2018 Attendance Thread

Middle Buffalo

Attendance used to matter more. Now it's all about TV deals. Unfortunately for the White Sox (and many other MLB franchises), the teams negotiate for local right on their own.

The good news is, the "salary cap" is going to help us long term, as the Sox make enough money as an organization to afford the entirety of the cap.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:55 AM)
Attendance used to matter more. Now it's all about TV deals. Unfortunately for the White Sox (and many other MLB franchises), the teams negotiate for local right on their own.

The good news is, the "salary cap" is going to help us long term, as the Sox make enough money as an organization to afford the entirety of the cap.

What salary cap are you referring to?

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:55 AM)

I think attendance still matters. Tickets, food and gear are a source of revenue for the team. Crowds have a major impact on the surrounding area depending on the location. If attendance wasn't important, teams would not continue to build new stadiums. I live in New England and Florida and in both new stadiums are very hot topics right now. In New England, a turf war is developing over the new location for the Red Sox AAA location. Tampa Bay continues to "beg" for a new stadium to replace the Trop.

As a New England resident, I know Fenway has a whole cottage industry in the surrounding area. At the same time, Gillette Stadium was built in the burbs. At one time, there was only private parking lots around the stadium. Then attendance came along and now there is a massive year-round entertainment complex in and around the stadium.

TV is a big big deal but attendance is still a big factor.

Since 2013 the Sox have been 12th or 13th in AL attendance. I think this year they're 11th or better. This team will be somewhat exciting, and atleast exciting enough to bring in 25-30k on some weekend games. I know that I already plan on going to 6-7 games over the summer.

With this weather on the horizon it's going to be a really down year for MLB and the White Sox in April.

I know I was planning on Saturday's game against DET and then Tuesday day game, but am likely out for both now. No reason to sit in the cold - not enjoyable at all.

Yeah I have a rule where until I would actually go to a game I don't criticize people for not going.

After last years opening day debacle, I have officially followed through with my rule of not going to a game in april.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Never really understood the need to go to a cold weather baseball game. I guess it's the same reason I don't go to football games, I just don't see the appeal of sitting out in the cold for 3+ hours, especially when I know I'll have plenty of opportunities to go to games in June-July-August.

Basically what happens is in late march I get the itch of wanting to go to a game, which in my head will be 80 degrees, chilling out and having a beer.

Then I buy tickets.

Then it's april 11th or so and I go to work in a parka and long johns because it's a 6:05 game that will be 35 degrees and rain.

At the game I'll say "I'm never doing this again"

In June I"ll go to a game it's great and I'll go 5-6 more times.

Next march I'll get the itch and think about those summer games and figure that I will get a rare 80 degree day in april. Rinse repeat.

I did not do a package this year because I was so sick of it being a roundabout way to force the worst games on me.

The reason I generally go in April is this:

1- years like this & last the games become meaningless by almost May, so while I know it's a long shot, mentally I like to be at a game that matters

2- the crowds are usually SUPER thin. Most games you can by $6 ticket and sit almost anywhere, but in April that's magnified.

3 - The tickets are SUPER cheap. I try and pick one April weekday, day game and buy Scout Seats on StubHub. You can generally get them for $100-120. It's fun to sit there for that price regardless the temps. Cold, go inside and watch an inning and eat/drink some more.

4- bonus trick, if you know the game is going to get rained out/snowed out/postponed for cold -- go buy the premium ticket an hour before the game -- aka Scout Seats for $100 or Diamond seats for $20-25 and hope you get the makeup game in June. Next thing you know you're sitting in 75 degree weather in scout seats for $100.

All of the above is true but one caveat, despite sparse crowds the servicepeople are still getting used to their positions, and fewer food/drink spots are open. I've found it still ends up taking forever to get food/drinks even when it's 12k there.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 11:58 AM)
The reason I generally go in April is this:

1- years like this & last the games become meaningless by almost May, so while I know it's a long shot, mentally I like to be at a game that matters

2- the crowds are usually SUPER thin. Most games you can by $6 ticket and sit almost anywhere, but in April that's magnified.

3 - The tickets are SUPER cheap. I try and pick one April weekday, day game and buy Scout Seats on StubHub. You can generally get them for $100-120. It's fun to sit there for that price regardless the temps. Cold, go inside and watch an inning and eat/drink some more.

