White Sox Winner!

Chicago White Sox

Great game. Loving the power and the bullpen looks fantastic. This is gonna be such a weird year. The division sucks so badly that if we overperform we will never be out of it. We have to stick to the plan and keep Ken "All In" Williams from whispering in Reinsdorf's ear if this team keeps winning...

Hope the lack of a good looking line doesn't take away from how Carson actually looked out there tonight. His pitches seemingly had more movement on them than they've had for the past 2 years and that was awesome to see. Still has to harness his control as when he was getting hit around it's because he was falling behind hitters. Certainly not saying he's going to be part of the future rotation or anything but at least he's starting to show something out there.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:11 PM)
Great game. Loving the power and the bullpen looks fantastic. This is gonna be such a weird year. The division sucks so badly that if we overperform we will never be out of it. We have to stick to the plan and keep Ken "All In" Williams from whispering in Reinsdorf's ear if this team keeps winning...

Does not compute.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:23 PM)
Hope the lack of a good looking line doesn't take away from how Carson actually looked out there tonight. His pitches seemingly had more movement on them than they've had for the past 2 years and that was awesome to see. Still has to harness his control as when he was getting hit around it's because he was falling behind hitters. Certainly not saying he's going to be part of the future rotation or anything but at least he's starting to show something out there.

His defense also kicked him in the balls which doesn't show in that line either.

Big story of the night for me is Fulmer's stuff, which looked premium. Good velo on the fastball, lots of run. Cutter gave lefties a hard time, used the change as well. Didn't always stay on top of his curve but when he did it looked good. Still fought his command, which he's going to do for a while (if not for his entire career) but he looked like a different guy out there.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:28 PM)
tonight's last three relievers looked fantastic.

jones and soria are solid to perhaps very good at the back. the rest of it? the sox are going to be in trouble in a lot of 6th innings this year. At least until some new faces are brought in all around to the pitching staff midway through summer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:31 PM)
Big story of the night for me is Fulmer's stuff, which looked premium. Good velo on the fastball, lots of run. Cutter gave lefties a hard time, used the change as well. Didn't always stay on top of his curve but when he did it looked good. Still fought his command, which he's going to do for a while (if not for his entire career) but he looked like a different guy out there.

to those that watched him closely at the end of last year -- was this different or new? I admit he surprised me tonight he had it working at times and showed good disposition as a starter (can't let a 2 run inning turng into a 4 run one and so on) which is something reylo also struggles with and reylo did well with that too his first outing.

if it's one thing this org knows it's how to develop sp so I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. So far so good the first time through for the kids. Reylo obviously was the most impressive on paper but all three battled and got the job done.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 10:28 PM)
tonight's last three relievers looked fantastic.

Soria and Jones yes....Farq was good tonight, but he hardly qualifies as fantastic. The pen sucks. They have 2 guys (and Soria is generally meh) and then a bunch of mo mos out there, sometimes they do ok, but just as often they are gas cans. ANY pitcher in that pen I hope does well enough to warrant a TDL for prospect.

Edited by kwolf68

I still think Fulmer's future is in the pen, but tonight was good. He looked like a credible MLB pitcher, which you couldn't always say about last year's performance.

Back end of the pen is good, front end is a Dumpster fire, but there's about half a dozen veterans in Charlotte and about half a dozen more prospects behind waiting to break in. I'm ok with the crappy pen for now.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:37 PM)
to those that watched him closely at the end of last year -- was this different or new? I admit he surprised me tonight he had it working at times and showed good disposition as a starter (can't let a 2 run inning turng into a 4 run one and so on) which is something reylo also struggles with and reylo did well with that too his first outing.

if it's one thing this org knows it's how to develop sp so I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. So far so good the first time through for the kids. Reylo obviously was the most impressive on paper but all three battled and got the job done.

I never watched a full game of his in september, but I remember it being a lot more 2 seam fastball and changeup, vs the whole arsenal being deployed in every count tonight.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:54 PM)
For what it's worth, there was a scoring chance. Fulmer is on the hook for 2 runs, not 3. It is not yet updated on box scores, but @cst_soxvan tweeted it.

thank god they changed that "hit" on the humpback linedrive engel dropped. an overall horrific defensive game from engel tonight. we'll see who gets the start in cf tmr.

Nice win. I know home runs are flying out of parks the last two years but some of the Sox homers this season have truly been crushed.

My faves: Davidson, Abreu did well. And the guys I've express disdain toward: Nate and Soria did well too.

I hope Fulmer is great.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 11:11 PM)
Nice win. I know home runs are flying out of parks the last two years but some of the Sox homers this season have truly been crushed.

My faves: Davidson, Abreu did well. And my nemesises: Nate and Soria did well too.

I hope Fulmer is great.

Why in the world is Nate Jones a nemesos.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 09:58 PM)
thank god they changed that "hit" on the humpback linedrive engel dropped. an overall horrific defensive game from engel tonight. we'll see who gets the start in cf tmr.

He had a tough series in the field. I'm not sure how much of that is from being in a dome and not being use to seeing ball in that setting but most of his AB's have been encouraging. He is having solid/competitive at bats and getting on base at a really good clip for our 9 hitter (.400)

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 08:34 PM)
jones and soria are solid to perhaps very good at the back. the rest of it? the sox are going to be in trouble in a lot of 6th innings this year. At least until some new faces are brought in all around to the pitching staff midway through summer.

Who are you realistically expecting will improve the pen THIS year upon arrival in Chicago?

Edited by caulfield12