Fantasy Baseball discussions

I'm in my 4th year in my dynasty auction league. First three years I've come in 3rd, 1st, and 3rd. My roster looks like this this year:

C Wellington Castillo

1B Freddie Freeman

2B Dee Gordon

3B Kris Bryant

SS Xander Boegarts

OF Bryce Harper

OF Giancarlo Stanton

OF Andrew McCutchen

UTIL Adam Eaton

OF Max Kepler

SS Zack Cozart

C Yadier Molina

SS Tim Anderson

2B Scott Kingery

3B Nick Senzel

SP Carlos Martinez

SP Dallas Kuechel

SP Gerit Cole

SP Julio Teheran

SP Taijuan Walker

RP Wade Davis

RP Felipe Rivero

SP Sean Manaea

RP Brad Brach

Thoughts?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)
I'm in my 4th year in my dynasty auction league. First three years I've come in 3rd, 1st, and 3rd. My roster looks like this this year:

C Wellington Castillo

1B Freddie Freeman

2B Dee Gordon

3B Kris Bryant

SS Xander Boegarts

OF Bryce Harper

OF Giancarlo Stanton

OF Andrew McCutchen

UTIL Adam Eaton

OF Max Kepler

SS Zack Cozart

C Yadier Molina

SS Tim Anderson

2B Scott Kingery

3B Nick Senzel

SP Carlos Martinez

SP Dallas Kuechel

SP Gerit Cole

SP Julio Teheran

SP Taijuan Walker

RP Wade Davis

RP Felipe Rivero

SP Sean Manaea

RP Brad Brach

Thoughts?

Looks like a beast of a team, but hard to evaluate it properly without knowing how many teams and what type of scoring.

Edited by iWin4Ron

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:25 PM)
We added holds as a category and I hate it. Had no clue how to draft so took set up guys with last 3 picks.

You did the right thing by taking set ups with the last 3 picks. I also don't like holds as a category because it slightly devalues closers and it takes away the 'hunt' of finding closers in leagues.

Holds happen less frequently than saves, so closers are still more valuable, but yeah it sucks having to roster MRP when it feels like more of a crapshot.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 07:01 PM)
Looks like a beast of a team, but hard to evaluate it properly without knowing how many teams and what type of scoring.

10 teams.

Head to head category.

Rs, HRs, AVG, RBIs, SBs, OPS and Ws, Ks, SVs, WHIP, ERA, and QS

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 07:35 PM)
10 teams.

Head to head category.

Rs, HRs, AVG, RBIs, SBs, OPS and Ws, Ks, SVs, WHIP, ERA, and QS

Ah 10 teams. Your Pitching staff is mediocre at best, but that's my kind of style so I'm down with it! The hitting is stone cold killer. Has to be in the top 3 (probably #1) hitting squad out there, that's the way I like to go!

To me tho, there's got to be better players on the waiver over keeping a second catcher or Senzel / kepler / Manaea and even Cozart. These guys are fringe guys in 12 team leagues. Who's the best on the waiver? Any closers? Jose Martinez (1b STL) available?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)

C Wellington Castillo

1B Freddie Freeman

2B Dee Gordon

3B Kris Bryant

SS Xander Boegarts

OF Bryce Harper

OF Giancarlo Stanton

OF Andrew McCutchen

UTIL Adam Eaton

OF Max Kepler

SS Zack Cozart

C Yadier Molina

SS Tim Anderson

2B Scott Kingery

3B Nick Senzel

SP Carlos Martinez

SP Dallas Kuechel

SP Gerit Cole

SP Julio Teheran

SP Taijuan Walker

RP Wade Davis

RP Felipe Rivero

SP Sean Manaea

RP Brad Brach

Thoughts?

Damn, that offense is nasty. Did you have keepers? Otherwise I have no idea how you got Harper, Stanton, and Bryant. Those are all top 10-12 guys.

Your pitching staff is hit or miss, especially your bullpen, but your offense should keep you in it. But since you said you are H2H category, that means you are going to probably win most hitting categories, but lose a lot of pitching ones. So even if you demolish guys on offense, you don't win any more than 1 category at a time. So, had you been in a points league, this strategy would have been better, IMO.

Here is my squad....

ACUNA MACHADO

C Gary Sanchez, NYY

1B Joey Votto, Cin 1B

2B Jonathan Schoop, Bal

3B Manny Machado, Bal

SS Zack Cozart, LAA

OF Aaron Judge, NYY

OF Christian Yelich, Mil

OF Marwin Gonzalez, Hou

OF Corey Dickerson, Pit

UTIL Justin Smoak, Tor

UTIL Daniel Vogelbach, Sea

Bench Ronald Acuna, Atl

DL Justin Turner*, LAD

DL Steven Souza Jr.*, Ari

SP Dallas Keuchel, Hou

SP James Paxton, Sea

SP Marcus Stroman, Tor

SP Jon Gray, Col

SP Blake Snell, TB

RP Corey Knebel, Mil

RP Edwin Diaz, Sea

RP Nate Jones, CWS

Bench Michael Fulmer, Det

Bench Charlie Morton, Hou

Bench Lucas Giolito, CWS

Bench Jack Flaherty, StL

DL Danny Salazar*, Cle

H2H points, 10 teams, 2 keepers (Judge and Machado)

I love my offense, especially once Turner comes back in a month, and I can slide Machado over to SS. And then Acuna will be up by then, and Souza back healthy. But pitching is obviously my weakness, but Corey Knebel was actually the #1 fantasy reliever in our league last year, Diaz is filthy and could be a top 5 RP, and then I went with some breakout candidates like Giolito, Snell, Gray, and Morton.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 07:45 PM)
Ah 10 teams. Your Pitching staff is mediocre at best, but that's my kind of style so I'm down with it! The hitting is stone cold killer. Has to be in the top 3 (probably #1) hitting squad out there, that's the way I like to go!

