Should the Sox attempt to extend some of their talent?

wrathofhahn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:05 PM)
Eloy? Moncada? Giolito? Kopech?

With young players scared of the market might be time to start locking some guys on longterm deals. Particularly Eloy.

Interesting but I'd like to see more

Maybe Yoan and Gio by year's end

Any of them who will sign whenever they will sign.

Moncada, I seriously doubt he would sign. Ditto Robert. Dudes already have made what, $30 million in signing bonuses each? So the next $20 million guaranteed isn't a big deal to either of them compared to the 9 figure free agent deal down the line?

I'd pay Eloy right now. I'd probably pay the pitchers in the bigs right now if they were willing.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 01:24 PM)
Interesting but I'd like to see more

Maybe Yoan and Gio by year's end

Moncada has already received set for life money and he debuted with the Sox as the best prospect in baseball. It's impossible to know for sure, but I could envision someone in his situation being unable to sign away free agent years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
Any of them who will sign whenever they will sign.

Moncada, I seriously doubt he would sign. Ditto Robert. Dudes already have made what, $30 million in signing bonuses each? So the next $20 million guaranteed isn't a big deal to either of them compared to the 9 figure free agent deal down the line?

I'd pay Eloy right now. I'd probably pay the pitchers in the bigs right now if they were willing.

This is something i had not considered. That being said, i would still try, but you're right they won't bite.

I think the one they should try extending now is Rodon. His talent is phenomenal and he has ace potential, but he has so much uncertainty to him right now. I know he's a Boras client, but this might be a time you could get him to agree to a team friendly extension in exchange for some certainty to his future.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:37 PM)
I think the one they should try extending now is Rodon. His talent is phenomenal and he has ace potential, but he has so much uncertainty to him right now. I know he's a Boras client, but this might be a time you could get him to agree to a team friendly extension in exchange for some certainty to his future.

Yeah I think this one would be correct. I'm on board with trading or extending rodon this year, to be honest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:02 PM)
Nobody mentioned Avi Garcia...the most relevant for present discussion.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to Leury or Yolmer if you could get a bargain deal done. But neither of those guys, nor Davidson, would be on the list of front office priorities.

Caulfield? Is that you?

I know this came up on the temp board, but I will share my answer.

There is zero doubt in my mind they have gone to these kids with proposals in the hope of getting things worked out. The Sox have always been in front of these kind of deals They just signed one last year with Tim Anderson. It does take two to tango though. I will also say that a guy has zero lack of confidence like a Yoan Moncada won't be the type of guy to sign a deal like this. Same with Kopech.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 06:01 PM)
We have our young guys locked in for 5 or 6 years at non crazy salaries, even with ARB. That will be it for our window as we'll have to replace a few with young guys we draft etc. The good news is we'll have Abreu, Garcia, Shields, and Anderson's contracts off the books.

In case you missed it, Anderson signed a long-term deal for around $25 million...so you're stuck with him.

Under terms of the deal announced on Tuesday, the 23-year-old Anderson will receive $850,000 this season, $1 million in 2018, $1.4 million in 2019, $4 million in 2020, $7.25 million in 2021 and $9.5 million in 2022.

The White Sox hold club options for 2023 at $12.5 million and 2024 at $14 million. If either option is declined, Anderson receives a $1 million buyout. dailyherald.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 08:14 PM)
In case you missed it, Anderson signed a long-term deal for around $25 million...so you're stuck with him.

Under terms of the deal announced on Tuesday, the 23-year-old Anderson will receive $850,000 this season, $1 million in 2018, $1.4 million in 2019, $4 million in 2020, $7.25 million in 2021 and $9.5 million in 2022.

The White Sox hold club options for 2023 at $12.5 million and 2024 at $14 million. If either option is declined, Anderson receives a $1 million buyout. dailyherald.com

Our window as I said is 5 years, which would end in 2023. We hold club options for Tim that very year and he could be off our books if he hasn't earned the contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:02 PM)
Nobody mentioned Avi Garcia...the most relevant for present discussion.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to Leury or Yolmer if you could get a bargain deal done. But neither of those guys, nor Davidson, would be on the list of front office priorities.

Of Avi continues his tear, the Sox should trade him before the deadline.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 07:01 PM)
We have our young guys locked in for 5 or 6 years at non crazy salaries, even with ARB. That will be it for our window as we'll have to replace a few with young guys we draft etc. The good news is we'll have Abreu, Garcia, Shields, and Anderson's contracts off the books.

I would say that only Shields belongs on that "good news" list.

And yes Avi should be moved if a premium offer is made; Sox have some depth at his position.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 08:35 AM)
I would say that only Shields belongs on that "good news" list.

And yes Avi should be moved if a premium offer is made; Sox have some depth at his position.

Another way of thinking about this is that Avi might sign a long-term extension at a 15-25% discount due to defensive limitations and keeping his size in check will always be issues that slide him more in the direction players that get most of their value from offense (unless he can continue to rack up outfield assists with his arm.). Plus, he feels undoubtedly feels more comfortable/relaxed around so many Hispanic players and coaches.

Other than Jimenez, who do we feel “pretty confident” about at a corner oufield spot as a long-term solution? Delmonico? Cordell? Luis Robert, if Engel is actually for real this year in CF? Leury?

Rutherford really looked lost (still) this spring hitting 95+ fastballs and has a bit of a bat wrap issue to deal with...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Other than Jimenez, who do we feel “pretty confident” about at a corner oufield spot as a long-term solution? Delmonico? Cordell? Luis Robert, if Engel is actually for real this year in CF? Leury?

Robert. Period.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:46 AM)
Our window as I said is 5 years, which would end in 2023. We hold club options for Tim that very year and he could be off our books if he hasn't earned the contract.

The window hasn't even opened up yet bud

Robert, Jiminez, Kopech, etc. will be entering their prime in 5 years

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:12 AM)
Of Avi continues his tear, the Sox should trade him before the deadline.

Maybe

But if he continues to be a star player, why trade him?

I know we have Jimenez and Robert as OF locks of the future with Engel/Leury both flashing starter potential and Cordell coming up soon as well

But a long term OF of Avi, Robert, and Jimenez is insane

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Other than Jimenez, who do we feel “pretty confident”about at a corner oufield spot as a long-term solution? Delmonico? Cordell? Luis Robert, if Engel is actually for real this year in CF? Leury?

I actually am not confident about Jimenez as a long-term OF. I think he'll stick in RF/LF for a few years, but eventually, the defense won't cut it and he'll be a 1B/DH (and a damn good one)

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
Maybe

But if he continues to be a star player, why trade him?

I know we have Jimenez and Robert as OF locks of the future with Engel/Leury both flashing starter potential and Cordell coming up soon as well

But a long term OF of Avi, Robert, and Jimenez is insane

Because you have options in the OF, he will be a FA just as the Sox window is opening, he is a poor defender, and he could pull back multiple pieces that could be contributors to the Sox next playoff team. The Sox are not going to be able to extend everyone so they are going to have to pick and choose, and Avi probably needs to go for the Sox to realize some sort of return on investment for him and keep payroll open to add in a spot where the Sox may need FA help in their contention window.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 03:46 PM)
Because you have options in the OF, he will be a FA just as the Sox window is opening, he is a poor defender, and he could pull back multiple pieces that could be contributors to the Sox next playoff team. The Sox are not going to be able to extend everyone so they are going to have to pick and choose, and Avi probably needs to go for the Sox to realize some sort of return on investment for him and keep payroll open to add in a spot where the Sox may need FA help in their contention window.

Avi was an above average defender during 2017 by most metrics.