4/3 Game Thread: Sox @ Blue Jays

Dunt

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 06:16 PM)
just stop. you're already in a hole. How many f***ing times did Aaron Judge strike out last year? 208. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT BASEBALL IS IN 2018?

Goodness. Nobody gives a f*** about strikeouts. Hit the ball hard and far and take walks. Yoan Moncada has a chance to be the best 2B in my lifetime, surpassing Durham. Let's just try and enjoy the ride the kid is 22.

Who cares what people give a f*** about? Strikeouts aren’t bad because people dislike them; they’re bad because they guarantee you’re not going to get on base. Duh.

Assume 700 PAs for Moncada. At his K rate, that’s 230 Ks. Assume 80 walks, leaving 620 ABs. I’ll give him 20 bombs and a .340 BABIP, that leaves him with 145 hits for a .235 BA. Do the OBP math and give him a .180 ISO, and he’s got an OPS of .740-ish (definitely not Cano, and not even Durham). And I was generous with BABIP- it just doesn’t take a demagogue to see him being a bust unless he cuts the Ks big time.

And don’t bring Aaron Judge into this. Dude hit 52 bombs last year. And plays for the Yankees. There’s a big reason he’s turned into some kind of icon.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:41 PM)
Who cares what people give a f*** about? Strikeouts aren’t bad because people dislike them; they’re bad because they guarantee you’re not going to get on base. Duh.

Assume 700 PAs for Moncada. At his K rate, that’s 230 Ks. Assume 80 walks, leaving 620 ABs. I’ll give him 20 bombs and a .340 BABIP, that leaves him with 145 hits for a .235 BA. Do the OBP math and give him a .180 ISO, and he’s got an OPS of .740-ish (definitely not Cano, and not even Durham). And I was generous with BABIP- it just doesn’t take a demagogue to see him being a bust unless he cuts the Ks big time.

And don’t bring Aaron Judge into this. Dude hit 52 bombs last year. And plays for the Yankees. There’s a big reason he’s turned into some kind of icon.

an ops of 740 from your age 22 2B, assuming solid baserunning and defense is like a 2-3 WAR season. If he can OPS 840, that's like a 4 WAR season. You can see why people are excited...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:39 PM)
Davidson with a hell of a game. 0-4, 2 K, 1 DP, & 5 LOB. And this isn’t just normal game thread b****ing, I simply don’t believe he magically became a good hitter overnight. One 3 HR isn’t going to change my opinion.

I'm completely with you. He's killed almost every rally tonight. He looks a little quicker to the ball but that's about it.

catch probability 41% on that engel drop so no, it really wasn't an extraordinary play. It wasn't routine. It was a play, as I said, that an "elite fielding", light hitting starting MLB CF needs to make more often than not. And credit Engel, he knows it, you could see it on his face.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:48 PM)
catch probability 41% on that engel drop so no, it really wasn't an extraordinary play. It wasn't routine. It was a play, as I said, that an "elite fielding", light hitting starting MLB CF needs to make more often than not. And credit Engel, he knows it, you could see it on his face.

Does catch probability on a fly ball take into account shifts/where the fielder starts at, or is it purely based on batted ball stats?