Advertising Boycotts When Celebs Say Stupid Things

greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 03:55 PM)
Do some reading. Your knowledge is outdated. Recent Pope's have completely disowned those ideas, falling much more in line with the actual biblical text.

http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/200806/...magdalene-27585

http://www.osservatoreromano.va/en/news/mary-magdalene

which version of the biblical text? My knowledge is definitely out of date, however there are many version of the canon of Mary Magdalene. I was confirmed as a Methodist and then converted to Catholicism and both interpretations of the bible were very different.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:55 PM)
Social Media is able to create a snowball effect that is unlike anything we've ever seen in our culture, in terms of how quick it can happen and take on a life of its own.

Ultimately social media is not good or healthy. It will be interesting to see what happens with it over time, especially as more studies are done and as more linkage comes out related to increased suicide rates (especially in youths), etc. There are pluses to social media, but my personal opinion is there are a heck of a lot of negatives. Of course that comes from someone who largely stays away from social media (so I might be a bit biased / jaded).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 07:47 PM)
This is a general comment and not a defense in this Fox case at all, but the swiftness with which social media outrage can destroy a person is scary. Every case is different and some are very justifiable, but say one thing or get caught on cell phone video in a compromising situation, and within 24 hours you can lose everything. Employment terminated, public name scorned, the works. And I don't know what you can do to get it back cause it will always be available via a simple Google search. It's crazy, especially with the react now, justify later mentality that social media helps instigate.

True. Kathy Griffin got buried. I'll give Kathy credit. She's rebounded nicely and can continue her career. Upon reflection (I'm sure I wanted her ruined at first) all she did was issue a Warhol-esque type statement. Not worth ending her career over the bloody head of Trump thing. Is Kathy one of the first to get buried by Twitterworld and TV world, regroup and come back nicely?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:45 PM)
Even the Catholics have apologized for their portrayal of Magdeline as a prostitute.

As a Catholic, I don't get worked up either way. I know Jesus is without sin, so that means he didn't have sex with her, but if he did? I wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. I mean most young-ish priests nowadays acknowledged they dated a lot in high school and college and certainly had sex in many of those cases. It's all part of life (those who broke the law via the assault cases obviously should be thrown in jail forever). ... Again, I know Jesus is without sin, and Catholics consider premarital sex a sin, but I don't get worked up about whatever relationship Christ had with Mary M.

Edited by greg775

I still think about that family that lost their toddler to a gator attack and then had social media destroy them a second time casting blame on the parents.

Anyway, I think the boycotts are a silly form of protest but they are just a form of protest. And it does effect sometimes where I shop, for instance, I never go to oberweis!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:02 PM)
which version of the biblical text? My knowledge is definitely out of date, however there are many version of the canon of Mary Magdalene. I was confirmed as a Methodist and then converted to Catholicism and both interpretations of the bible were very different.

The reading and accepted understanding of MM's role in the New Testament has changed radically, not only in my lifetime, but really in the last 10 to 15 years. It reminds me a lot of what has happened to the idea that Christopher Columbus discovered America in my lifetime. In my childhood it was pretty much a universally accepted fact that Columbus discovered the Americas, with some crazy conspiracies that lent credit to idea that someone like the Vikings or Chinese might have been here hundreds of years before Columbus. Today even though the idea is still out there, most people at least understand that the idea is largely discredited, but instead are more interested in discussing the world altering impact of the Columbus landing and the usage of the landing to push historical themes and ideas for the benefit of specific groups of people. The impact of MM in the bible is both similar in its wrongness, its usage as a propaganda tool, and its reform in recent years.

Those two links I posted are the most conservative interpretations that I have read. The truly radical readings speculate that MM was very likely the wife of Christ and wife of his child, or short of that, his second most important apostle and the only one who stuck with him through the crucifixion and resurrection. Lots of scholars feel that she was actually the brains of the operation, and not Peter.

Regardless to where you fall on that spectrum, recent scholarly readings all agree that she was a vitally important figure in the Christ movement during his lifetime, as well as after it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 03:55 PM)
Do some reading. Your knowledge is outdated. Recent Pope's have completely disowned those ideas, falling much more in line with the actual biblical text.

http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/200806/...magdalene-27585

http://www.osservatoreromano.va/en/news/mary-magdalene

Thanks for sharing those. As a raised Catholic, now agnostic, I had no idea how much the narrative around Mary Magdalene has changed. Really interesting stuff.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)
Thanks for sharing those. As a raised Catholic, now agnostic, I had no idea how much the narrative around Mary Magdalene has changed. Really interesting stuff.

When you consider the 2000ish years of history that exists there, it is pretty unreal how much that has changed in such a "short" amount of time.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:53 PM)

I just finished reading it. After 2,000 years of one interpretation its kind of swayed in the last decade. Thats pretty wild.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)
Ultimately social media is not good or healthy. It will be interesting to see what happens with it over time, especially as more studies are done and as more linkage comes out related to increased suicide rates (especially in youths), etc. There are pluses to social media, but my personal opinion is there are a heck of a lot of negatives. Of course that comes from someone who largely stays away from social media (so I might be a bit biased / jaded).

From someone in the tech security world, its better to put next to nothing on social media. The people who decide to post and argue on facebook is really one of the most moronic things you can do.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 05:33 PM)
From someone in the tech security world, its better to put next to nothing on social media. The people who decide to post and argue on facebook is really one of the most moronic things you can do.

It really is a double edged sword. I used to rarely if ever post on my Facebook and LinkedIn accounts, until I asked a couple employers why I wasn't getting jobs and one of the things they said was lack of social media presence. It really has made life so much more complex than it needs to be.