1st Homestand weather

Jack Parkman

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:13 PM)
Geez, you missed the point. Between 7 and 8, yeah you need shade. My point 2as that when we left the game at 10:15 it was 91 degrees F. It sucked. Was 99 at 7pm when the game started. That was my point.

So do you think in the middle of the summer on a (presumably) clear 90+ degree evening in Chicago, it they had a retractable roof they would have it closed?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:15 PM)
So do you think in the middle of the summer on a (presumably) clear 90+ degree evening in Chicago, it they had a retractable roof they would have it closed?

Yes. They should. Too damn hot. Why do you think they have one in Phoenix?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:16 PM)
Yes. They should. Too damn hot.

I get where you're coming from and I understand that you're hypersensitive to heat. But I really don't see any team closing their retractable roof if it's 90 and sunny.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)
I get where you're coming from and I understand that you're hypersensitive to heat. But I really don't see any team closing their retractable roof if it's 90 and sunny.

Depends on the dew point. Above 70, give me air con.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)

Explain to me why Chase field has one then? Monsoon season?

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:21 PM)
Want to make another point clear, that someone seems to be missed.....it's your choice to go to these games. Unless you are under some sort of weird "Stadium Arrest" type situation, if the weather isn't to your liking....you don't have to attend the game.

Well of course. People would be more likely to attend if it is comfortable to do so though. I think there would be higher attendance year round if they all had retractable roofs. More butts in seats= more cash for ownership. Reason enough to do it. People would get used to it after awhile.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Explain to me why Chase field has one then? Monsoon season?

Chase Field experiences heat up to 120 degrees in the summer, and iirc they close the roof prior to night games and then open it up at night. Not even close to the same thing as a 90 degree summer night

And no way in hell they(Chicago) would close the roof on a clear summer night

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:26 PM)
Chase Field experiences heat up to 120 degrees in the summer, and iirc they close the roof prior to night games and then open it up at night. Not even close to the same thing as a 90 degree summer night

And no way in hell they(Chicago) would close the roof on a clear summer night

It is more comfortable at night in AZ even when 90 because it is super dry. When it is 100 and humid it feels like 120. Ever heard of the heat index?

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 04:29 PM)
So the roof is being paid by...

The billionaire owners + league silly. They for sure would agree to each non-dome cold weather team spending hundreds of millions of dollars a piece to magically retrofit stadiums with massive domes vs. pushing the league start date back 1 week or having no cold weather home teams

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:42 PM)
The billionaire owners + league silly. They for sure would agree to each non-dome cold weather team spending hundreds of millions of dollars a piece to magically retrofit stadiums with massive domes vs. pushing the league start date back 1 week or having no cold weather home teams

When they see early season attendance go up significantly because fans are comfortable and the players aren't freezing and playing better, they would find it worth it. Teams could double their early season attendance at places like Cleveland Minnesota and the south side of Chicago. It could go from 8-10 k to 20-25k.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:46 PM)
When they see early season attendance go up significantly because fans are comfortable and the players aren't freezing and playing better, they would find it worth it. Teams could double their early season attendance at places like Cleveland Minnesota and the south side of Chicago. It could go from 8-10 k to 20-25k.

What would help attendance more than a dome: Not having a s***ty team for 10+ years.

Attendance is going to be s*** if the product is also s***.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:56 PM)
What would help attendance more than a dome: Not having a s***ty team for 10+ years.

Attendance is going to be s*** if the product is also s***.

Ever think that the cold weather contributes significantly to the product being s***?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:46 PM)

I'd like to see proof that Dome vs not Dome makes a difference. The Twins had some of the worst attendance in baseball in their dome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 06:01 PM)
I'd like to see proof that Dome vs not Dome makes a difference. The Twins had some of the worst attendance in baseball in their dome.

Check Miller park vs the other upper midwest teams and you'll get your answer. Also check in seasons when the team is bad and when they're good. Nothing changes the fact that the Metrodome was a dump.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:58 PM)
Ever think that the cold weather contributes significantly to the product being s***?

Yeah Boston/Cubs/Yankees/KC sure have been terrible the last 10 years, wouldn't wish being a fan of those teams on my worst enemy.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 06:04 PM)
Check Miller park vs the other upper midwest teams and you'll get your answer. Also check in seasons when the team is bad and when they're good. Nothing changes the fact that the Metrodome was a dump.

Their attendance looks remarkably like any other team in the midwest. Low attendance before school gets out and higher after it. I see weekday games as low at 12 and 13 thousand during April at Miller park.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MI...le-scores.shtml

Looking at the Twins in their outdoor stadium, their attendance during the same time period of April games is remarkably the same.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MI...le-scores.shtml

If you have a study or actual proof of some sort, I would love to see it.,

I’m sure a dome would help improve attendance in April to some extent, but the question is how much. People still have kids in school and you still have to deal with the s***ty cold/wet weather getting to & from the game. It would be very unlikely that any benefit would offset the massive cost IMO and it most definitely would not if were a retrofit.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 06:35 PM)
I’m sure a dome would help improve attendance in April to some extent, but the question is how much. People still have kids in school and you still have to deal with the s***ty cold/wet weather getting to & from the game. It would be very unlikely that any benefit would offset the massive cost IMO and it most definitely would not if were a retrofit.

I'm not advocating retro fits, I'm advocating that the next generation of stadiums have retractable roofs. From this point forward it should be non-negotiable.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm not advocating retro fits, I'm advocating that the next generation of stadiums have retractable roofs. From this point forward it should be non-negotiable.

I just don’t think it should be non-negotiable. Let teams do their own cost-benefit analysis and make the decision.