4- bonus trick, if you know the game is going to get rained out/snowed out/postponed for cold -- go buy the premium ticket an hour before the game -- aka Scout Seats for $100 or Diamond seats for $20-25 and hope you get the makeup game in June. Next thing you know you're sitting in 75 degree weather in scout seats for $100.

That is outstanding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:31 PM)
That is outstanding.

The best is when you get to utilize the Scout Seats on an iffy game for a few hours before first pitch. You sit in warm, dry surroundings and then they call it without a pitch happening. Basically get a free buffet for 2 hours.

I've always aimed for that, hasn't happened yet.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:49 PM)
The best is when you get to utilize the Scout Seats on an iffy game for a few hours before first pitch. You sit in warm, dry surroundings and then they call it without a pitch happening. Basically get a free buffet for 2 hours.

I've always aimed for that, hasn't happened yet.

Or they can screw over 40k+ people like they did opening day last year and call the game after letting everyone in to buy concessions for a couple hours. Such a scumbag move that still makes me question ever going to a game again.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 06:51 AM)
What salary cap are you referring to?

The "competitive balance" tax has essentially become a very loose salary cap where only 30% of teams have ever broken it. With the 2016 CBA, the MLB luxury tax has become prohibitively expensive. So, while the salary cap (in a simplistic way) does not exist, the competitive balance tax has effectively worked. There are a handful of teams that pay the tax, but only two have blown away the tax ceiling.

Basically, the faux salary cap has guaranteed that a team like the White Sox and most of the mid-market teams will be able to spend right up there with most of the teams.

Edited by Sox-35th

Attendance woes: There were several “Yikes” tweets about the A’s announced attendance of 7,416. A’s beat writer Susan Slusser reported it was the team’s lowest attendance since April 3, 2003, when the team drew 6,295 fans. That game, however, was a makeup game after a planned trip to Japan had been canceled.

Maybe even more surprising was Toronto’s attendance of 16,629. The Blue Jays had just six crowds below 30,000 last season, with a low of 28,401 for a September game against the Orioles. The Jays’ attendance had soared past 3 million each of the past two seasons, the first time they had reached that mark since drawing 4 million in 1993. Is the bandwagon falling apart after one sub-.500 season?

Yes, it was a Monday night in early April, not exactly prime time for big attendance figures. The extra off days this season help with travel, but making a season that’s already too long for many fans a week longer doesn’t help.

The Blue Jays game, a 4-2 win over the White Sox, did offer an interesting moment when Josh Donaldson homered and then pretended to blow a whistle toward the White Sox dugout. Apparently, White Sox coach Daryl Boston whistles whenever the Sox make a good defensive play -- which seems as ridiculous as it must sound -- and Donaldson was miffed about a whistle earlier in the game when he grounded out. While the Sox dugout laughed at the gesture, this is Josh Donaldson we’re talking about: He didn’t do it to draw a laugh. espn.com Schoenfield

My ticket package first game is Sat 4/7. The forecast shows 41 which is a bit of a trend up. It showed 34 a few days back. A couple years back the ramps to 300 and 500 level iced over opening weekend. The game was delayed and was clear and bitter cold. If I recall the sox gave all attendees a ticket to a later game free of charge.

At this point there are obviously cheaper means to attend. My buddy at work had the White Sox pass and he said it was an excellent value if you can weather the elements. Most of those games are in the early season where crowds are sparse, weeknights, school still in. Back in the 80s when I was a kid my dad lost his job at US Steel Southworks in South Chicago, so I didn’t attend as many games as I would have wanted. The sox gave CPS kids back then general admission for honor roll or perfect attendance and so if I was lucky I went to a game or two a year at the old park. I lived out of market for a number of years including 05, and always said if I moved back to the area I would go to as many games as practical. My son is 15 and I’m raising him as another White Sox diehard. I feel very fortunate and hope to see a playoff game one day.

Not sure where else to put this, but I've got to say yesterday was probably the most well-run Opening Day I've been to in years. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the attendance (33K announced, with plenty of no-shows), but still.

Security line was long as always, but it seemed to move quicker than in years past. Bathroom and concession lines were not bad either. I think 33K is the perfect number of people for the park. There's enough people there to create a buzz, but not too many that you feel cramped.

Finally, I've got to say, they've really got the scoreboard situation figured out. Thinking back to the minor league operation they had going just three years ago, it is quite surprising.