Golf

What a season for my boys team.

District Champs - first in school’s history

Individual champ. First in schools history

18, 36, and 54 hole team scoring record.

18, 36, and 54 individual scoring records

Advancing to regional for the first time in school history.

Me in the middle of the 18th fairway chocking back tears as my #1 sticks a 8 iron to 6” from 145 yards to finish with a “walk off” birdie in front of 35 people. The kid is easily the best teammate I’ve ever been around. The other coaches were so happy for this kid.

Getting into coaching is so damn rewarding, even if it takes all my time.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
My top girl tied for 1st. We lost the sudden victory playoff. But she advances to regional. My nerves are shot.

You are a saint dude, I dont know how you do it. I'm going to send my boy down there for your tutelage

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Spieth, just when you think he’s going to run away and hide...falls apart again.

That Masters collapse really must have scarred his psyche.

When he loses it, he really loses it.

This is shaping up to be a good one. Rain tomorrow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 09:05 AM)
Put $10 on Leishman to win it all in Vegas in October so gotta root for him. 45-1

Realistically, it's hard to handicap, so many of the top players and past Masters champions are in great recent form. Ill go with Rory though.

My Leishman bet was fun for the first two rounds.

Straight choke job Rory, he missed some easy putts early. But props to Reed for standing tall and hanging on. Although the stories about him are starting to come out

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:11 PM)
You are a saint dude, I dont know how you do it. I'm going to send my boy down there for your tutelage

I was working with a couple pros and we are convinced that six shots will create a solid high school player.

Serviceable tee shot.

No two chips/pitches/bunker shots

50% from inside 6 feet

2 putts from 40 feet to 6 feet

3 putts from longer

Solid wedges from inside 75 yards.

Long irons/hybrids/fairway metals just aren't that important to breaking 85. Just hit two 8 irons.

Of course my players who are breaking par need a full bag of shots. But my goal is to get my freshman working on the key 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had a chance to play a round. A few things I discovered.

I can still get a ball around the course, although I moved up a tee box. I went to the 6,500 yard tees and shot +2 for the back nine, including being one under for the final 6 holes. I just am too short to play the tips. This course has five sets of tees and I'm never going back to the tips again. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone with more experience: I went to the range for the first time in two years today and found the following: I was crushing my clubs, both straight and far, but not getting them up in the air more than 20-40 ft. I've been messing around with moving the ball forward and back in my stance, and also opening up the club face a little but that hasn't helped all that much. Anyone have a pro tip on how to get under the ball so it has the proper flight path?

Thanks, 

Parkman

Edited by Jack Parkman