Matt Davidson

wrathofhahn

He was more selective at the plate in the minor leagues than he was in the major leagues last year. I would certainly want to develop him to bring that back out. If a guy can't take a walk, then even if he has good power, he's not going to do much damage because people won't throw him balls over the plate.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
2017 was Davidson's first major league season. This idea that young players must produce immediately and will take only minor steps back once hitting the majors, or else they aren't any good is loopy. Sure a few prosper immediately, but most don't.

He's also 27. If he puts up another low .700s OPS this year, how many years are you going to wait for him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:37 AM)
He's also 27. If he puts up another low .700s OPS this year, how many years are you going to wait for him?

At that point, you're done waiting obviously, but again, if this year isn't going to be a contending one, why not give him one last chance? It can't hurt. If he sucks, so what? But maybe they find something and he can contribute for a few years if not for a long time.

I'm proud of SoxTalk! I was expecting to see something like "do you think we can lock him up for 4 years at $40mm?" and drinking the Kool-Aid. I picked him as my surprise for the year, so I definitely am not harping on him. Hey look, if Joey Gallo can be considered an asset and if people like Chris Davis can take home nice paychecks, why can't Davidson?

The problem is that he needs to walk more. Can he? Does something click? Cause if it does, he certainly can have a role on a playoff team. He has serious 40HR type power which doesn't just grow on trees.

He's got an opportunity that he wouldn't be afforded on most MLB teams, so he needs to take advantage of it this year. It'll be fun to watch on games like yesterday, but frustrating when he goes 0-4 with 3k's and leaves bases loaded .... which we all know is coming.

My hope is he can turn into a VERY nice bench piece on a World Series competing team. My ceiling is a 100 game, LF, 3B, DH, 1B.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:45 AM)
At that point, you're done waiting obviously, but again, if this year isn't going to be a contending one, why not give him one last chance? It can't hurt. If he sucks, so what? But maybe they find something and he can contribute for a few years if not for a long time.

This season absolutely. You're talking to the person on this page who was probably the loudest and most obnoxious advocate of "play the kids!" this offseason every time someone suggested that Moustakas or Morrison or someone like that hit a lot of home runs last year and should be signed. Davidson was one of those kids we needed to play. We need to find a couple regulars outside of the huge talents we brought in last year. Here's Davidson's chance to be one of those. He needs to walk more and put the ball in play more this year. Good start. Let me see an .850 OPS and I'll happily give him the DH slot going into next year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
2017 was Davidson's first major league season. This idea that young players must produce immediately and will take only minor steps back once hitting the majors, or else they aren't any good is loopy. Sure a few prosper immediately, but most don't.

I don’t think that was ever anyone’s problem with him. I think the fact he was never very good at Charlotte made it hard to believe he’d ever get much better. One game isn’t going to change my skepticism with him (although he did look good) but hopefully somehow everything just clicked and he proves me wrong. I’ll be rooting for him.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 10:06 PM)
I picked him up in over 31 fantasy baseball leagues due to his 3-HR performance and being a member of the White Sox. For my sake, I hope he pans out to be a 40-HR contributor. I'm all in.

How... many... leagues... are you in?

Also, I've heard it is exceptionally shrewd fantasy baseball management to get excited over a single game's performance from an otherwise mediocre player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 08:59 AM)
This season absolutely. You're talking to the person on this page who was probably the loudest and most obnoxious advocate of "play the kids!" this offseason every time someone suggested that Moustakas or Morrison or someone like that hit a lot of home runs last year and should be signed. Davidson was one of those kids we needed to play. We need to find a couple regulars outside of the huge talents we brought in last year. Here's Davidson's chance to be one of those. He needs to walk more and put the ball in play more this year. Good start. Let me see an .850 OPS and I'll happily give him the DH slot going into next year.

Except Moustakas would have taken most of his playing time from Yolmer, not Davidson...nevertheless, in the end, a one year deal would have been pointless, even at the discounted rate he signed at.

The argument was always that discounted rate for 3-4 years. At any rate, we can compare their numbers, along with Delmonico’s, at the end of the season.

Edited by caulfield12

If he can do that he's your everyday 3B and you go out and find a DH.

