2018 Attendance Thread

Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:45 AM)
Even the Cubs were getting negative pub during their rebuild with pictures of vast empty spaces within Wrigley (though obviously never as empty as what we saw this week). This is a rebuild year. We'll be bad, and attendance will be bad. I thought everybody was clear on this.

This line of thinking is unacceptable for most fans who care about this team. In general we aren't concerned with losses but they shouldn't have come now. Detroit is 1 and 9 outside of their sweep of us. Tampa Bay is 1 and 10 outside of beating us. I don't mind losing in Toronto or getting bashed by the other Sox, Yankees, etc, but the Tigers and Rays going 5 and 1 against us in Chicago?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:58 AM)
10 Degrees: MLB's enormous attendance drop due to bad weather or something far worse for baseball?

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees-mlbs-en...-152051024.html

Yay, more fear-mongering! Tanking is ruining the game!

I swear, these writers are acting like this is the NBA.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)

I wonder what the average temp at first pitch has been for the games that have actually been played this year. Especially compared to prior years.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)

I'm a Passan fan, but I agree, that article is overboard. Ignoring the obvious effects of the cold weather this year, I like how he mentions the Cubs and Indians right away. Hey, the 2016 World Series teams, who fell short in 2017, saw a big drop in attendance to start the 2018 season. Baseball has a problem!! Those were the most predictable attendance drops on the board.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 01:58 PM)
I'm a Passan fan, but I agree, that article is overboard. Ignoring the obvious effects of the cold weather this year, I like how he mentions the Cubs and Indians right away. Hey, the 2016 World Series teams, who fell short in 2017, saw a big drop in attendance to start the 2018 season. Baseball has a problem!! Those were the most predictable attendance drops on the board.

I like Passan too, generally. But this article is just really poorly done. He implies that tanking is the problem, and then not only discusses the teams that you mentioned, but also the Cardinals and Red Sox, as if those teams are tanking and not playoff threats in currently cold climates.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 09:58 AM)
10 Degrees: MLB's enormous attendance drop due to bad weather or something far worse for baseball?

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees-mlbs-en...-152051024.html

What about Kaepernik? Has anyone thought about blaming him for attendance woes? I know he was the reason for NFL ratings declining.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...-sox/522499002/

Last night was barely 7,500 in Oakland...as for tonight?€s free admission offer:

?€œIt?€s important to understand this is a one-time event. You only turn 50 once,?€?€ Kaval said. ?€œThe way I look at it, we?€re giving back to the community. We?€re going to have a great fun time at the ballpark together and we?€re going to get a lot of people excited about the very bright future of A?€s baseball in Oakland.?€?€

The A?€s recent past has been bleak, with three consecutive last-place finishes, and the prospects for this season don?€t look much better. Even more troubling for the fans has been the team?€s penchant for trading away its stars just as they?€re about to start getting expensive. In the last few years alone, the list of players who fit that profile includes Josh Donaldson, Yoenis Cespedes, Sonny Gray and Josh Reddick.

On top of that, the club has explored moving to Fremont, some 25 miles to the south, and also further south to San Jose, as it seeks to build a new ballpark. An ownership group now trying to bring a big league team to Portland is sure to look into the A?€s availability, even as the team proclaims it?€s ?€œrooted in Oakland.?€?€

That instability has eroded a fan base that has long been known for its devotion, if not necessarily its large numbers.

?€œTheir problems are bigger than giving away free tickets and diminishing any kind of value,?€?€ said Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing expert based in San Francisco. ?€œ(The free admission) certainly could build interest in the team with casual fans who may not otherwise go to a game. They may take this opportunity to be there for this is and say, ?€˜Hey, this is a better experience than I thought.?€?€?€

Dorfman points out the A?€s wouldn?€t typically draw a big crowd on a Tuesday night ?€“ likely in the 10,000-12,000 range ?€“ so it?€s not like they?€re forsaking a large payout. That?€s part of the reason he likes the freebie initiative, though the larger issues remain.

?€œI think the intentions are good,?€?€ Dorfman said. ?€œUltimately, it?€s got to come down to a better, consistent team and a cool place to play.?€?€

Since Kaval?€s arrival in November 2016, the A?€s have taken steps to make the Coliseum more appealing, improving the food offerings at the concession stands, setting up an outdoor plaza with food trucks and establishing unique new sections such as the Treehouse and the Farm.

