Home Opener Game Thread! White Sox vs Tigers

TheTruth05

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 06:21 PM)
Yoan could be like Alexei... starts off cold and gradually warms up with the weather. We'll find out.

I don't think it's that, he is still learning the game and how to hit. Once he figures it out he will be consistently hitting .280.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:25 PM)
Yeah, it's especially funny to me that right when it started to unravel, 3-4 known trolls came out of the woodwork

Just good timing sometimes. I cant be on here at work...just so happens they started losing when I got on. Bam here we are.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 12:25 AM)
Yeah, it's especially funny to me that right when it started to unravel, 3-4 known trolls came out of the woodwork

I wouldn't overreact. People aren't acting that pissed or that out of line. It was a lousy loss. The reax on here hasn't been that brutal.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 12:27 AM)
Is moving him down in the order not playing? I think a case could be made to move him down from a mental standpoint. I get the development aspect and if you'll see my posts I have not thrown the kid under the bus, I love his potential. But IS HE putting too much pressure on himself to be a perfect leadoff hitter? Maybe letting by great pitches he can handle in an attempt to "work the count", instead of smashing the first good pitch you see?

Haven't noticed him doing anything different than last year

In time, I believe Yoan will be a 20-20 guy with elite defense. Anything over .260 is nice....anything over .285 and you probably have an all start on your hands. The talent and instincts are there. I just hope the kid isn't trying to be "the savior"....just go play ball.

QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:29 PM)
Davidson needed a few seasons, and it remains too soon in this season to confirm his emergence as a consistent power hitter.

Give Moncada time, maybe even time at a lower level.

Sending him down? Yeah that definitely wont look like an overreaction.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
A 23 year old Cuban playing in 35 degrees and snow. Not surprising it wasn’t going to be a stellar day for him.

Yolmer is from Venezuela and had an awesome game.

This isn't even a thing if Leury doesn't go bonehead on us

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:30 PM)

6. games. I'm not even gonna waste my time going through the first 6 game stats of some good players to prove a point. It's ridiculously early in the season to be wanting to send top prospects down

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
Haven't noticed him doing anything different than last year

Maybe, maybe not. I honestly didn't watch much Sox baseball last year as I didn't have Extra Innings. I got it this year.

At any rate, just trying to conjure up ideas. That said, if Yoan is rolled out there as leadoff going forward all good. But I do know sometimes if you lighten the mental load things relax. Though I honestly don't see any good alternate options in the leadoff spot.

And that is how you snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Even though the Sox aren't going anywhere this year it is still very frustrating to watch supposed major league pitchers not be able to get guys out especially with a lead of multiple runs.

Second blown game this week by the bullpen and I'm sure they'll be many, many more of them.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 01:31 AM)
6. games. I'm not even gonna waste my time going through the first 6 game stats of some good players to prove a point. It's ridiculously early in the season to be wanting to send top prospects down

Even I think that's an overreaction. I'm fine with him leading off all year. Just want to see improvements to his ability to make contact this year. He hits the ball too hard and has good enough speed to waste striking out 225 times this year

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:31 PM)

He needs to get it right at this level so he should stay and learn. I'm all for it.

Only thing I want is a better bullpen. These guys should be rewarded for hitting and scoring.

Moncada is similarly talented as guys like Xander Bogaerts and Byron Buxton, and similarly quick to the majors. Those guys needed a couple seasons to show their talent, and they have, especially Bogaerts. Give it time. He has a lot to learn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:29 PM)
A 23 year old Cuban playing in 35 degrees and snow. Not surprising it wasn’t going to be a stellar day for him.

Well I hope all of the playoff games from 2020-2027 are played in domes

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 06:25 PM)
Criticism is warranted, but much of it is overboard

That's life. The overly critical nature will end when he consistently puts up good numbers. I for one never thought he should be leading off. I just don't think it's the right approach for him prior to figuring things out. That's alot of pressure and it is mentally taxing.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:30 PM)

Not now.

But if the 0 fors get out of hand and he's battling .175 at Memorial Day with plenty of PA, you're not doing him any favors keeping him at the top level.

I look forward to 2 weeks from now when his numbers are inevitably better.

I feel like it's April 22nd (insert year here) and I'm dealing with one of those annual "Abreu has been figured out" threads. Except here the sample size is even more outrageous. He was an .800 OPS hitter from August to October last year, for crying out loud. That isn't even that cherry picked either, I'm only excluding his first 10 or so games which I'll give him as an adjustment period