Home Opener Game Thread! White Sox vs Tigers

TheTruth05

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:49 PM)
And he has been around for how long?

Not a valid comparison.

No one is comparing the two players. The point is that taking this much away from one April game is utterly silly.

By the same logic that says today is a red flag for Moncada - We should have been celebrating the home run and clutch RBI double in KC like he had somehow staked a claim in the big leagues and proven himself.

It's absurd logic. This whole thread from the meltdown point in the game has gotten rather absurd.

This was 6 plate appearances in what should be a 700 plate appearance season for Moncada. We should make an attempt to act rationally and treat it as such. lol

QUOTE (Richie @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
No one is comparing the two players. The point is that taking this much away from one April game is utterly silly.

By the same logic that says today is a red flag for Moncada - We should have been celebrating the home run and clutch RBI double in KC like he had somehow staked a claim in the big leagues and proven himself.

It's absurd logic. This whole thread from the meltdown point in the game has gotten rather absurd.

This was 6 plate appearances in what should be a 700 plate appearance season for Moncada. We should make an attempt to act rationally and treat it as such. lol

Welcome to Soxtalk my friend, I think we're gonna get along well!

this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:47 PM)
I don't like Moncada leading off and Avi batting second but my argument could be crushed in a debate cause the Sox run production hasn't been a problem in this 3-3 start.

who would you bat leadoff?

and honestly...I've had no problem at all with Avi batting 2nd at all.

Edited by Wanne

Yoan is going to be fine. The league knows he has an elite eye and so they are going to make him swing the bat. He recognizes this, and so he’s trying to be a bit more aggressive.

I’m not going to lie, I wish he didn’t have so much swing and miss in his game, but I think he’s largely just in between right now.

You could also tell he was uncomfortable in the cold today.

All in all, Yoan’s going to be just fine. And it’s good that he’s learning now, while the games mean nothing.

Pardon my skepticism.

I hope Yoan Moncada is great.

I suppose keeping him in the lineup if he underperforms all season won't be any worse than watching Harry Chappas, Dayan Viciedo, Bee Bee Richard, Gordon Beckham, and countless others I've seen pushed out as the future over the decades.

Edited by Knickname

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:34 PM)
Moncada is similarly talented as guys like Xander Bogaerts and Byron Buxton, and similarly quick to the majors. Those guys needed a couple seasons to show their talent, and they have, especially Bogaerts. Give it time. He has a lot to learn.

This is a great post. Keep in mind that typically Cubans are already behind the curve developmentally when they get to the US, and on top of it, he is still fairly young.

QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:17 PM)
Pardon my skepticism.

I hope Yoan Moncada is great.

I suppose keeping him in the lineup if he underperforms all season won't be any worse than watching Harry Chappas, Dayan Viciedo, Bee Bee Richard, Gordon Beckham, and countless others I've seen pushed out as the future over the decades.

He will be. He will heat up with the weather. Just watch. He's 22 YO

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:13 PM)
Yoan is going to be fine. The league knows he has an elite eye and so they are going to make him swing the bat. He recognizes this, and so he?€s trying to be a bit more aggressive.

I?€m not going to lie, I wish he didn?€t have so much swing and miss in his game, but I think he?€s largely just in between right now.

You could also tell he was uncomfortable in the cold today.

All in all, Yoan?€s going to be just fine. And it?€s good that he?€s learning now, while the games mean nothing.

Hell if we had listened to Soxtalk, Yolmer would have been cut before he was even Yolmer.

.....By the same logic that says today is a red flag for Moncada - We should have been celebrating the home run and clutch RBI double in KC like he had somehow staked a claim in the big leagues and proven himself.

It's absurd logic.

That wasn't me.

I've heard Hawk and too many others say, "So and so will be just fine" too many times.

Maybe this time they'll be right about Yoan.

I hope they are right.

I hope Fulmer makes us happy, too, but if he continued failing to make it through two innings each start I wouldn't want him at the top level without end.

I wasn't rooting for the failure of LaRoche, Dunne, and the Danks brothers either, but I won't accept the assurances of posters here or Harrelson that so and so will be just fine.

QUOTE (Knickname @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:41 PM)
That wasn't me.

I've heard Hawk and too many others say, "So and so will be just fine" too many times.

Maybe this time they'll be right about Yoan.

I hope they are right.

I hope Fulmer makes us happy, too, but if he continued failing to make it through two innings each start I wouldn't want him at the top level without end.

I wasn't rooting for the failure of LaRoche, Dunne, and the Danks brothers either, but I won't accept the assurances of posters here or Harrelson that so and so will be just fine.

Baseball isn't typically a game of instant success. The Mike Trouts of the world are rare indeed. The developmental curve of an Avi Garcia or Yolmer Sanchez is more normal. Some guys take time, especially if they weren't fundementally sound to start with. The kid is a toolbox. It could take 3 years for him to figure it out. That wouldn't be crazy at age 22.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:44 PM)
Baseball isn't typically a game of instant success. The Mike Trouts of the world are rare indeed. The developmental curve of an Avi Garcia or Yolmer Sanchez is more normal. Some guys take time, especially if they weren't fundementally sound to start with. The kid is a toolbox. It could take 3 years for him to figure it out. That wouldn't be crazy at age 22.

Exactly.

And I won't be disappointed if he continues to struggle. Nor will I be disappointed if he gets sent to a lower level if his struggles are greater than expected.

That wouldn't mean he couldn't return and excel.

.....and Yoan's 0-for clearly wasn't the reason the Sox lost today.

I was pleased by the pitching of Shields and the hitting of so many others.

I thought the Sox would be down by four or more after five innings.

Any clarification on Abreu's glove issue?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:44 PM)

Exactly, the more tools you have, the longer it takes to develop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 07:37 PM)
This is a great post. Keep in mind that typically Cubans are already behind the curve developmentally when they get to the US, and on top of it, he is still fairly young.

If what you both said is true, and I think it is myself, then we aren't looking at 2020 contention.

The thing about Moncada is he’s a former #1 prospect, the tools are off the charts, and he was one the centerpiece players in the Sale deal. Add to it there are a lot young players that come up and are just good- Correa, Lindor, Seager, Bryant, etc. At some point, it’s gotta be the Sox turn to have one of these great young players that are just great at baseball.

That all said, it’s six games, they got home at 2am last night, and it was probably the coldest weather he’s ever played in. He just needs to play, keep a positive attitude, and good things are going to happen.