The club has also focused its search for a stadium locale in Oakland, and plans to announce a site by the end of the year after its top location option became unavailable in December.

The expected revenue from a new ballpark, with a hoped-for opening date in 2023, would be critical for the A?€s hopes of holding on to talented young players like third baseman Matt Chapman, first baseman Matt Olson and lefty Sean Manaea, instead of continuing the practice of trading them away.

?€œWe want to make sure they?€re the players who open the new ballpark,?€?€ Kaval said. ?€œWe have a great young nucleus. We?€re doing everything we can to make sure we can lock them up and they can be here for a long time. That?€s not something that happens overnight, but that is a commitment.?€?€

Another article

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Me...re-12839533.php

The Jed Lowrie quote is telling...

Edited by caulfield12

“It’s important to understand this is a one-time event. You only turn 50 once,’’ Kaval said. “The way I look at it, we’re giving back to the community. We’re going to have a great fun time at the ballpark together and we’re going to get a lot of people excited about the very bright future of A’s baseball in Oakland.’’

The A’s recent past has been bleak, with three consecutive last-place finishes, and the prospects for this season don’t look much better. Even more troubling for the fans has been the team’s penchant for trading away its stars just as they’re about to start getting expensive. In the last few years alone, the list of players who fit that profile includes Josh Donaldson, Yoenis Cespedes, Sonny Gray and Josh Reddick.

On top of that, the club has explored moving to Fremont, some 25 miles to the south, and also further south to San Jose, as it seeks to build a new ballpark. An ownership group now trying to bring a big league team to Portland is sure to look into the A’s availability, even as the team proclaims it’s “rooted in Oakland.’’

That instability has eroded a fan base that has long been known for its devotion, if not necessarily its large numbers.

“Their problems are bigger than giving away free tickets and diminishing any kind of value,’’ said Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing expert based in San Francisco. “(The free admission) certainly could build interest in the team with casual fans who may not otherwise go to a game. They may take this opportunity to be there for this is and say, ‘Hey, this is a better experience than I thought.’’’

Dorfman points out the A’s wouldn’t typically draw a big crowd on a Tuesday night – likely in the 10,000-12,000 range – so it’s not like they’re forsaking a large payout. That’s part of the reason he likes the freebie initiative, though the larger issues remain.

“I think the intentions are good,’’ Dorfman said. “Ultimately, it’s got to come down to a better, consistent team and a cool place to play.’’

Since Kaval’s arrival in November 2016, the A’s have taken steps to make the Coliseum more appealing, improving the food offerings at the concession stands, setting up an outdoor plaza with food trucks and establishing unique new sections such as the Treehouse and the Farm.

The club has also focused its search for a stadium locale in Oakland, and plans to announce a site by the end of the year after its top location option became unavailable in December.

The expected revenue from a new ballpark, with a hoped-for opening date in 2023, would be critical for the A’s hopes of holding on to talented young players like third baseman Matt Chapman, first baseman Matt Olson and lefty Sean Manaea, instead of continuing the practice of trading them away.

“We want to make sure they’re the players who open the new ballpark,’’ Kaval said. “We have a great young nucleus. We’re doing everything we can to make sure we can lock them up and they can be here for a long time. That’s not something that happens overnight, but that is a commitment.’’

edit to see if weird symbols show up.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
Dear Mods, when you go back in and edit a completed post...you get those weird symbols for the quotation marks and especially any apostrophes when the post reloads.

I think it's you. You're the only person who's posts I've ever seen those symbols show up on.

I'm 98% sure it's a problem related to editing/correcting posts with an I-pad.

I don't have this issue at school when I'm using a Lenovo PC.

Maybe it's something to do with iOS, or something to do with the fact that I have an older I-pad Pro, not sure. I doubt it can be blamed on the Chinese internet censors or "Great Firewall of China."

EDITS POST, NO WEIRD ALIEN HIEROGLYPHICS SHOW UP ALL OVER THE PLACE

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:07 PM)
I'm 98% sure it's a problem related to editing/correcting posts with an I-pad.

I don't have this issue at school when I'm using a Lenovo PC.

Maybe it's something to do with iOS, or something to do with the fact that I have an older I-pad Pro, not sure. I doubt it can be blamed on the Chinese internet censors or "Great Firewall of China."

EDITS POST, NO WEIRD ALIEN HIEROGLYPHICS SHOW UP ALL OVER THE PLACE

[sickbay]

CRUSHER: How are you this morning?

