1st Homestand weather

Jack Parkman

Just watched another forecast saying snow falling around 4-5pm, with a possible inch accumulation. If that happened, they’d probably be better off waiting until Friday at 1, even though it will be colder. At least it’ll be dry.

Twins start a 10 game homestand, and they’re screwed. I could see the Mariners having to come back on off days. Then the Astros on Mon-Wed. Sox will be there next Thurs-Sun. Should be 50 by Saturday. Woo.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:42 PM)
The billionaire owners + league silly. They for sure would agree to each non-dome cold weather team spending hundreds of millions of dollars a piece to magically retrofit stadiums with massive domes vs. pushing the league start date back 1 week or having no cold weather home teams

What a silly proposal. Not worth discussing.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:48 AM)
Just make it 30 and be done with it

The end of rosters are bad enough now. Imagine how bad the 30th players would be. It would really decrease the quality of play.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm not advocating retro fits, I'm advocating that the next generation of stadiums have retractable roofs. From this point forward it should be non-negotiable.

The only benefit would be that the teams would actually play the games now. By having games postponed, they are essentially creating the double-headers others want. A few thousand more people in the stands isn't worth the cost of a dome.

Just play the games later in the year, if the weather is bad.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:52 AM)
The end of rosters are bad enough now. Imagine how bad the 30th players would be. It would really decrease the quality of play.

I'd really like expanded rosters since I miss the days where benches were 5 deep and there was more bench usage (mostly pinch-running). It would allow teams to keep more platoon type bench bats (Steven Pearces of the world) and play the matchups late in the game. Unfortunately, I just know teams would go over 10 deep in the bullpen if teams were expanded that much (maybe set a limit of how many can be in the pen?).

Edited by soxfan2014

How about the first two weeks ( 2 series home and 2 away) of the regular season are played in the spring training sites. Each team will loose gate money for two series since spring sites are smaller than MLB sites. Require new stadiums to have retractable domes.

I saw a piece yesterday where Tampa Bay, (probably the worst franchise in baseball) projects their new stadium if built will cost $800 Million of which the rays will contribute $150 MIL. It would have a retractable roof ( but only 15,000 seats since they will never draw more than that)........................................................just kidding.

Although I agree that I don't like the season starting early as it did this year, this year is also a freak occurrence. Our average high nowadays is supposed to be about 55. Now by no means is that "baseball" weather, however having temperatures TWENTY degrees below average for a two week period doesn't generally happen. It sucks, but can't really do much about it.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 04:05 PM)
Although I agree that I don't like the season starting early as it did this year, this year is also a freak occurrence. Our average high nowadays is supposed to be about 55. Now by no means is that "baseball" weather, however having temperatures TWENTY degrees below average for a two week period doesn't generally happen. It sucks, but can't really do much about it.

21F at 546 am Sat. I don't think so--

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 11:20 PM)
The Cubs are playing a night game on Monday...interesting, guess they're more concerned with attendance/concession revenues.

They play at 2:20, and it was originally 3:20

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 10:20 AM)
They play at 2:20, and it was originally 3:20

Originally 1:20

Friday and Saturday look bad in Minnesota. Rain Friday, cold Saturday. Luckily, they’ll have opportunities to make them up. Maybe the Sox should have thought of that with the Tigers series.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 09:38 AM)
Originally 1:20

Friday and Saturday look bad in Minnesota. Rain Friday, cold Saturday. Luckily, they’ll have opportunities to make them up. Maybe the Sox should have thought of that with the Tigers series.

Agreed. This is nuts to try to play in this for 2,000 fans who actually show up. It probably costs the Sox money to play in this garbage instead of postponing.