2018 Workout Thread

Steve9347

Alright, starting this thread up for one specific reason.

I am obsessed with OrangeTheory Fitness. This is exactly what I've needed to get better, more varied workouts. Shut your brain off for an hour, do what you're told, burn 800-1,000 calories. This is my new therapy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 07:42 AM)

I am obsessed with OrangeTheory Fitness. This is exactly what I've needed to get better, more varied workouts. Shut your brain off for an hour, do what you're told, burn 800-1,000 calories. This is my new therapy.

I see a guy on FB posting about that a lot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 07:42 AM)

Yes, you've joined my cult. Its addictive as f***. I've been a member for going on 3 years. Its amazing. The endorphins keep me sane.

My goal from now until June 1 is single digit body fat. My trainer gave me a plan, lets see what happens

Edited by RockRaines

I’ve heard good things about OT...I just don’t like other people enough to workout in a group setting like that. Everyone is motivated by different things, however.

I’m still plugging away on the bike. Hoping to get back into some circuit training sometime soon. Also going to get into outdoor riding when things settle down around here.

Since someone revived this...

For the past week I seem to have bizarrely lost 10% of the strength in my right arm tricep. It doesn't hurt, I just all of a sudden in one arm can't lift as much as I previously could. I've dropped about 40 lb on bench and tricep overhead presses - like the difference between 200 and 160. I have no idea why. Bicep exercises are normal, it only hits me as weak on a select few exercises

Any guesses?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 10:02 AM)

For the past week I seem to have bizarrely lost 10% of the strength in my right arm tricep. It doesn't hurt, I just all of a sudden in one arm can't lift as much as I previously could. I've dropped about 40 lb on bench and tricep overhead presses - like the difference between 200 and 160. I have no idea why. Bicep exercises are normal, it only hits me as weak on a select few exercises

Any guesses?

My uneducated guess is a nerve issue. Have you been rolling and stretching? I get weakness like that in my left shoulder sometimes and it just need rest, stretching and back rolling.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 10:22 AM)
My uneducated guess is a nerve issue. Have you been rolling and stretching? I get weakness like that in my left shoulder sometimes and it just need rest, stretching and back rolling.

I don't know what is meant by rolling, but normal stretching routine hasn't changed anything.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:58 AM)
I’ve heard good things about OT...I just don’t like other people enough to workout in a group setting like that. Everyone is motivated by different things, however.

I’m still plugging away on the bike. Hoping to get back into some circuit training sometime soon. Also going to get into outdoor riding when things settle down around here.

My favorite is when the class is nearly empty, I try and avoid the completely full classes. Sometimes it does get a bit much, especially for someone like myself that gets after it and sweats like crazy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 10:27 AM)
I don't know what is meant by rolling, but normal stretching routine hasn't changed anything.

Foam rolling. Have you been introduced to that yet? Its life changing. My legs and back wouldnt be the same without it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:48 AM)
Yes, you've joined my cult. Its addictive as f***. I've been a member for going on 3 years. Its amazing. The endorphins keep me sane.

My goal from now until June 1 is single digit body fat. My trainer gave me a plan, lets see what happens

Awesome to hear. I can't believe how much I am enjoying it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:58 AM)

It's funny. There's a bunch of people there, but it feels like it's just you and the trainer. The room is darkened with an orange hue. The other people simply serve as motivation for me to keep going/push harder/go all out in a bit more impressive fashion.

Yeah, to each his/her own. I have definitely found something I'm enjoying!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:52 AM)
It's funny. There's a bunch of people there, but it feels like it's just you and the trainer. The room is darkened with an orange hue. The other people simply serve as motivation for me to keep going/push harder/go all out in a bit more impressive fashion.

Yeah, to each his/her own. I have definitely found something I'm enjoying!

The 3g's can get a little crowded, or the new years/ pre summer people. But as long as its not crazy packed I find you can get some room.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:52 PM)
There?€s an OrangeTheory right outside work. How much does that cost?

Depends on how many classes you want to do and what stage that particular studio is in. I was a pre-construction member so I pay 129/month (usually is 159) for unlimited classes and access to any club in the country (I go when I travel). Basic (4 per month) is 60 bucks, and I believe 8 is 100.

I would recommend for new people 2-3 classes per week at first.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:48 AM)

I've achieved this. It's funny how I hate wearing shirts all of a sudden. ;)

But I basically do the Rock's weight lifting routine (of course, in relation to my bodyweight, not his, so I'm not pressing 300+ pounds), and quite a bit of his diet plan. I cheat a bit more than he does, but still...it's worked. 6-7 days a week in the gym for the past year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:56 PM)
Depends on how many classes you want to do and what stage that particular studio is in. I was a pre-construction member so I pay 129/month (usually is 159) for unlimited classes and access to any club in the country (I go when I travel). Basic (4 per month) is 60 bucks, and I believe 8 is 100.

I would recommend for new people 2-3 classes per week at first.

Goddamn that's expensive. I pay like 40$ a month for my gym membership, but I'm not into taking classes or anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 10:02 AM)

Any guesses?

Could just be a minor strain, because that sounds like a minimal loss of power. If you lost half your strength or more and felt numb or tingly, I'd probably say it was nerve related (likely c6/c7 area of the neck), but I'm doubting it with that minimal of a strength loss. I'd try a different set of tricep workouts for a bit and see if it self-corrects, especially since it doesn't seem to be hurting you.

I also see a lot of people talking about foam rolling, but it does nothing for me. As a matter of fact, stretching does nothing for me, which is why I don't bother. Also, cold stretching and stretching during workouts has been proven to cause power loss, so I don't recommend that, either. Warm muscles are the only muscles that should be stretched, but again, I don't bother unless I feel specifically stiff for some reason, which is almost never.

Warm up, cardio, strength train, go home.

One of the best tricep workouts you can do is the supinated pulldown -- palms facing the ceiling on the cable machine, pull down, controlled negative. I do this with a cambered bar (the zigzag bar that looks like this \_/\_/), which makes the grip more natural.

Not that you asked, but my favorite tricep routine:

7 sets supinated 2 hand pulldowns on a cable machine (8-12 reps per set) and slowly ramp the weight up.

Yes, this is a VERY high volume routine, so be careful with it. Also of note, with this supinated grip, you won't be able to do nearly as much weight, but you'll likely feel it target the muscle much better. At least, it does for me, but not everybody is the same.

3 sets of skullcrushers (8-12 reps per set)

3 sets of dips with weighted chains to failure. I'll start with one chain over my shoulders, then add another on sets 2 and 3. Note that dips also target the lower chest as well as the triceps, (they mimic a decline bench press).

Some gyms don't have chains, so you could use a dip machine for added weight, instead. Of course, being that you're tricep isn't feeling all that great right now, you'll likely want to ease up on this for the time being until you can rebuild the strength in that arm. Just keep in mind it's not how much weight you lift, it's how well you lift it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)
Just do a few of these and you'll be good to go.

It's hard to tell what's going on here, but it's possible the person that recorded this accidently took that as a tricep exercise, when it's actually a legit back exercise (still not the best form, though). Unless, of course, that person doesn't know that what they're doing is a back exercise, and they think they're working triceps. ;)