4/3 Game Thread: Sox @ Blue Jays

Dunt

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 06:43 PM)
an ops of 740 from your age 22 2B, assuming solid baserunning and defense is like a 2-3 WAR season. If he can OPS 840, that's like a 4 WAR season. You can see why people are excited...

And where did you get 100 extra OPS? Is he gonna hit 20 more home runs than I gave him? Remember, I was generous on his BABIP, so .740 is lucky. Not likely.

The only path to serious success lies in cutting down strikeouts. It seems like he strikes out looking a lot, so maybe that’s a positive sign, but if it doesn’t get better somehow, he’s not going to be worth what we gave up.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:51 PM)
I saw a picture of him from spring training workouts and dude is absolutely jacked.

After that homer, I'm not unconvinced Yolmer isn't actually the Hulk.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
And where did you get 100 extra OPS? Is he gonna hit 20 more home runs than I gave him? Remember, I was generous on his BABIP, so .740 is lucky. Not likely.

I still don't know why you think he's gonna be a worse hitter than he was last year

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:48 PM)
catch probability 41% on that engel drop so no, it really wasn't an extraordinary play. It wasn't routine. It was a play, as I said, that an "elite fielding", light hitting starting MLB CF needs to make more often than not. And credit Engel, he knows it, you could see it on his face.

You still on that? You said an MLB CF needs to make. Me, CWS and another guy said no (in fact that percentage actually proves our point that most CFs don't even get to that ball). You're wrong, it's not a big deal.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:53 PM)
You still on that? You said an MLB CF needs to make. Me, CWS and another guy said no (in fact that percentage actually proves our point that most CFs don't even get to that ball). You're wrong, it happens.

No, I said that an ELITE defensive, light hitting starting CF needs to make that play more.often.than.not. And I was right. I've watched a lot of f***ing baseball, more than Jason (played more too), my reaction was 100% to Jason, who was blabbing on and on about how hardly any other ML CF get to that ball.

Engel overran the damn thing in the end.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The only path to serious success lies in cutting down strikeouts. It seems like he strikes out looking a lot, so maybe that’s a positive sign, but if it doesn’t get better somehow, he’s not going to be worth what we gave up.

Why would a .740 OPS be unlikely or lucky if it’s worse than what he did last year?

Better somehow? He’s 22 years old and has one of the loudest set of tools in Major League Baseball. He’ll most definitely get better, the only question is how much. It almost seems like you’ve never this guy actually play.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 06:52 PM)
I still don't know why you think he's gonna be a worse hitter than he was last year

I dunno, man. Math is math. However, I did short him about 10 walks. Maybe that does it.

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:05 PM)
this pitching staff is a great way to ruin team chemistry, literally 2 guys responsible for this L lol.

The more often they go to the bullpen, the more often the lesser quality pitchers come into the game. The starters need to go deeper into games as the season progresses.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:03 PM)
Not to mention Moncada is already one of the best defensive 2B in the game. A .750 OPS to go with that is a very valuable player- and that number will most likely go up throughout his career

Moncada’s floor is probably a 2.5 WAR player. That would be with basically no improvement. His ceiling is a 6 to 7 WAR player. If I had to guess, I’d wager he ends up much closer to his ceiling than floor. It will take time though.