Daryl Boston/Josh Donaldson whistle

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:52 AM)
I guess the Sox were laughing about it according to Fegan's postgamer. Watching live I thought it was a pretty redass move from Donaldson considering it was a 340 ft flyball hit into the right spot. I had no idea Boston was whistling for nice defense. I'd be a bit annoyed as well.

You know, I heard a loud whistle for 2-3 seconds after Yolmer's nice play late in the game, and I just figured it was a moronic fan blowing a whistle. Evidently it's Boston, something I never knew.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:56 AM)
You know, I heard a loud whistle for 2-3 seconds after Yolmer's nice play late in the game, and I just figured it was a moronic fan blowing a whistle. Evidently it's Boston, something I never knew.

I thought I heard a whistle a few times during the game and thought the same thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:22 PM)
Donaldson is just petty as hell. Act like you have been there before, and not hitting a meaningless wall scraper in the third game of the season.

Eh, the inning before that TA and Moncada made a great turn and pimped it hard on the way off, with ReyLo giving TA a huge high five. I like the emotion on both sides and don't really have too much of a problem with it -- if any -- given what we learned about Boston's whistle and what Donaldson was responding to.

Donaldson is a jerk but in this case I don't mind it.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 12:24 PM)
Eh, the inning before that TA and Moncada made a great turn and pimped it hard on the way off, with ReyLo giving TA a huge high five. I like the emotion on both sides and don't really have too much of a problem with it -- if any -- given what we learned about Boston's whistle and what Donaldson was responding to.

Donaldson is a jerk but in this case I don't mind it.

The line crossed is when you go from your own celebration, to actually going after the other team. Not only did he mimic the celebration, but he made sure he directed it into the White Sox dugout. That is petty AF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:26 PM)
The line crossed is when you go from your own celebration, to actually going after the other team. Not only did he mimic the celebration, but he made sure he directed it into the White Sox dugout. That is petty AF.

I mean the line is crossed when your 60 year old bench coach is using a whistle as the guy comes to bat...the Sox instigated this here and from all parties involved it seems no harm no foul.

That bat drop was bush. The thing after he crossed the plate was bush.

What would have been funny and acceptable would be if he looked at Boston before he got to first and whistled and just kept it between the two of them.

But if he wants to sign with the Sox, I’m cool with him!

I think this stuff makes baseball fun, and its not like anyone threw a cleat up or hit somebody in the head.

Applause all around. Though whistling is annoying so Boston should try maybe clapping like a normal person.

It should be noted that Boston uses the whistle primarily to align the defense, he's somehow incapable of whistling with his mouth so he uses a ref's whistle to get their attention. The whistling for good defensive plays is secondary.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 12:29 PM)
I mean the line is crossed when your 60 year old bench coach is using a whistle as the guy comes to bat...the Sox instigated this here and from all parties involved it seems no harm no foul.

as long as he isnt blowing the whistle while Donaldson is swinging/in the box, i really dont know why it bothers him so much. If it was while he was walking up, i dont see why he cares so much

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 02:02 PM)
I think for the purposes of replacing a typical "whistle" great, however, I kind of don't like it when used during the game and in advance of at bats. Maybe it was all in good fun, I just don't know, but I think Boston should be careful.

Donaldson doesn't really do "fun" so yeah, Boston shouldn't be pulling that s***, no reason to provide extra motivation to one of the best hitters in the game.

Jon Morosi?Verified account @jonmorosi 16m16 minutes ago Good news: Daryl Boston’s dugout whistle is legal by @MLB rules, and the league won’t ask him to change unless the whistle becomes a source of tension between clubs. Last night, it created a genuinely funny moment between competitors. And so it stays. @MLBNetwork