotation.

8 hours ago, Real said:

what a bizarre article, the framing is ridiculous

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sorry-white-sox-fans-dreaming-142520102.html

Haha thanks for sharing this.  I can’t stop reading it!  Your take is spot on.  

“Sorry to burst your bubble White Sox fans.” has me in tears.

What a funny position to take, being the one responsible for letting Sox fans know the player they aren’t even remotely unanimously interested in grew up rooting for a different team and said it would be cool to play there.

It’s almost onion worthy.  I’d love to write articles like his all day.  

“Sorry so and so, those so and sos you don’t care about won’t be coming this year.  Try not to kill yourself if you can help it. “

• Like 1

This would actually be great news.  If the Yankees put a bunch of money into Corbin, the odds go down that they will put a bunch of money into Machado as well.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This would actually be great news.  If the Yankees put a bunch of money into Corbin, the odds go down that they will put a bunch of money into Machado as well.

Their Payroll coming into next year is about $140 million. The Luxury tax line is around $200 million right now. They could conceivably add both without crossing the tax line.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Their Payroll coming into next year is about $140 million. The Luxury tax line is around $200 million right now. They could conceivably add both without crossing the tax line.

Last year, it was $197m. Next year, it jumps up to $206m, which is the biggest jump per season so far. This season was a great year for teams to reset their penalties. 

Edited by soxfan2014

I have a question or two about the Sale trade for Moncada /Kopech...

Did Hahn want Benintendi more than Moncada or more than Kopech as one of the players in that trade?

Did Dave Dombrowski insist that Benintendi  not be offered in that trade?

I know the Red Sox wanted to trade Kopech and that Moncada was not happy playing third there.

Right now, I would trade Mioncada and Kopech for Benintendi.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Did Hahn want Benintendi more than Moncada or more than Kopech as one of the players in that trade?

I know the Red Sox wanted to trade Kopech and that Moncada was not happy playing third there.

None of this is actually known publicly.

11 hours ago, tray said:

Based on the comments Hahn has said publicly about the trade, it was either Moncada/Kopech/Basabe or Benintendi and some of the lesser prospects like Dalbec, and Ockimey, which were well thought of at the time, but not nearly T100 guys. 

the success or failure of the trade would have been solely on the shoulders of Benintendi if they took that one. If he flopped here, there would have been nothing else in the package that had star potential. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Based on the comments Hahn has said publicly about the trade, it was either Moncada/Kopech/Basabe or Benintendi and some of the lesser prospects like Dalbec, and Ockimey, which were well thought of at the time, but not nearly T100 guys. 

the success or failure of the trade would have been solely on the shoulders of Benintendi if they took that one. If he flopped here, there would have been nothing else in the package that had star potential. 

Do you have a source for this?  I haven't seen it.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you have a source for this?  I haven't seen it.

If you want to go through all of the interviews Hahn has done on the radio or podcasts since 12/2016, be my guest. He alluded to this on one of them. It was a read between the lines type thing. It was fairly obvious what he was saying, but he wasn't allowed to discuss details because of GM code

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you want to go through all of the interviews Hahn has done on the radio or podcasts since 12/2016, be my guest. He alluded to this on one of them. It was a read between the lines type thing. It was fairlu obvious what he was saying, but he wasn't allowed to discuss details because of GM code

So no?  I have not seen this reported anywhere yet, so color me skeptical.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So no?  I have not seen this reported anywhere yet, so color me skeptical.

There isn't a concrete report about it. He specifically said in an interview that the Red Sox gave him two packages and said pick one. It is unknown what the other package contained but reading between the lines it must have been either Benintendi or Devers, woth lesser prospects surrounding them. Hahn and Dombrowski, and their FO are the only people on earth who know who else was being discussed. 

I've never seen anything like that. The fairly in-depth Boston Globe piece basically said the sox had Moncada/Kopech agreed on through the weekend but had been haggling on third piece until sox finally relented and went for basabe/diaz.

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've never seen anything like that. The fairly in-depth Boston Globe piece basically said the sox had Moncada/Kopech agreed on through the weekend but had been haggling on third piece until sox finally relented and went for basabe/diaz.

This is what I remember, and can't recall anything like the other story.  My impression was that we were asking for a bigger third piece, when Boston offered us two pieces to make up for the lesser piece.

The Sox will have Nate Jones at league minimum next year, correct? If so, anyone who has an MLBtr accont go back up a poor fan who is debating with a few other posters (including the author of the article) on MLBtr about the exact amount of his option for next year lol

Edit: nevermind, the surgery is TJ specific. His last surgery wasn't TJ.

Edited by soxfan2014