Any interest in Y.Tomas after he clears waivers?

caulfield12

If the Sox were without a piece they currently have I could see going after him...but I think it's better to let Delmonico and Davidson play without having to throw someone else into their starts. You wouldn't be able to play Tomas as much as you would like to, to get his stock up for trade bait.

QUOTE (onedude @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 12:23 AM)
If the Sox were without a piece they currently have I could see going after him...but I think it's better to let Delmonico and Davidson play without having to throw someone else into their starts. You wouldn't be able to play Tomas as much as you would like to, to get his stock up for trade bait.

Agree with the above. Between Delmonico and Davidson, AB's are pretty limited already. Adding Tomas into the mix is going to make it hard to evaluate. Plus Charlotte is already loaded with guys that need consistent playing time - especially in the OF with May, Cordell, Tilson, and Palka.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 11:30 PM)
Agree with the above. Between Delmonico and Davidson, AB's are pretty limited already. Adding Tomas into the mix is going to make it hard to evaluate. Plus Charlotte is already loaded with guys that need consistent playing time - especially in the OF with May, Cordell, Tilson, and Palka.

Realistically, Cordell is the only one that realistically fits as a 4th/5th outfielder or platoon guy on a playoff roster.

Skole was actually the most impressive hitter, if only he had a a legit defensive position.

We might not be far from moving on without Abreu or Avi, there’s that to consider as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 12:33 AM)
Realistically, Cordell is the only one that realistically fits as a 4th/5th outfielder or platoon guy on a playoff roster.

Skole was actually the most impressive hitter, if only he had a a legit defensive position.

We might not be far from moving on without Abreu or Avi, there’s that to consider as well.

I agree. Cordell provides the most realistic value of those guys, but the Sox should give the others their chance to prove themselves as well. Tomas is already 27 and has had mixed results so far in the majors. He doesn't seem like the type of player that is going to be a key future piece to push the Sox in the right direction. He honestly reminds me a lot of Viciedo.

Strike out rate between 30 and 35 percent. I also believe that when he hit 30 bombs or whatever it was, his wRC+ was only 109. Couple that with how much he’s owed ( 45 million or something ) and it’s an easy HARD PASS for me.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 12:45 AM)
Strike out rate between 30 and 35 percent. I also believe that when he hit 30 bombs or whatever it was, his wRC+ was only 109. Couple that with how much he’s owed ( 45 million or something ) and it’s an easy HARD PASS for me.

DBacks will be on the hook for all of that...White Sox would have a very minimum contribution, as nobody in their right mind would assume his contract (see Alex Rios.)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 06:06 AM)
DBacks will be on the hook for all of that...White Sox would have a very minimum contribution, as nobody in their right mind would assume his contract (see Alex Rios.)

He will give up all his remaining money if he refuses to go to the minors and becomes a free agent. That would be dumb.

Edited by Dick Allen

Honestly, hell yes. This team should be open to almost anyone. Just my two cents.

Edit: this is without knowing anything about him. I forgot he even existed honestly. Just don’t pay attention to his team.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 05:16 AM)
He will give up all his remaining money if he refuses to go to the minors and becomes a free agent. That would be dumb.

I dont think people realize this. Only way he becomes a free agent is if he vacates the rest of his contract, and with how bad he is doing right now, he would be an idiot to give that money up. If for some reason he did, then sure, I would be willing to take a flier on him just to see what we have to work with.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 05:20 AM)
Caulfield, if this dude was Dominican and not Cuban I doubt you?€d have interest in adding him. That should tell you something.

If Abreu wasn?€t Cuban and Tatis Jr. was Cuban instead of Dominican, would Jose still be a White Sox and Tatis a Friar?

It’s all up to the DBacks. He could end up like Rusney Castillo, stuck in purgatory with the Red Sox but set for life financially...or Hector Olivera.

The Diamondbacks have placed slugger Yasmany Tomas on outright waivers, according to sources, a move that could amount to little more than his removal from the 40-man roster.

Tomas, who was optioned to Triple-A Reno last weekend, would seem highly unlikely to be claimed given that he still has three years and roughly $46 million remaining on his contract.

Assuming he goes unclaimed, the Diamondbacks would then outright Tomas to Reno. As a player with at least three years of service time, Tomas could refuse the assignment and become a free agent, but that seems highly unlikely since it would mean he would walk away from what’s left on his contract.

Tomas, who signed a six-year, $68 million deal in December 2014, has had a disappointing three years in the organization. He has swung the bat well at times, including in 2016, when he hit 31 homers and posted an .820 OPS (on-base-plus-slugging). azrepublic.com

In the end, unless the Sox paid part of his contract, he won’t be going anywhere unless they just outright release him (like the Braves did with Kazmir.) The first article I read online made it seem like it was an outright release and just eating the entire remaining contract (with a new front office in place.)

Edited by caulfield12

I'm usually 100% about bringing someone like this onboard, however I'd pass. Like someone said he's basically Viciedo Part 2. Is there a chance a change of scenery changes him into Avi Garcia Part 2 instead? Maybe.

But I really don't see him as part of our future more than Davidson and therefore unless he's willing to play in Charlotte and wait his turn, then no. He's a DH at best and I think we have enough candidates for that.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 07:36 AM)
I dont think people realize this. Only way he becomes a free agent is if he vacates the rest of his contract, and with how bad he is doing right now, he would be an idiot to give that money up. If for some reason he did, then sure, I would be willing to take a flier on him just to see what we have to work with.

At this stage you have to imagine that the Dbacks would be willing to pick up nearly all of his contract seeing as they just sent him to AAA and are paying him anyway. The question for the Sox is what would Arizona ask for in exchange for how much responsibility for the contract. I might be convinced to take a chunk of his deal in exchange for some interesting position player prospects. We could still use more positional depth, especially in the infield.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:35 PM)
At this stage you have to imagine that the Dbacks would be willing to pick up nearly all of his contract seeing as they just sent him to AAA and are paying him anyway. The question for the Sox is what would Arizona ask for in exchange for how much responsibility for the contract. I might be convinced to take a chunk of his deal in exchange for some interesting position player prospects. We could still use more positional depth, especially in the infield.

Exactly, this is under the assumption he's costing the Sox less than $1mm per year or something in my mind. Nobody is going to pay this guy.