2018 Attendance Thread

Middle Buffalo

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

After today, back up to 26th...pretty successful weekend all-around.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Average=16,906

Sounds about right.  Biggest surprise on that list is Minnesota, they lost their new park rush quickly even though they have been competitive.  And Houston is low for a defending champ.

4 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Sounds about right.  Biggest surprise on that list is Minnesota, they lost their new park rush quickly even though they have been competitive.  And Houston is low for a defending champ.

That's why I have always put the White Sox with the Astros, Rockies/DBacks and Mariners if we're comparing markets...granted, some of that must still be related to the devastating natural disaster HOU went through.

Minnesota is kind of in that area where the White Sox were 5-7 years ago...with a young core of Berrios/Romero/Kepler/Sano/Buxton, but the problem is Buxton has never lived up to his offensive potential, Sano's falling off (off-field issues as well)...kind of in no man's land because they haven't been willing to run payroll into that $130-150 million range (and too much is invested in Mauer).  That park has been open around nine years...almost a decade.   Fwiw, the last REALLY good Twins' team was that 2010 version that got spanked by the Yankees.

Will go to a game there June 5th (against the Orioles, rotten luck) for the first time, am interested to see it.

The other big surprise from that list is how well SD draws for a pretty terrible MLB team.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The other big surprise from that list is how well SD draws for a pretty terrible MLB team.

SD has a very good fan experience imo, I saw a game there a few years ago and its a very nice park plus the weather makes it better. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Averaged has picked up by about 500 per game since last update...but it would have been truly ugly to look at yesterday’s numbers without making it a combined DH.

We are doomed to battle back and forth with Pittsburgh for 26th and 27th.

26. Pittsburgh, 17,607 per game

27. White Sox, 17,414 per game

KC and Detroit will eventually sink below the Sox in future years...they (KC) have two more seasons before the World Series bump wears off and attendance returns to historical norms there.  Minnesota is really in trouble if they can’t manage to be competitive this year after all their moves this past offseason.  Detroit could be (especially) hard hit again by a trade war affecting Big Auto and yet another recession (not as bad as a decade ago.)

Hopefully in 2020/21 we are back approaching where the Phillies or Mariners are currently.

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

I could see the attendance average bump up over the remainder of the season. We still have series against Toronto, Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs. 

It won't be a reflection of increased interest in the sox, but the numbers should go up. 

Angels with lots of Asian fans due to Ohtani...and best player in MLB since Bonds.

When we moved to Florida in 1993, the Sox were doing well in attendance and it was close to how many In the Metro were Sox fans or Cub fans, it was around 50/50 back then, any guesses to the ratio these days, is it 60/40 in favor of the Cubs or even 66/33? Based on attendance figures lately it's more like 66/33. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

When we moved to Florida in 1993, the Sox were doing well in attendance and it was close to how many In the Metro were Sox fans or Cub fans, it was around 50/50 back then, any guesses to the ratio these days, is it 60/40 in favor of the Cubs or even 66/33? Based on attendance figures lately it's more like 66/33. 

Honestly if you go to any sporting goods store in Chicagoland area, it's probably 85/15 Cubs in terms of merchandise available 

• Like 1

In the Quad Cities now, the White Sox have ceased to exist in sporting goods stores...I’m forced to wear my Sosa early 90’s White Sox jersey for our same time period high school reunion.

Pretty pathetic there’s more demand for Joe Maddon jerseys than a single player like Moncada, Abreu, Avi, Anderson, Rodon, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

On 7/26/2018 at 7:32 PM, fathom said:

Honestly if you go to any sporting goods store in Chicagoland area, it's probably 85/15 Cubs in terms of merchandise available 

Coming from an admitted pessimist ... I was talking with a friend about this the other day.  I know I'm a pessimist but based on anecdotes like this I don't think this team has a chance in this city any longer.  You're going to have kids growing up and knowing nothing but Cubs success and White Sox failure for 15+ years.  Those that are White Sox fans by birth won't be able to find White Sox attire.  The state is going broke and not likely to give them a sweetheart deal when the lease is up.  Who is going to root for this team in 2030?  I've been thinking nonstop about this since 2016.  Do they have to move?

• Like 1

What is attendance supposed to do with 6  losing seasons in a row, the last 2 of which have been non-competitive, and an organization in which there is zero accountability for outcomes.
The lack of accountability is a big depressant because it gives the appearance that that the organization doesn't prioritize winning.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Juschill said:

Coming from an admitted pessimist ... I was talking with a friend about this the other day.  I know I'm a pessimist but based on anecdotes like this I don't think this team has a chance in this city any longer.  You're going to have kids growing up and knowing nothing but Cubs success and White Sox failure for 15+ years.  Those that are White Sox fans by birth won't be able to find White Sox attire.  The state is going broke and not likely to give them a sweetheart deal when the lease is up.  Who is going to root for this team in 2030?  I've been thinking nonstop about this since 2016.  Do they have to move?

You weren't kidding about being a pessimist.

It's simple, if the team wins, the fans will show up again, that's just how sports work. They may never be as popular as the Cubs again, but the Cell will be fully packed at the next Sox home playoff game, whenever that is.

While they don't have a direct competitor in town, the Blackhawks are the perfect example. Early 2000s, they were getting 6k a night at the UC and nobody remembered they existed, the minor league team in town was more popular. A few Cups later and every kid in the city has Hawks gear, even those who have never ice skated once.

10 hours ago, Juschill said:

Keep in mind that the team is 27th in attendance in MLB. But according to Forbes magazine  they are 14th in revenue. Thre's not any place in the USA where the team would move to and make the money that they are making here in Chicago. Also ESPN has recently pointed out that the White Sox are 30th in MLB payroll. The White Sox payroll is the lowest in MLB. Hopefully when the lease on the stadium expires in 2029 the White Sox will have new ownership and will build a new stadium somewhere in the Chicago area. If they don't get a new stadium I would think the State of Illinois will give them the same deal they have now. What choice would the State of Illinois have? What else would they do with the stadium?

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/10-degrees-baseballs-attendance-woes-mlb-owners-rightfully-spooked-031815621.html?bcmt=1

Whenever I watch the highlights of all but a handful of teams, it's apparent that attendance is down throughout the league. Lots of 2/3 full stadiums. 

I suppose prices will eventually drop, but who knows?