Advertising Boycotts When Celebs Say Stupid Things

greg775

Do you agree with advertisers showing their displeasure with TV hosts by pulling their ads from the shows? Folks boycotted The View when Behar said Pence hearing from God was a sign of "mental illness." Ingraham who I've never heard of til this had advertisers take away their ads when she got on a Parkland student for getting rejected by a few college admissions departments.

My other question/comment is that the Behar thing offended me. I've complained about how the left and Hollywood blasts/mocks Christians all the time. Behar went too far. Like Pence said, God does speak to him. Many Christians believe God speaks to them, directs them and they are not mentally ill. I've brought this up before and the liberals on here have gotten mad at me. I say if some View host said something similar about Muslims or Jews or Jehovas Witnesses, she'd be off the air. But christians are fair game to blast all the time. You can't be a believer without getting hit from all sides for praying to the invisible man, just ask Bill Maher.

I'm glad NBC had the guts to air Jesus Christ Superstar on Easter. A step in the right direction for believers IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 11:05 PM)
I'm glad NBC had the guts to air Jesus Christ Superstar on Easter. A step in the right direction for believers IMO.

The entire evangelical base was super angry about JCS. Its been around for 40 years and was pretty universally hated by fundamental christians and was being bashed by the same people on the internet last night.

I watched it and it was phenomenal.

I say if some View host said something similar about Muslims or Jews or Jehovas Witnesses,

This is a pretty moronic statement. You not only have entire channels calling Muslims crazy and evil, but you have the president echoing the same exact views. Let me know when he gets taken off the air.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 10:05 PM)
Do you agree with advertisers showing their displeasure with TV hosts by pulling their ads from the shows? Folks boycotted The View when Behar said Pence hearing from God was a sign of "mental illness." Ingraham who I've never heard of til this had advertisers take away their ads when she got on a Parkland student for getting rejected by a few college admissions departments.

My other question/comment is that the Behar thing offended me. I've complained about how the left and Hollywood blasts/mocks Christians all the time. Behar went too far. Like Pence said, God does speak to him. Many Christians believe God speaks to them, directs them and they are not mentally ill. I've brought this up before and the liberals on here have gotten mad at me. I say if some View host said something similar about Muslims or Jews or Jehovas Witnesses, she'd be off the air. But christians are fair game to blast all the time. You can't be a believer without getting hit from all sides for praying to the invisible man, just ask Bill Maher.

Wow it's amazing how you are able to make it through life with all that oppression you face as a white, Christian male.

If I was a CEO, I wouldn't want my business associated with someone who rips a 17 year old, who was hiding from an active shooter in his school, for not getting into a few colleges, Throws up the Nazi salute at the RNC, and felt it was her responsibility to out gay people when she was in college.

Laura Ingraham maybe a worse person then Coulter. I had to board her radio show back in the day and it was a miserable 3 hours a day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:09 AM)
The entire evangelical base was super angry about JCS. Its been around for 40 years and was pretty universally hated by fundamental christians and was being bashed by the same people on the internet last night.

Because it makes Judas a sympathetic figure and shows Jesus romantically with a prostitute.

It's amazing how many adults have attacked these kids on twitter, and almost every single one of them eventually apologizes. Frank Stallone, Sly's brother was the last. I saw one comment where they could boycott something in response, but there isn't anything to boycott for Frank Stallone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:25 AM)
It's amazing how many adults have attacked these kids on twitter, and almost every single one of them eventually apologizes. Frank Stallone, Sly's brother was the last. I saw one comment where they could boycott something in response, but there isn't anything to boycott for Frank Stallone.

He did some songs for Saturday Night Fever, but Travolta already is boycotted....

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:25 AM)
Because it makes Judas a sympathetic figure and shows Jesus romantically with a prostitute.

I mean, isn't that a pretty universal interpretation of whats in the bible? She WAS made a saint.

lot's of the pushback last night was based on things like the skin color of the cast, the tattoos (Oreilly), and the music which was completely the same as before.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:02 AM)
If I was a CEO, I wouldn't want my business associated with someone who rips a 17 year old, who was hiding from an active shooter in his school, for not getting into a few colleges, Throws up the Nazi salute at the RNC, and felt it was her responsibility to out gay people when she was in college.

Laura Ingraham maybe a worse person then Coulter. I had to board her radio show back in the day and it was a miserable 3 hours a day.

Free speech doesnt mean it comes without consequences... Her vacation is about to become permanent.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 11:05 PM)
Do you agree with advertisers showing their displeasure with TV hosts by pulling their ads from the shows?

This is the most confusing question I think you've ever asked. What are advertisers supposed to do, continue advertising on a show they (or most of their customers) don't agree with? Of course they are going to pull their ads. They're running a business.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:09 PM)

I watched it and it was phenomenal.

This is a pretty moronic statement. You not only have entire channels calling Muslims crazy and evil, but you have the president echoing the same exact views. Let me know when he gets taken off the air.

Are Catholics considered evangelical? Just asking. Haven't heard either way. As a Catholic who tries to abide by many/most of the rules, I was thrilled with the show. Great music. Great acting and I like when the story of the death/resurrection of Christ gets told so people can see it and not mock us for believing in it. I can picture the Joy Behar's and Bill Maher's watching that and being furious that believers are enjoying the show. I love the fact the cast included people of all races. That was cool.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:44 PM)
Wow it's amazing how you are able to make it through life with all that oppression you face as a white, Christian male.

