Should the Sox attempt to extend some of their talent?

wrathofhahn

The Sun Times had a list of MLB team payrolls for 2018 in todays paper. The White Sox were listed as being 28th with a team payroll of $73 million dollars. Obviously they can spend some money if they want to. We shall see if they actually do that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:04 PM)
The Sun Times had a list of MLB team payrolls for 2018 in todays paper. The White Sox were listed as being 28th with a team payroll of $73 million dollars. Obviously they can spend some money if they want to. We shall see if they actually do that.

No need. Build the team internally and plug the holes with FA money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 02:19 PM)
Avi was an above average defender during 2017 by most metrics.

It is why I have become much more pro Avi. In the past, Avi was so freaking bad defensively, he'd have to mash to be somewhat serviceable. Now he's become respectable in the field, which means if he hits well, you really get a quality player. One thing about Avi is, he has a phenomenal work ethic. I'm a believer in Avi at this point (amazing since I was one of his biggest detractors a few years back).

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 04:04 PM)

How is the teams payroll even that high? Shields obviously is a huge part of that.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:26 PM)
yolmer has 3 good games and all the sudden according to Hawk he is the next ian kinsler...

and people falling for it.

Hey maybe he has got it figured out.. but.. yeah its like waay to early for all of this.

I mean he did have a -0.1 War last year...

3.5 bWAR last year

-0.1 in 2016

yolmer has 3 good games and all the sudden according to Hawk he is the next ian kinsler...

Hey maybe he has got it figured out.. but.. yeah its like waay to early for all of this.

This is Trumpian math.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:37 PM)
I think the one they should try extending now is Rodon. His talent is phenomenal and he has ace potential, but he has so much uncertainty to him right now. I know he's a Boras client, but this might be a time you could get him to agree to a team friendly extension in exchange for some certainty to his future.

AMEN! I have watched baseball since the 1970s and let me tell you Carlos Rodon is the first man I've ever seen throw a slider that makes me think of Steve Carlton. You keep people like that if at all possible.

For players like Sanchez/Garcia, at the moment I'm not that worried about an adventure on the market for them.

I think when they are FAs we will have a better idea what demand for their positions we have (is Sanchez a starter or a super sub? Is Garcia an all star or just a fine RFer?) and knowledge about where we need to spend our money.

I think we could easily end up in a situation with Garcia that players like Moustakas saw, they get lighter market than expecting, and decide to take more certainty with the previous team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:45 AM)
For players like Sanchez/Garcia, at the moment I'm not that worried about an adventure on the market for them.

I think when they are FAs we will have a better idea what demand for their positions we have (is Sanchez a starter or a super sub? Is Garcia an all star or just a fine RFer?) and knowledge about where we need to spend our money.

I think we could easily end up in a situation with Garcia that players like Moustakas saw, they get lighter market than expecting, and decide to take more certainty with the previous team.

I agree but with Avi it’ll be a way different story than Moose if he’s competing for batting titles.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)
I agree but with Avi it?€™ll be a way different story than Moose if he?€™s competing for batting titles.

Similar ages (in two years). One is LH. Moustakas with more hype due to his original draft position and World Series performances.

Both known more for offense than defense, and carry concerns about weight/body issues going into their 30?€™s.

A lot depends on Garcia maintaining a stellar OBP and overcoming the ?€œgood luck/unrepeatable?€? BABIP tag. Garcia needs to bump homers into 25-35 range.

Edited by caulfield12

Falling for what? He gets better every year at the plate, and his defense is top notch.