FS: Major changes to minor league rules in 2018

NorthSideSox72

6 mound visits has struck me as artificially low.

I was on Manfred's side when he framed his goal as to reduce the amount of downtime during a game. But the crusade to shorten up extra inning games especially with something so illogical (baserunner just appearing on 2nd) has really annoyed me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:38 AM)
6 mound visits has struck me as artificially low.

I was on Manfred's side when he framed his goal as to reduce the amount of downtime during a game. But the crusade to shorten up extra inning games especially with something so illogical (baserunner just appearing on 2nd) has really annoyed me.

I wonder how that would be scored. I figure it would have to be an unearned run since it isn't the pitcher's fault he is on base in the first place.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:37 AM)
Baserunners to start extra innings is the worst thing I've heard in a long time. Settling it with a game of dice in one of the dugouts would be preferable to that garbage.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

These ideas suck

They should just create a rule that says a pitcher can't leave the mound and a hitter can't leave the batter's box and in the event of an out the ball has to be immediately returned to the pitcher. No more throwing the ball around the diamond or the pitcher taking a stroll around the mound while a hitter gingerly strolls to the plate. Also no more timeouts.

Other crazy ideas:

Expand the strike zone to allow for higher strikes.

Create an automated ball delivery system that pops balls out automatically to the pitcher after each throw(like an automated tee at the driving range). The catcher would just throw the ball away without getting up or having to throw it back. You can have ball boys collecting balls and add them back to the automated delivery system. This way if a pitcher really wants to push the pace they can throw a pitch and the second the pitch is delivered step on a push button to receive a new ball from a launcher on the mound. You can also use it to get rid of balls faster when the bases are empty. If the bases are empty and outfielder catches a ball he can just throw it into the stands while the pitcher is already getting set for the next pitch.

Change the replay rules where there must be a coach's challenge to initiate a replay review and if if the challenger loses the team is charged an additional out.

If all else fails create financial incentives to speed the game up. Bonuses for teams with shorter games, create a bonus pool that's distributed to players that incur the least amount of "dead" ball time.