WILLIE: Not so great. I'm having trouble standing up. I get sort of dizzy.

CRUSHER: You heard the old story about the man who goes to his doctor? He says, Doctor, it hurts when I raise my arm like this. The Doctor says, then don't raise your arm like that.

WILLIE: So, if I get dizzy standing up

CRUSHER: Then don't stand up.

Script
  • Like 1

The Blackhawks used to give away free tickets to several games in late March, early April the final few seasons of the Bill Wirtz era. All you had to pay was a nominal ticketmaster fee and you could be on the glass. I bet most people had no idea. It still was half full at best. I went several times with my wife. She of course now asks if that will be available again. I told her if so, not for a very long time.

Edited by Dick Allen

White Sox almost drew 24,000 last night...Rays had 10,106 for a weekend game against the Twins. 16,258 average. Would be about 1.3 million for a full season.

Back into 28th place for attendance.  Pitt and Miami also worse.

Cincy, Minnesota, Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, KC and Cleveland ahead of the Sox.  Basically, the entire AL Central is bottom 10, which makes ten years of no playoffs even more incredible.

In 2028 ... no kid pays for a ticket

MLB has a demographic crisis: In 2018, 30 million seats (more than 10,000 per game) sat empty, a trend that only got worse the next few years as the median fan age drifted into the mid-50s. So seizing upon an idea the Orioles tried in 2018, every club mandates that all adults who buy tickets can claim free tickets for their children. A new generation has easy access to the game, and embarrassing empty sections in non-sellout cities fill up. Even the few ballparks that resist -- Wrigley and Fenway, especially -- concede to a new social norm: Baseball is free if you're a kid.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23117307/what-nfl-nba-nhl-mlb-wnba-look-2028

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox almost drew 24,000 last night...Rays had 10,106 for a weekend game against the Twins. 16,258 average. Would be about 1.3 million for a full season.

Back into 28th place for attendance.  Pitt and Miami also worse.

Cincy, Minnesota, Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, KC and Cleveland ahead of the Sox.  Basically, the entire AL Central is bottom 10, which makes ten years of no playoffs even more incredible.

In 2028 ... no kid pays for a ticket

MLB has a demographic crisis: In 2018, 30 million seats (more than 10,000 per game) sat empty, a trend that only got worse the next few years as the median fan age drifted into the mid-50s. So seizing upon an idea the Orioles tried in 2018, every club mandates that all adults who buy tickets can claim free tickets for their children. A new generation has easy access to the game, and embarrassing empty sections in non-sellout cities fill up. Even the few ballparks that resist -- Wrigley and Fenway, especially -- concede to a new social norm: Baseball is free if you're a kid.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23117307/what-nfl-nba-nhl-mlb-wnba-look-2028

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Tampa Bay's number is inflated. They opened the season at home against Boston. They got big crowds( for them) from New England snowbirds that were still in Florida at the end of March.  They also don't have the cold weather issue affecting mid-west teams with attendance. Tampa Bay will probably draw 10,000-12,000 per game this season. White Sox will quickly distance themselves from them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Average fell under 15,000 and back into 28th, just behind the Rays

Should be back over that number on the weekend, heading for 1.212 million on the season without factoring in summer bump up. Of course, team winning percentage is 27th as well.

Edited by caulfield12

On 5/4/2018 at 4:44 AM, caulfield12 said:

Average fell under 15,000 and back into 28th, just behind the Rays

Should be back over that number on the weekend, heading for 1.212 million on the season without factoring in summer bump up. Of course, team winning percentage is 27th as well.

Just a thought on the Rays. I posted several weeks ago that their average is inflated because the Red Sox and Phillies series drew large crowds 20,000 ish but Toronto and Minny drew 10,000 ish. But attached is an interesting article where the Red Sox AAA affiliate posted fake attendance. Why? They are lobbying for a new stadium and looking for taxpayers to make deep investment rather than the Red Sox.  I wonder if Tampa will see a "resurgence" at the turnstiles since they are also looking for public investment in their attempt at a new stadium. 

http://www.golocalprov.com/news/pawsox-attendance-inflated-by-as-much-as-300

Yeah, and Oakland padded their numbers as well with a free night (40,0000+) for the 50th Anniversary of the Coliseum.

Strip those numbers away, they’re at 17,180 pg, not 19,055.  White Sox currently at 15,732.

Cleve should beat us, but Balt and Cincy are in sight.  Detroit and KC will struggle all year long as well.

Edited by caulfield12