To me tho, there's got to be better players on the waiver over keeping a second catcher or Senzel / kepler / Manaea and even Cozart. These guys are fringe guys in 12 team leagues. Who's the best on the waiver? Any closers? Jose Martinez (1b STL) available?

I know my pitching is spotty, but Martinez and Kuechel usually do a good/great job. In my league, we have no waivers. When you draft a team, that is who you have all year until we have our midyear FA draft. Consisting of three rounds and three picks, but you can also trade these picks. Draft order is based off worst record from last year. So, currently from trading, I have 7 of these picks

This is a very complex league and we have a 6 page rulebook. We're diehards who love fantasy and baseball lol.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 12:18 AM)
Damn, that offense is nasty. Did you have keepers? Otherwise I have no idea how you got Harper, Stanton, and Bryant. Those are all top 10-12 guys.

Your pitching staff is hit or miss, especially your bullpen, but your offense should keep you in it. But since you said you are H2H category, that means you are going to probably win most hitting categories, but lose a lot of pitching ones. So even if you demolish guys on offense, you don't win any more than 1 category at a time. So, had you been in a points league, this strategy would have been better, IMO.

Yeah I get that, but pitching is so hit or miss. My guys have just struggled out of the gate. I had a worse pitching staff when I won it all and I've finished in the money the last 3 years with essentially the same pitching staff.

Ah, well then that changes the story too -- with no in-season moves it puts great importance on the draft. Overall, I think that's a nice league. In that case, your team is built for great success as having 2 Catchers is probably smart in that style of league for safety. With those settings, your team is pretty awesome and fun to own i'm sure.

• 2 months later...

I'm obliterating my 12-team roto league, but my pitching staff got decimated tonight, as I have Darvish on the DL, and just lost Strasburg, Tanaka and Buehler. Best available pitchers are Matz, Eovaldi and Covey. One guy in my league has a major Sox boner so if I don't pick up Covey soon, I will lose that opportunity. Should I take the chance that Covey has turned it around or no? Moves cost $1. I have to pick up a pitcher because I don't have 5 healthy starters at this point. 

EDIT. Picked up Covey. I thought he was the best option ATM. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I'm currently sitting at 58-45-5 (3rd place) as I've had a rough last couple of weeks.  We just had our mid season FA draft and after a few trades, this is how my teams looks now.

C Yadi Molina/Brian McCann
1B Freddie Freeman/Greg Bird
2B Dee Gordon/Scott Kingery
SS Xander Boegarts/Andrelton Simmons
3B Kris Bryant/Marwin Gonzalez/Mike Moustakas
OF Bryce Harper/Giancarlo Stanton/JD Martinez/Mitch Haniger

SP: Gerrit Cole/Carlos Martinez/Jose Berrios/Dallas Kuechel/Julio Teheran/Marcus Stroman/Luke Weaver/Kyle Freeland/Mike Foltynewicz
RP: Wade Davis/Blake Treinen/Felipe Vazquez

I started 0-2, but then won 5 straight to move to 5-2, but now sit at 6-4. I by far have the most points scored in my league, but per usual, I end up playing the top team so often.

I have no doubts I'll make the playoffs, but my pitching staff is starting to fall apart a bit. I had to drop Manaea, Odorizzi, Gray, and even though I probably won't drop him, Kuechel has been dogshit for a while now.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in 53 H2H Yahoo fantasy baseball leagues. I am in first or second place in 45 of them. The other 8 I am in place 3,4, or 5.  2 Weeks left of the H2H season before fantasy playoffs. 

I am in 3 roto leagues placed (1, 1, and 4).

Amazing year for fantasy baseball, but I will never do this many leagues again and next year I plan on getting deeper leagues and more sabermetrically inclined leagues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool story bro...

53 Yahoo H2H Leagues. 2 Of them are Custom leagues, 51 are public.

I finished the regular season in First or Second place in 49 out of 53 of them.

Remarkable.

In early August I was in first or second in only 32 of them. So from mid-august to now (Sept 9th) I went from 32 first/second to 49 out of the 53.

Entering today (Sunday) there were 6 teams on the clinch of either 1/2 place or 3/4th place. Entering tonight's BOS vs. HOU sunday night game I was actually in third place in 3 separate leagues. Somehow, all 3 leagues managed to play out in MY favour and I ended up over taking second in them. I think one guy had Hector Rondon (who blew it) and that cost him second place.

Of course 1/2 place is the important spot because that guarantees you a bye week. Bye weeks are incredibly important in H2H as it takes away a little bit of the luck factor of H2H baseball and allows you to properly utilize all 6 of your roster moves for the week to prepare for next week. 

PS: Can we move this topic somewhere where it gets seen lol