The Jason Benetti and Sox Announcing Thread

chitownsportsfan

Flavum's post on the game thread reminded me I wanted to start this thread and get opinions. Most of you know my opinion but I'll try and give an objective review of Jason so far.

Positives:

--has a good rapport with Stone.

--saber friendly

--general good disposition makes the losses not sound like a funeral

--does good research on opposition players and sox players, knows his rosters

Neither good nor bad:

--actual play by play is hit or miss, sometimes he nails it, other times he flubs it. better than failing eyesight hawk here however.

--isn't afraid to ask questions

Negatives:

--has not played (understandably) or watched enough baseball to have a good understanding of the nuances

--makes too many jokes in close games and is frequently talking about everything but the game

--defers to Stone too easily at times.

Overall, imo, Jason is just mediocre. As a Hawk replacement he's fine. Long term? Meh. My personal opinion is that Stone and Jason should both be on the chopping block long term. Jason has been able to breathe some new life into Stone but at times they bring out the worst in each other as well. In a different way than Hawk did, but still it leads to too much talking about anything but the game.

I think Jason should be given this season to tighten up his play by play and then the Sox should re-evalute but it seems like the think he's the long term answer. Personally I'd love for them to steal someone like Aaron Goldsmith from the Mariners.

I think Aaron is a rich man's Benetti in many ways. He didn't play much baseball but he has a much better understanding of how to call a game naturally.

Anyways, hope to have some good discussion about Jason this year.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mediocre is a good way to describe it. I just get no excitement or joy out of the game with him. Their banter between pitches is better than what Hawk and Stone had, but there is no level of excitement from the game itself. There are no highs. Honestly they sounds like every other cookie cutter broadcast around the nation.

Personally, this is the job I think AJ was made for.

I just think- less is more. He talks too much...they talk too much.

Call the game, make some good baseball points, make jokes when they’re actually funny, and stay out of my way of actually just watching and enjoying the game.

He’s a mosquito buzzing around my ear for 3 hours.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:06 PM)
I just think- less is more. He talks too much...they talk too much.

Call the game, make some good baseball points, make jokes when they?€re actually funny, and stay out of my way of actually just watching and enjoying the game.

He?€s a mosquito buzzing around my ear for 3 hours.

Don't think an announcer can really do this. Plus, if announcers bother you that badly, there's thing on remotes that allows you to turn down the volume.

Edited by soxfan2014

Personally I like Jason quite a bit. I think his personality and humor plays to a younger demographic and I can appreciate it. I do agree that the calls and bigger plays leave a lot to be desired but I think that will come with time. I also love the fact that he is clued into the saber and advanced metrics.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:09 PM)
I don't get how someone could listen to the TV/radio broadcasts of the last decade+ and think the answer is to hire yet another former player who's not a trained broadcaster.

I don't get how anyone could listen to what we have now and think this IS the answer.

I think he's fine, but for some reason, he and Steve seem to think they are at Zanies doing 3 hours of stand up. Not everything has to be a clever joke. If they cut out the bit about trying to be cleverly hysterical all the time, they could be funny and provide quality game content.

The current style doesn't bother me so much I can't listen, but it seems obvious it is 2 guys trying too hard to be funny for 3 hours straight. Just call the game and let the humor happen. Don't force it.

I don’t want to be a 100 percent against him either. He actually has made me laugh, but he misses way more than he hits. He has great pipes for broadcasting without being a cartoon character. He’s very smart. He just needs to dial it back. Let the game breathe instead of wall-to-wall talking.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
I don?€t want to be a 100 percent against him either. He actually has made me laugh, but he misses way more than he hits. He has great pipes for broadcasting without being a cartoon character. He?€s very smart. He just needs to dial it back. Let the game breathe instead of wall-to-wall talking.

He's like that friend or relative at a party that has to try to be the funniest person there all the time. If they didn't try so hard, they would be hysterical, but since they have to have some funny quip about everything, it just makes you groan and roll your eyes.

As for some of the other stuff some said, yeah he isn't an ex player, but he appears to know plenty. Seems well prepared, and IMO can be excellent. Just stop trying so hard to have everything that comes out of your mouth funny.

Edited by Dick Allen

You said it all late in your post. He calls the game "naturally" with Stone. I can actually watch multi innings with these guys unlike the Royals. If for some reason I tune into a game I must immediately turn it off on the TV side because of the game show host type voices of announcers.

Stone and Benetti are having a conversation (just like Hawk and Stone BTW; Chicago has done a nice job of finding real people to announce, not nasal game show hosts/homers).

By homer, I don't mean rooting for the ball to go over the fence or making no pretense you want the Sox to win.

By homer I mean the Royals radio guys gushing about the next great homestand and Minnesota coming in (they come in 10 times, my gosh) and Cleveland coming in, selling tickets. And the radio guys gushing about the WS titles, I guess the term is they are obnoxious salesmen more than "homers." I can't take the selljob and must turn it off unless veteran Denny Matthews is making the call.

My point is ... Benetti is great. Normal voice. Knows the team. Knows the organization. Has great rapport with the color man. Does not do the "fake voice/game show voice thing" and is a homer in that he wants the team to win and all that but not a homer salesperson telling us how great everything is in Soxdom at all times.

Stone is a god, small g.

How can anybody not love the broadcast team? Have u ever heard Steve Physioc of the Royals? Fake voice. Royals can do no wrong. Royals are great. The groundskeeper is great. The scoreboard is great. KC is down 7-1 but a great homestand is coming up.

GIVE ME BENETTI AND STONE any day of any week. Or Hawk if he wants to come back. Benetti is so thorough he should read this board. If he does, let me say: Keep on keeping on, sir. You are a very good announcer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:17 PM)
I think he's fine, but for some reason, he and Steve seem to think they are at Zanies doing 3 hours of stand up. Not everything has to be a clever joke. If they cut out the bit about trying to be cleverly hysterical all the time, they could be funny and provide quality game content.

