Of the players that could be dealt at the deadline who do you want to

wrathofhahn

Anyone in currently in the bullpen. I'm really not interested in trading Abreu or Avi at this point. If someone intends to give up a ridiculous return...of course you have to listen. But it seems teams are FAR less likely to be giving up packages like we saw for Quintana or Eaton...teams just don't want to cough up their prospects for a variety of reasons..especially financially. I'm of the thinking these monster packages might be very few and far between. So...not really interested in giving up either one of Abreu or Avi unless it's for said monster return.

And Abreu/Avi won't generate those huge returns because 1) age/fair value for fWAR, and 2) Avi's career track record (see same concerns over Logan Morrison, Yonder Alonso, etc.)

If Avi really puts up another season (or half season) like 2017, then trading him would be crazy because he has a lot more value to the Sox than another team IMO (because we were so patient with him, and he's so comfortable now with the coaching staff/teammates).

He's not going to get a return anything similar to the Yelich deal (obviously, All-Star player under longer control), and that wasn't exactly overwhelming, unless Brinson becomes an All-Star himself.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2P...XKZeTbE/pubhtml

This includes projected CB Tax Payroll/Collective Bargaining and has us only $1 million behind Oakland (29th). Indians at $144 million and the Twins right around the same number (right around the mode for MLB teams). $57 million gap between White Sox and those two. Royals at $135.6 million. Detroit at $138 million.

We're current 29th in payroll (I saw someone posted that one of the Chicago papers had us at 26th or 27th)...this information of $72 million SEEMS to be more accurate (or Cot's).

That's barely $7 million over the 2005 World Series team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 04:53 AM)
I really don't want to move Avi. Dude is 26 and is legitimately one of the best hitters in professional baseball. You don't want EVERY player to be rookies...having a leader like Avi when that window really opens will be worth more than some prospects. You figure the Sox will be LEGIT in 2 years, Avi is 28, in the prime of his career. Unless someone gives us a ridiculous overpay he should stay in Chicago and we build around HIM and the kids.

Amen. Glad to see a lot of people coming to their senses on here. Avi and Abreu must be a part of this team when it hits contention mode.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 03:36 PM)
Couldn't agree more

Not sure why so many people are so eager to ship these guys

Cause Robert and Eloy are coming before long. And maybe Rutherford. People want the unknown. They are turned off by known commodities.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 10:56 PM)
Amen. Glad to see a lot of people coming to their senses on here. Avi and Abreu must be a part of this team when it hits contention mode.

Cause Robert and Eloy are coming before long. And maybe Rutherford. People want the unknown. They are turned off by known commodities.

It's more people would rather the resources directed elsewhere. It isn't just Robert. Eloy and Rutherford either. Cordell and Tilson are down there. Basabe and Adolfo are good prospects. Why not use Avi to get prospects which could fill holes elsewhere? We don't have enough playing time.

It also depends a ton Avi. If he develops into an elite hitter that changes the calcus but if he's just good well odds are at least one of the guys I mentioned will develop into a good hitter too. Unlike Avi they'll be cheap and under control.

As far as 1B and Abreu goes he's the leader but before they keep him we should have at least an idea of what his market demands are and whether he'd be willing to do an extension because 1B/DH types aren't getting the money they used to nor do they have a ton of value in trades. If he's reasonable bring him back but if he wants a huge extension it's time to move on.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 07:46 AM)
The Sox two best hitting prospects are likely corner OF (Robert could play CF as of now I guess). Moving Avi might make some sense as the Sox should have depth there.

Don't see much in the 1B pipeline though (I would think that Davidson might learn the position). No objection to extending Abreu, unless they see signs of decline.

Don't see any reason to sign veterans for the sake of veteran leadership; get them to plug holes or shore up the pitching, based on talent need. As of now, 40% of the 25 man consists of veterans anyway.

Keep Avi and Jose, let Robert and Eloy progress and become 2/3 of the Sox future OF. When the kids are ready, you move Avi to 1B and Jose to DH.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 07:53 PM)
I’d like to propose a trade with the Cubs...

Willson Contreras trades an L in his name to Welington Castillo, so he’d actually be Wellington.

No deal. I'm not a fan of any transaction between the Sox and Cubs which ends with the Sox taking an L.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:24 AM)
No deal. I'm not a fan of any transaction between the Sox and Cubs which ends with the Sox taking an L.

All jokes aside, I would have to change my underpants if the Cubs traded Contreras for Castillo. That would never happen obviously. :(

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:25 AM)
All jokes aside, I would have to change my underpants if the Cubs traded Contreras for Castillo. That would never happen obviously. :(

Contreras is honestly the best player on their roster, in my opinion. Maybe "most valuable" would be better, but his defense may put him over Bryant to me

For a year and a half or so, I really wanted to gut the roster because we had so many guys that I knew we'd get a good return on.

But what we have left to me is probably looking at Swarzak-level type returns. Which is to say I don't particularly get excited or care about that much.

If I knew that Avi or Abreu would get back a great return, I'd be open to it, but it's hard to have any feel for their market. Well, by their existence on the team you could say it's a sign that their market isn't that good.

Happy to trade out some of the older, marginal pieces for depth and lottery tickets. Soria, Jones, etc.

There's no urgency anymore and quite a bit less fun considering the returns we're looking at.

These are tough questions because we're starting to get into territory where we may need some of our productive players for the next competitive Sox team.

It goes without saying though, that anyone in the bullpen is open for trade. Soria and Jones can go ahead and have great years so that we can extract value from them in trade. Miguel Gonzalez, should he be worth anything at all, should definitely be traded.

