1st Homestand weather

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:58 PM)
That was such bulls*** last year, but I’m more optimistic they’ll have to call this one early. Last I saw it was supposed to snow right around game time, so hopefully they can’t dick us around again. I’m not heading down there until I’m certain a game is being played so that way I can the time off for Friday if need be.

I'm hoping the bad press they got from last year's clown show is enough for them to make a smarter decision about tomorrow. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would prefer postponing their day off or half day to Friday (I know I would) anyway.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they get bad press?

If this site didn't exist I'm not sure I would have known how pissed others were.

Driving the stupid trucks onto the field and doing opening ceremonies and then delaying the game when it could be played for 2 hours and then canceling when freezing rain downpoured on everyone was without a doubt the worst white sox experience I've ever had.

QUOTE (Sarava @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:51 AM)
The reason this wont happen is not because of the potential visiting northern teams. They'd all be for it. Playing on the road isn't that hard where you would normally only win 4 of 12 games.

What would stop it is the dome and southern teams. As much as it's more playable in their ballparks. They all sell tickets better in the summer and they simply won't give up their summer dates to accommodate northern teams in March or April.

One thing they could do is forget the game vs. Charlotte on Monday before the season starts. If the last spring training game is on Sunday, Sunday night, fly the team to Chicago. Let them all get situated and fly to the next city Wednesday night. Hold a workout if you can on Monday and/or Tuesday at your home park.

This year, they went to Charlotte, then went to KC on Monday night and stayed there a week. Even if they played the first 4 series on the road, it would only be another 3 days or so of hotels.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:08 PM)
Did they get bad press?

If this site didn't exist I'm not sure I would have known how pissed others were.

Driving the stupid trucks onto the field and doing opening ceremonies and then delaying the game when it could be played for 2 hours and then canceling when freezing rain downpoured on everyone was without a doubt the worst white sox experience I've ever had.

I think bad press was the wrong choice of words. I'm not sure anyone outside of Sox fans talked about it at all. All I really meant was that the people I know who were at the game, and the people on this message board were in agreement that everything about how last year was handled was terrible. As someone else said, I'm not stepping foot into the ballpark tomorrow until I know there will be at least an attempt at baseball being played.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)
I think bad press was the wrong choice of words. I'm not sure anyone outside of Sox fans talked about it at all. All I really meant was that the people I know who were at the game, and the people on this message board were in agreement that everything about how last year was handled was terrible. As someone else said, I'm not stepping foot into the ballpark tomorrow until I know there will be at least an attempt at baseball being played.

Yeah I doubt they give 2 s***s, they got to double dip concession sales so it was a win for them. I have 0 faith in them doing right by the fans so if you plan on not going unless there is a definitive 'yes' then I'd probably say you're not going.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)

I doubt they change their ways. They have been doing the same thing for years. I once sat through a "rain delay" for 2 1/2 hours, when it didn't rain at all. There would have been no problem getting an official game in. Then it rained and they called it 5 minutes after it started raining.

It's one reason I will never sit through rain delays anymore. I go to enough games I don't need that crap. If the tarp goes on, I'm bailing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:23 PM)
Yeah I doubt they give 2 s***s, they got to double dip concession sales so it was a win for them. I have 0 faith in them doing right by the fans so if you plan on not going unless there is a definitive 'yes' then I'd probably say you're not going.

I'm still going, I'll just wait out the rain delay at work in the loop. I'm likely to miss the opening ceremonies, but that's ok.

Also, I'm not sure that they really did all that well on the double dipping of concessions last year. I went both days. The game was called around 3:30 on opening day and there was nobody there the second day when the game was actually played.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:55 PM)
You want to force mandatory retractable roofs on all teams so people can be comfortable watching baseball games in April. If the weather is too much to deal with, simply watch the game on TV. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to retrofit a retractable roof on an existing stadium? And who the hell is paying for this exactly?