The current style doesn't bother me so much I can't listen, but it seems obvious it is 2 guys trying too hard to be funny for 3 hours straight. Just call the game and let the humor happen. Don't force it.

And this is a good post IMO.

I can buy this criticism about standup comedy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
I don?€t want to be a 100 percent against him either. He actually has made me laugh, but he misses way more than he hits. He has great pipes for broadcasting without being a cartoon character. He?€s very smart. He just needs to dial it back. Let the game breathe instead of wall-to-wall talking.

Yea he needs to just talk less at times. Focus on the action and little things on the field or otherwise just call the game. Stop with the constant asides.

Agree 100% with you as well DA. It's a baseball game not a comedy routine. Over three hours, 160+ games a year it gets tiresome.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

While I generally like the new combo.... I have a couple gripes.

- Steve Stone talks about the game like the audience is witnessing their first baseball game ever. There are some prerequisites of baseball fandom that are assumed when someone tunes into a game. I know what "barreling a ball" means. I don't need a half-inning description of it.

- Benetti can get a little too goofy and tries to play off of Stone too much at times. For example when Stone was talking about how Castillo paints his nails so the pitcher can easily read signs, Benetti joked "First tape, now nail polish? where will it go next Steve?" as if to imply that players are being pretentious and ridiculous for painting their nails to benefit team performance.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:30 PM)
Yea he needs to just talk less at times. Focus on the action and little things on the field or otherwise just call the game. Stop with the constant asides.

Agree 100% with you as well DA. It's a baseball game not a comedy routine. Over three hours, 160+ games a year it gets tiresome.

There must be a rulebook on announcing. You aren't allowed to have much silence. Any broadcasters out there or experts on the field? Cmon, you have to talk, talk talk. How can anybody not love the story last night Stone told about his bonus for winning the Cy Young? That is GOOD announcing in a 14-5 game. You got to talk, folks, if u are a paid announcer.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:32 PM)

- Steve Stone talks about the game like the audience is witnessing their first baseball game ever. There are some prerequisites of baseball fandom that are assumed when someone tunes into a game. I know what "barreling a ball" means. I don't need a half-inning description of it.

- Benetti can get a little too goofy and tries to play off of Stone too much at times. For example when Stone was talking about how Castillo paints his nails so the pitcher can easily read signs, Benetti joked "First tape, now nail polish? where will it go next Steve?" as if to imply that players are being pretentious and ridiculous for painting their nails to benefit team performance.

That was cringey and happens constantly. Jason really thinks he's playing to an audience of stoned 18 year olds or something.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 05:32 PM)

I think announcers would take a line like this anyday. As long as you overall like the duo ... there always will be some gripes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:38 PM)
I think announcers would take a line like this anyday. As long as you overall like the duo ... there always will be some gripes.

When Jason is not with Stone, usually on other sports, he doesn't try to be as cute, and he is really good. I think eventually they will cut it down a bit. I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

Considering the fact that these seasons are likely to not result in us really winning much of anything, I think they just try to keep everything light and fun.

I like Stone a lot. I don’t really get the issues folks take with him.

Benetti does try a bit too hard, but generally I think he’s pleasant to listen to and has improved over the course of time.

The real test will come when we are in competitive, tense games. Many of us are accustomed to Hawk’s “my booty is so tight” kind of competitive nature, and obviously Jason doesn’t really feature that live or die with this game type of attititude yet. But what will he be like when we are in a pennant race? I guess time will tell.

All in all, I suspect that this pairing is not going anywhere until Stone decides to step down, at which point, they will replace him with someone else. I would be absolutely shocked, however, if Jason is ever replaced, unless it is his choice. I do think it’s possible that Jason could be offered a more prominent national radio gig, vis-a-vis Chris Singleton. He does have the voice, he is talented, and he is very bright. He does a fine job calling basketball games, and I wouldn’t doubt he continues to improve as he continues to cover the Sox.

For those who say he defers too much: he's a handicapped man who's never played baseball in his life most likely, calling a professional game with a former Cy Young winner. I'm *glad* he defers. Why should I give a s*** what Benetti thinks of a certain play, player, or situation?

I love watching baseball, and I love laughing. If I can do both at the same time behind 2 great voices, one of which might be the best analyst in the game, I'm in.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 12:52 PM)
For those who say he defers too much: he's a handicapped man who's never played baseball in his life most likely, calling a professional game with a former Cy Young winner. I'm *glad* he defers. Why should I give a s*** what Benetti thinks of a certain play, player, or situation?

I haven't noticed this at much this season, but it is really annoying when the broadcasts become a glorified Q & A session with Stone. There's a difference between deferring and acting like this is the first time you've ever watched a baseball game.

I don't mind benetti but I also don't mind most broadcasters.

But I do think the specific criticisms people try to make for why they don't like him are kinda ridiculous. Just say he rubs you the wrong way. Doesn't excite you. I get it. But if you read a game thread, there is literally zero people that could satisfy every nitpicky thing people cry about Benetti. The Q&A thing. I mean give me a break. That is how people talk and converse.

The only specific complaint that has resonated is the complaint that Farmer never says the score which is 100% accurate but also I am one of four people that still likes Farmer & DJ.

Though I will say Farmer sounds 100 years older this year. I don't think he's back again for another year.

Maybe it's because I'm from out of market so I hear more, but there are just so many bad baseball combinations out there. We're lucky to have gone from the worst (Hawk/Stone) to middle of the pack (Jason/Stone). And, in all fairness, Jason is going to get a lot better. He's such a hot commodity in sportscasting right now