Funny you mention Moustakas...aren't they eerily similar in terms of career ladder? I recall Moustakas really not being all that great until his breakout season last year...and he's what?...29-30 now? Like green mentioned...this is his first full season not looking over his shoulder. He's put in a ton of work this off season and has even talked about his approach and seeing/taking more pitches. He (as well as others) just look much more comfortable out there. Maybe Steverson deserves more credit than he's getting. Between Avi, Engel and Davidson...we're seeing different players at the plate. But yeah...proof is in the results. I think Davidson's here to stay...

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:11 PM)
If he can do that he's your everyday 3B and you go out and find a DH.

he's not a 3B. He was -13 runs in part time duty of their last year. With the young pitching coming through this is the last thing the Sox need at 3B. Let him focus on hitting and potentially taking over for Abreu at 1B in a couple years. For now he's the DH.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
Funny you mention Moustakas...aren't they eerily similar in terms of career ladder? I recall Moustakas really not being all that great until his breakout season last year...and he's what?...29-30 now? Like green mentioned...this is his first full season not looking over his shoulder. He's put in a ton of work this off season and has even talked about his approach and seeing/taking more pitches. He (as well as others) just look much more comfortable out there. Maybe Steverson deserves more credit than he's getting. Between Avi, Engel and Davidson...we're seeing different players at the plate. But yeah...proof is in the results. I think Davidson's here to stay...

First, Moustakas broke out in HR's last year but has had better seasons probably 2 others. Second, Davidson gives credit to the same guy that helped Konerko assistant hitting coach Mike Gellinger . http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170805...hanged-my-swing

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:44 PM)
First, Moustakas broke out in HR's last year but has had better seasons probably 2 others. Second, Davidson gives credit to the same guy that helped Konerko assistant hitting coach Mike Gellinger . http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170805...hanged-my-swing

One big difference is that Moustakas, when he came up pre-injury, was a plus defender at 3b. When a guy is a strong defender, that can buy the guy a longer time to overcome struggles with the bats. Davidson needs to be a strong all-around producer with the bats this season, because a low .700s OPS poor defensive 3b, or a low .700s OPS DH or a low .700s OPS bat off the bench that isn't very versatile, none of those would be worth a roster spot in 2019 when this team should be taking its leap forwards.

Pretty good article on Fangraphs from Carson, who I usually don't like.

His swing appears much tighter this year (as evidenced by the exit velocity on his three HRs, each of which surpassed his highest from last year) which should allow him to get to more balls up in the zone but the real improvement is going to have to come through better strike zone control. If Davidson can take his walks he'll be a useful DH.

He's got this year to prove it. Let's hope he can keep it going. I'd be thrilled with 260/310/510. That would make him about a 2 WAR DH, which is an asset.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

It's easy forget this kid was a stud prospect just a few years ago. Scouts saw the talent back in those days and he inexplicably regressed as a hitter. Age 27 is a magical age in MLB...I wouldn't be surprised at all if he puts up a pretty damn decent stat line this season and starts to find the skill and confidence that had him thought of so highly back in the day. You can't underestimate how beneficial the MLB opportunity the Sox have given him is to his psyche.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:29 PM)
I hope that wasn't the only 3-hit game we'll get out of Davidson for the next few months.

I don't know if there was a hidden negativity in this post or if you are a big fan just hopeful he'll have more three-hit games. I for one am amazed that there's not a thread praising the bleep out of Davidson. The man just hit 3 home runs on opening day for gawd sakes. This is a monumental feat. Sox fans should be rejoicing about this feat and Anderson's two home runs and Abreu's dinger (he's a slow starter sometimes) instead I'm reading more about how Moncada SHOULDA COULDA had four hits if he had any luck at all.

I guess my love of Davidson, Abreu and Avi is gonna continue to get me in trouble with posters. I could watch replays forever of those home runs. My gosh they were all blasted.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)
he's not a 3B. He was -13 runs in part time duty of their last year. With the young pitching coming through this is the last thing the Sox need at 3B. Let him focus on hitting and potentially taking over for Abreu at 1B in a couple years. For now he's the DH.

He had a -4 DRS/-12.2 UZR/150 last season he wasn't great but he wasn't awful either. He's always a good arm for the position and had zero TE last season.

Point is if he hits he's someone you can put there and give you much more value then Yolmer traditionally weak bat.

Of course that's all predicated on him being able to hit but even this year if you had Delmonico at DH. Davidson at 3B. That allows you a spot to play Garcia. Guess it all depends on who you want to play.