No, it goes to more than that. It completely eliminates weather related delays other than the rare case of a tornado warning. Also, the on field product is better because the players are also more comfortable. I don't think it is realistic to do this anymore, because of all of the new stadiums that have been built in the last 25 years. Furthermore, there are multiple uncomfortably hot days in the dead of summer. When this generation of stadiums start to be replaced, it should be mandatory. A forward thinking commissioner would have had them be mandatory in 1988 when the Canadians engineered the first one. I wish they could be retrofitted but it is pretty much implausible with most of the open air stadiums.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm hoping the bad press they got from last year's clown show is enough for them to make a smarter decision about tomorrow. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would prefer postponing their day off or half day to Friday (I know I would) anyway.

Exactly, if you already have the Friday open, be proactive and do the fans a favor. A lot of people are spending a premium to be there opening day, at least let them plan accordingly and not waste their limited time off.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 02:01 PM)
No, it goes to more than that. It completely eliminates weather related delays other than the rare case of a tornado warning. Also, the on field product is better because the players are also more comfortable. I don't think it is realistic to do this anymore, because of all of the new stadiums that have been built in the last 25 years. Furthermore, there are multiple uncomfortably hot days in the dead of summer. When this generation of stadiums start to be replaced, it should be mandatory. A forward thinking commissioner would have had them be mandatory in 1988 when the Canadians engineered the first one.

Come on man, stop acting like the commissioner in 1988 should have predicted global warming and made it a rule that retractable domes are mandatory. They were costly and unweildy and imperfect back then, and every dome was outfitted with awful astroturf.

I get it that early spring weather is annoying, but get over it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:08 PM)
Did they get bad press?

100% agree. I’ve attended several hundred Sox games in my life and I’ve never experienced a s***-show like that. It makes me very nervous about attending future opening days.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 02:04 PM)
Come on man, stop acting like the commissioner in 1988 should have predicted global warming and made it a rule that retractable domes are mandatory. They were costly and unweildy and imperfect back then, and every dome was outfitted with awful astroturf.

I get it that early spring weather is annoying, but get over it.

How many times do I have to say it isn't just early spring weather that is annoying. I find midsummer equally annoying. If you have read the Filibuster and Slam you'd know that I am autistic, and am hypersensitive to heat. I can't touch a hot plate out of the microwave or drink hot coffee. I have to eat my food slightly above room temperature, otherwise I burn myself. I went to a game where at 10 PM it hadn't got below 90 degrees last year and it was absolutely miserable, despite having a good shady seat. I'd rather sit in the cold and bundle up than go on a 90+ degree day or evening. This would solve that problem too. I love baseball and go to 5-10 games a year, but most are in May, early June, late August and early September because that is most comfortable for me. Some people hate 85+ degree F weather and I am one of them. If I could afford to live in San Diego it would be the easiest no brainer ever. There has to be other people who hate hot weather too, right?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
How many times do I have to say it isn't just early spring weather that is annoying. I find midsummer equally annoying. If you have read the Filibuster and Slam you'd know that I am autistic, and am hypersensitive to heat. I can't touch a hot plate out of the microwave or drink hot coffee. I have to eat my food slightly above room temperature, otherwise I burn myself. I went to a game where at 10 PM it hadn't got below 90 degrees last year and it was absolutely miserable, despite having a good shady seat. I'd rather sit in the cold and bundle up than go on a 90+ degree day or evening. This would solve that problem too. I love baseball and go to 5-10 games a year, but most are in May, early June, late August and early September because that is most comfortable for me. Some people hate 85+ degree F weather and I am one of them. If I could afford to live in San Diego it would be the easiest no brainer ever. There has to be other people who hate hot weather too, right?

At 10 PM, isn't every seat in the shade?

In all the years of playing baseball, I would take the hot weather as an athlete over cold weather. Hitting sucks, you cant grip the ball properly in the cold. You don't move the same. In 90 degree weather I just kept hydrated and made sure I didn't get sunburned and I was fine. Anyone who has suffered through late winter/early spring midwest high school and college baseball can attest on how pre-middle of April weather just sucks. I was at opening day a few years back and it was snowing. That's just stupid non-baseball weather.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)

Hey that's great. We all have things we like and don't like. But none of us are demanding a policy that would cost an addition billion dollars per ballpark to implement.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 02:39 PM)
I’m ok with blowing up Wrigley field for any reason to be honest, just don’t want Chicago to fund the bill ;)

As long as Ricketts and Rahm are in office, there will be nothing for the Cubs from the City of Chicago.