1st Homestand weather

Jack Parkman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 08:56 AM)
Is there any way to make the first month’s games in southern areas and domes? Or does it just become completely unfair after a week or two

I don't think it's unfair, I think the southern/dome teams want summer baseball games when the kids are out of school like all teams do. Attendance will be better in summer regardless of climate. Losing 15 or so June/July games to have extra April games is probably bad for business.

I'm sure there are a million other scheduling reasons why it would be hard too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:25 AM)
Oh millionaire athlete's can't handle working more, cry me a river greedy bastards...

[see how absurd that sounds]

No it isn't absurd. Organized labor has been under attack since it formed, and collective bargaining is not done in good faith anymore. You are not your job. Your ability to provide for yourself and your family should not be compromised because your boss wants to put you in an unsafe work environment. Your job=/=your life and self worth. I know we have differences politically but geez man, quit defending people hoarding money. If you're not a multimillionaire your arguments are counterproductive to your own self interest.

If you were offered a job and were told it was going to pay extremely well, well enough that if you worked there for 5 years you would be independently wealthy. but when you got there you found out you were being exposed to chemicals that could have devastating neurological effects on your body. If you worked there for 10 years, you would make a ton of money but you lose the use of your dominant arm. You might have to have surgery to keep working, and you may or may not still get paid during your recovery. This is the real life analogy to being a pitcher.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I get teams don't want all their home games in April, but I would think the weather has a much better chance of being better the second half of the month. Make the first 2 weeks of April played in domes and warmer weather spots, the second 2 weeks in the colder places. It won't always work, but at least there is a better shot.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:47 AM)
No it isn't absurd. Organized labor has been under attack since it formed, and collective bargaining is not done in good faith anymore. You are not your job. Your ability to provide for yourself and your family should not be compromised because your boss wants to put you in an unsafe work environment. Your job=/=your life and self worth. I know we have differences politically but geez man, quit defending people hoarding money. If you're not a multimillionaire your arguments are counterproductive to your own self interest.

None of that is applicable here, but hey, rant on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:54 AM)
None of that is applicable here, but hey, rant on.

Quit deflecting. You and I know that was a jab at labor unions. Those who have plenty and want more are greedy. Those who have less and want more are fighting for the right to be comfortable or exist in some cases.

Read my addendum to the quoted post.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Starting the season with a 4-city trip every year will never happen. Teams won’t go for it.

Imagine starting 4-8 on the road before the home opener...not happening.

This is just an unfortunate year. Nothing more, nothing less.

If your team blames losses on road games, you aren't a contender. When teams build new stadiums, they start the season on the road to give the workers more time. I think the Sox opener when they opened the new park was April 18th or something.

The Cubs are playing 3 road series to start this season on the road because of work being done. They won't complain, and people actually go to their games when it's 35 degrees. It's one less long road trip to make during the season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:00 AM)
If your team blames losses on road games, you aren't a contender. When teams build new stadiums, they start the season on the road to give the workers more time. I think the Sox opener when they opened the new park was April 18th or something.

The Cubs are playing 3 road series to start this season on the road because of work being done. They won't complain, and people actually go to their games when it's 35 degrees. It's one less long road trip to make during the season.

You can say whatever you want, the fact is teams would never sign off on a yearly 4-city to start the season and you know it.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Quit deflecting. You and I know that was a jab at labor unions. Those who have plenty and want more are greedy. Those who have less and want more are fighting for the right to be comfortable or exist in some cases.

Read my addendum to the quoted post.

It was a jab at defending millionaires at the expense of billionaires and not realizing the irony there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)
It was a jab at defending millionaires at the expense of billionaires and not realizing the irony there.

No irony. I do think it is sad that the most powerful and well run unions are for millionaires though. From my point of view it is still an organized labor vs management argument, no matter how much money the labor is getting paid.

Until I framed it in that way, I used to side with ownership in pro sports labor negotiations too.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)
I would bet plenty would.

Plenty isn’t 15–and then you need the other 15 to go on a two week trip for weeks 3 and 4,

which they don’t want to do.

And by the way, the Cubs have a 3-city trip now, but where does it end? 90 miles up 94. They had an off day in Chicago during this.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:24 AM)
Well this thread has gone off the rails so I figure I'll inject my two cents: the weather pattern you are seeing in the midwest and east coast is associated with a warmer arctic. Which is associated with climate change. Get used to late springs and blistering summers.

To go on a more scientific level, the jet stream pressure gradient has been weakened because of the warmer arctic, so it allows more extreme swings throughout the year. Polar Vortex events happen because of this weakening of the jet stream. They can occur at any time of year. Get used to the occasional 40s in May and 50s in June as well. Also, here in North America, gulf moisture can push in the other direction just as easily, causing heat waves throughout the year. Hence, my argument for retractable roofs. It is necessary to combat the effects of climate change. Gulf moisture is more likely to dominate in summer, and polar vortex in winter. Spring and fall are a crapshoot.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
No irony. I do think it is sad that the most powerful and well run unions are for millionaires though. From my point of view it is still an organized labor vs management argument, no matter how much money the labor is getting paid.

Until I framed it in that way, I used to side with ownership in pro sports labor negotiations too.

Full of irony. I am not interested in unfunded mandates in a situation that benefits a very few people with next to zero public good that would come from the silliness of requirement stadiums to have retractable domes. It is a giant waste of money for a situation that only comes up rarely, for the benefit of what, 40,000 people to be warm at a sporting event?

Pass.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Starting the season with a 4-city trip every year will never happen. Teams won’t go for it.

Imagine starting 4-8 on the road before the home opener...not happening.

This is just an unfortunate year. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reason this wont happen is not because of the potential visiting northern teams. They'd all be for it. Playing on the road isn't that hard where you would normally only win 4 of 12 games.

What would stop it is the dome and southern teams. As much as it's more playable in their ballparks. They all sell tickets better in the summer and they simply won't give up their summer dates to accommodate northern teams in March or April.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
To go on a more scientific level, the jet stream pressure gradient has been weakened because of the warmer arctic, so it allows more extreme swings throughout the year. Polar Vortex events happen because of this weakening of the jet stream. They can occur at any time of year. Get used to the occasional 40s in May and 50s in June as well. Also, here in North America, gulf moisture can push in the other direction just as easily, causing heat waves throughout the year. Hence, my argument for retractable roofs. It is necessary to combat the effects of climate change. Gulf moisture is more likely to dominate in summer, and polar vortex in winter. Spring and fall are a crapshoot.

You want to force mandatory retractable roofs on all teams so people can be comfortable watching baseball games in April. If the weather is too much to deal with, simply watch the game on TV. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to retrofit a retractable roof on an existing stadium? And who the hell is paying for this exactly?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:50 PM)
It'd be real neat if they could make a call weather wise before 3pm Thursday this year. But I fully expect them to cancel it around 330p tomorrow after they get a few hours of beer sales in.

That was such bulls*** last year, but I’m more optimistic they’ll have to call this one early. Last I saw it was supposed to snow right around game time, so hopefully they can’t dick us around again. I’m not heading down there until I’m certain a game is being played so that way I can the time off for Friday if need be.