2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

On 5/5/2018 at 2:19 PM, greg775 said:

No Tray, any suggestion of bringing up prospects is met with pure disdain on this site. Nope. Nobody wants to see any of the core rebuild guys for some time to come.

Tray, don’t listen to Greg.  

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, greg775 said:

No Tray, any suggestion of bringing up prospects is met with pure disdain on this site. Nope. Nobody wants to see any of the core rebuild guys for some time to come.

This couldn't be any more untrue

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, greg775 said:

The right owner buying this team would add a lot of excitement/hope to the south side. Jerry gave us one title; wish he'd sell to somebody with lotsa cash willing to spend it feverishly.

A few weeks ago, I asked you to come up with a team that won a World Series recently because their FO spent a ton of money. I'm still waiting for that answer. I'm also still waiting for an answer on "the Sox have went this route since 2008 and it hasn't worked, so why do you want them to continue to do so?"

I'll hang up and listen (for both answers, hopefully)

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Putting Kopech at Wrigley in his first start...seems odd. 

This should really anger some of you. MaKes no sense for a one-day promotion to win a game when we are tryin' to lose every other nite.

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

This couldn't be any more untrue

A few weeks ago, I asked you to come up with a team that won a World Series recently because their FO spent a ton of money. I'm still waiting for that answer. I'm also still waiting for an answer on "the Sox have went this route since 2008 and it hasn't worked, so why do you want them to continue to do so?"

I'll hang up and listen (for both answers, hopefully)

Even Royals spent money. Even Cubs spent money. NY spends money; both teams. As far as not winnin' since 08, I blame our scouts, our front office, our owner. They have acquired stiffs. All you need to do is win your division, people and our division is not special.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

Putting Kopech at Wrigley in his first start...seems odd. 

I agree. At least it is an away game. They are the one team this year where it will be a playoff type atmosphere. I would think they would want to have him start out vs. someone else, but whateves.  if he shuts down the Cubs, his legend will only grow.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I agree. At least it is an away game. They are the one team this year where it will be a playoff type atmosphere. I would think they would want to have him start out vs. someone else, but whateves.  if he shuts down the Cubs, his legend will only grow.

It would be a great story but the realist in me thinks it would be a 5 IP, 3 R, 6 SO kind of start 

Him at Wrigley on Saturday, He'll be throwing like 103 his first inning he'll have so much adrenaline, let's hope he finds the plate.

Cubs work counts so well, not ideal to get an outing past 5ip

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Him at Wrigley on Saturday, He'll be throwing like 103 his first inning he'll have so much adrenaline, let's hope he finds the plate.

Cubs work counts so well, not ideal to get an outing past 5ip

Yeah, I am not a big fan of this being his MLB debut.  I like the idea of a nondescript home game if at all possible.

3 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Just wait the three weeks and get the extra year of control. It'll be so worth it. 

We are already past the extra year of control.  A few more weeks will be the Super 2 deadline to keep him out of the arbitration system until his 3rd year, and not his 2nd.

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Even Royals spent money. Even Cubs spent money. NY spends money; both teams. As far as not winnin' since 08, I blame our scouts, our front office, our owner. They have acquired stiffs. All you need to do is win your division, people and our division is not special.

Ventura was signed as a teenager, Moustakas/Hosmer/Gordon were drafted, and Wade Davis was traded for & Bryant/Schwarber were drafted, Rizzo was traded for, and Contreras was signed as a teenager...but since you know best, tell me who the Royals and Cubs paid that were MAJOR keys to their World Series wins.

How about Boston and New York? Because I'm sure you realize NYY hasn't won a championship since 2009 and the Red Sox last win in 2013 came in large part because of two guys that they DRAFTED (Pedroia, Ellsbury), right?

Edited by soxfan49

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Tell me who the Royals and Cubs paid that were MAJOR keys to their World Series wins.

How about Boston and New York?

Zobrist, Heyward, Lester, Lackey, Chapman. Even with all of their younger cheap talent, their payroll was $171 million.

The average WS champion has the 6th highest payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Ventura was signed as a teenager, Moustakas/Hosmer/Gordon were drafted, and Wade Davis was traded for & Bryant/Schwarber were drafted, Rizzo was traded for, and Contreras was signed as a teenager...but since you know best, tell me who the Royals and Cubs paid that were MAJOR keys to their World Series wins.

How about Boston and New York? Because I'm sure you realize NYY hasn't won a championship since 2009 and the Red Sox last win in 2013 came in large part because of two guys that they DRAFTED (Pedroia, Ellsbury), right?

The Cubs spent something like half a billion dollars in contracts on the free agent market before they got their title.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Zobrist, Heyward, Lester, Lackey, Chapman. Even with all of their younger cheap talent, their payroll was $171 million.

The average WS champion has the 6th highest payroll.

Yeah, so at the END of their rebuild and when they were ready to compete, they signed players to add into guys that were apart of the rebuild. Greg’s assuming that the Sox won’t since RIGHT NOW they aren’t signing free agents. That’s the issue. Furthermore young guys like Bryant, Contreras, Russell and Rizzo were the reason they were great and will compete every year, just as the Kopechs, Moncadas, and Jimenezs of the world will be as they fill in other spots with FA’s

Edited by soxfan49