I'm not talking about me. I feel no oppression. I'm talking about the people that mock my religion and that's OK. You can mock a Catholic on TV or Christian on TV easily and get away with it. Talk about the invisible man in the sky we pray to, etc. You know, a lot of famous people who are beloved by the left also are believers. My idol, Jimmy Carter, is a staunch believer in God. Obama is a believer and his wife a believer. Reagan had a minister visit him every morning I believe.

I am not moaning about oppression. I am moaning about the unfairness of my religion getting mocked on TV and radio all the time and those people don't get fired. And they'd be fired for going after other faiths. Joy Behar said we are guilty of mental illness and kept her job.

Tulsa do you think it's OK to blast Catholics? You must admit people don't even bat an eye if they hear a Cathlolic joke or rip of the Cathlolic faith, the entire Christian faith? That's why I loved the publicity for believers last night in a well-acted, awesomely sung show telling the story of Jesus. If they got a few facts wrong, who cares? I love it.

p.s. I was gonna start a thread on JC Superstar Sunday night but I didn't want to cause any firestorm, proving again I ain't no troll.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:12 PM)
Free speech doesnt mean it comes without consequences... Her vacation is about to become permanent.

True. She has the right to say whatever she wants, but insulting that kid was awful. That kid is to be praised not scorned IMO. Shame on her.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:44 PM)
True. She has the right to say whatever she wants, but insulting that kid was awful. That kid is to be praised not scorned IMO. Shame on her.

I guess I don't know why these adults think slamming a high school kid who survives a massacre that killed 17, perhaps including some of his or her friends, is going to be good for them in the long run. Some nuts will jump on the bandwagon, but the vast majority will be appalled. This woman apparently forgot about advertisers, and hopefully it ends her media career. I have no idea what she is thinking, what the musician was thinking, what Frank Stallone was thinking. How the hell are they going to benefit? The people loving what they tweet generally aren't their target audience or the target audience of any advertisers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 07:07 PM)
I guess I don't know why these adults think slamming a high school kid who survives a massacre that killed 17, perhaps including some of his or her friends, is going to be good for them in the long run. Some nuts will jump on the bandwagon, but the vast majority will be appalled. This woman apparently forgot about advertisers, and hopefully it ends her media career. I have no idea what she is thinking, what the musician was thinking, what Frank Stallone was thinking. How the hell are they going to benefit? The people loving what they tweet generally aren't their target audience or the target audience of any advertisers.

Amen, Dick. You are da man.

This is a general comment and not a defense in this Fox case at all, but the swiftness with which social media outrage can destroy a person is scary. Every case is different and some are very justifiable, but say one thing or get caught on cell phone video in a compromising situation, and within 24 hours you can lose everything. Employment terminated, public name scorned, the works. And I don't know what you can do to get it back cause it will always be available via a simple Google search. It's crazy, especially with the react now, justify later mentality that social media helps instigate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:47 PM)
This is a general comment and not a defense in this Fox case at all, but the swiftness with which social media outrage can destroy a person is scary. Every case is different and some are very justifiable, but say one thing or get caught on cell phone video in a compromising situation, and within 24 hours you can lose everything. Employment terminated, public name scorned, the works. And I don't know what you can do to get it back cause it will always be available via a simple Google search. It's crazy, especially with the react now, justify later mentality that social media helps instigate.

It’s like the extreme opposite end of the pendulum from the situations where people like Harvey Weinstein and Roger Ailes were allowed to continue being terrible humans because of their power.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:43 PM)
Are Catholics considered evangelical? Just asking. Haven't heard either way. As a Catholic who tries to abide by many/most of the rules, I was thrilled with the show. Great music. Great acting and I like when the story of the death/resurrection of Christ gets told so people can see it and not mock us for believing in it. I can picture the Joy Behar's and Bill Maher's watching that and being furious that believers are enjoying the show. I love the fact the cast included people of all races. That was cool.

No. Catholics are probably considered outsiders by the evangelical base as they were originally the type of immigrant population that was oppressed in this country. And I dont think anyone, including non-believers are upset about that being shown. Its been on TV before, its been a long running show in many cities across the country. It was f***ing awesome. You dont have to believe in the story of Christ to accept that its still a great story with a good message and it super entertaining. Thats the entire point of the musical.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:47 PM)

Many of these people have used social media in their own favor to gather hoards of their (for her) alt right base that doesnt agree with the norms. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 11:10 AM)
I mean, isn't that a pretty universal interpretation of whats in the bible? She WAS made a saint.

lot's of the pushback last night was based on things like the skin color of the cast, the tattoos (Oreilly), and the music which was completely the same as before.

Even the Catholics have apologized for their portrayal of Magdeline as a prostitute.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
Huh? The entire basis of her story is Jesus expelling demons from her.

Do some reading. Your knowledge is outdated. Recent Pope's have completely disowned those ideas, falling much more in line with the actual biblical text.

http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/200806/...magdalene-27585

http://www.osservatoreromano.va/en/news/mary-magdalene