With the position players it starts getting really tricky. With Jimenez waiting in the wings, Avi may be one of the easier players to let go. Truth be told, if he continues to succeed, I will have a hard time letting Avi go and I really hope if he is traded, we get 1 or 2 really nice prospects back for him. Even though he came from Detroit, he has one of those "homegrown" kind of feelings about him for me. Without trying to get too ahead of myself here, we've gone through all the trials and tribulations with Avi and seemingly came out on the other end with a pretty darn good baseball player. Even when Eloy comes up, I'm not telling teams that I'm taking best offers available for Avi. If no one is offering anything worthwhile, he's simply not going to get traded and we will move forward with him and figure out some OF platoon system or something. We can get both him and Eloy at bats.

Davidson is kind of in a similar position, for me, but he's one year behind Avi in terms in proving himself. If Matty D has a really nice year, it will mean he cut down on his strikeouts and hit 35 bombs. You can't trade a guy like that. He's a guy who could accelerate the rebuild. Having a guy like him who is not expected to be a part of the rebuild become a part of the rebuild is huge if the Sox want to be the best.

To trade Abreu would quite literally require a Kings Ransom. His combo of elite power and average hitting skills, along with his leadership skills make him the most important player on the Sox. Trading him would be a tough pill to swallow, and would hopefully come after he's been able to impart leadership skills on some other players.

I don't think there's any situation where Welington would get traded. He was brought in for a reason, and trading him may be more detrimental to the young staff than helpful in terms of prospects received. I could actually see the Sox exploring an extension with him if Collins or Seby aren't blowing doors down next year. He's developed into a pretty darn good backstop over the years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:43 AM)
For a year and a half or so, I really wanted to gut the roster because we had so many guys that I knew we'd get a good return on.

But what we have left to me is probably looking at Swarzak-level type returns. Which is to say I don't particularly get excited or care about that much.

If I knew that Avi or Abreu would get back a great return, I'd be open to it, but it's hard to have any feel for their market. Well, by their existence on the team you could say it's a sign that their market isn't that good.

Happy to trade out some of the older, marginal pieces for depth and lottery tickets. Soria, Jones, etc.

There's no urgency anymore and quite a bit less fun considering the returns we're looking at.

Abreu and Garcia are the last chances the Sox have at an elite trade return, and that would be with a good first half. Other than that, we're likely looking at either Ryan Cordell and Casey Gillaspie types, or rookie ball lotto tickets who will be part of wave two if luck is on the team's side.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:57 AM)
There is Rodon, who can come back and have a great 4 months. His injury history likely hurts his trade value, but if Hahn knows we're gonna get Boras'd anyway, we might as well get something for him

I don't think there's a team out there that would give him a big payday right now, even if he comes back and shows #1 ability for the final 4 months. I'd offer him a team friendly extension and see if he bites on some financial security in exchange for some free agency years given what he's gone through in the last year plus.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:55 AM)
Abreu and Garcia are the last chances the Sox have at an elite trade return, and that would be with a good first half. Other than that, we're likely looking at either Ryan Cordell and Casey Gillaspie types, or rookie ball lotto tickets who will be part of wave two if luck is on the team's side.

Elite will mean different things, but I don't see either Abreu or Avi bringing back elite returns. Doesn't mean anything of worth can't come back, but would abreu or Avi bring back something like the Kahnle/Robertson/Frazier trade? I personally doubt it. There isn't a big group of teams they are fits for and that will suppress returns.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
Elite will mean different things, but I don't see either Abreu or Avi bringing back elite returns. Doesn't mean anything of worth can't come back, but would abreu or Avi bring back something like the Kahnle/Robertson/Frazier trade? I personally doubt it. There isn't a big group of teams they are fits for and that will suppress returns.

Too soon to assess what a potential trade market will be like in a few months. Injuries can completely change how valuable one of our pieces might be.

If Moustakas couldnt get 5 years and $60 million at age 29, LH, key position on the infield....what can Avi realistically expect two offseasons from now at age 28 (assuming he stays a minimum 3-4.5 war player)?

What would/should/could Hahn be willing to offer, know he’ll probably be too low but just checking to see if he’ll bite without insulting him simultaneously?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:55 AM)

The prices for hitters like Abreu and Garcia is minimal these days. Hitter only returns are practically meaningless. Maybe another 3 months of Avi hitting and fielding changes that for him, but it hasn't been good these last few years.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
Even if Avi continues to hit well, I'll still see him as too high risk for a long term investment.

Unless the power shows in the next four months, there is no point in extending him IMO. His speed has helped him over-compensate in certain areas and when that starts to go it could quickly get ugly for him. I do not want to pay big money for that player.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:02 AM)
I don't think there's a team out there that would give him a big payday right now, even if he comes back and shows #1 ability for the final 4 months. I'd offer him a team friendly extension and see if he bites on some financial security in exchange for some free agency years given what he's gone through in the last year plus.

After the winter Boras had with some of his clients, I bet he's willing to listen to a team friendly extension, especially with the injuries Rodon has had.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:46 AM)
If Moustakas couldnt get 5 years and $60 million at age 29, LH, key position on the infield....what can Avi realistically expect two offseasons from now at age 28 (assuming he stays a minimum 3-4.5 war player)?

What would/should/could Hahn be willing to offer, know he’ll probably be too low but just checking to see if he’ll bite without insulting him simultaneously?

If he is a 3-4.5 WAR player he could get a top prospect at least top 75 maybe top 50.

It's all about timing if a team needs an OF and he's there they'll pay. He'll the cubs last year gave up a top 100 prospect for Avila and a LHP.

Edited by wrathofhahn