Home Opener Game Thread! White Sox vs Tigers

TheTruth05

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:33 AM)
1)Yesterday was my 48th Opening Day. I've been to good games, and bad games on Opening Day. Yesterdays loss was easily the ugliest loss on Opening Day that I have attended. The bullpen blowing the game and the terrible defensive play by L. Garcia was really ugly.

2)When Hahn Traded Robertson, Jennings Kahnle and Swarzak last season he left the team with one of the worse bullpens in the history of the team. At best I thought he might improve the bullpen this off season. I think its fair to say that this bullpen has not been improved.

3) I can't help but wonder if the game plan with this team is to have another bad season which will result in another high draft choice and a even lower team payroll. The White Sox are 28th in payroll and it could probably in lower next year.

4) One of my major beefs against Rick Hahn is his signing players who are not any good and paying and wasting millions of dollars on them. LaRoche, Keppinger, Holland and now Soria were all acquired By Hahn. All of them didn't produce and were paid millions of dollars.

5) Attendance. It was certainly cold at the game yesterday and I'm sure it didn't make anybody come to the game as a walkup. Still to only have 33,000 at the home opener is not exactly anything to be happy about. Most Opening Day tickets are usually sold out weeks in advance. This tells me more and more people are not buying into this rebuild. Yesterdays crowd might be the biggest crowd of the year.

6) I see this so called rebuild going on for years. I wish that JR would sell the team.

I think you're less than 15 hours from watching an extremely frustrating loss live and you're saying ridiculous things.

I don't think 33,000 for opening day for a team with little expectations in 35 degrees and snow is a bad number. I also don't think that was Hahn signing those players outside of Soria and Holland, and Holland ate more than 135 innings for a team that was TRYING to lose. If whoever they pick at 4 this year turns out to be a star, you'll probably be thanking Hahn and Holland's 6+ ERA & 1.7+ WHIP.

Also, what the f*** does Reinsdorf have to do with this rebuild? They sign vets and lose, JR's fault. They rebuild, JR's fault. Relax.

This should be the last below .500 year for awhile, assuming Jimenez, Kopech, Moncada, and Giolito pan out.

Edited by soxfan49

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:46 AM)
Sure he's striking out more than we'd like, but his K rate will get better with time. Moncada's wOBA is currently .258 and his xwOBA is .407. That's a .149 disparity. That's HISTORICALLY unlucky. Last season, Miggy Cabrera's disparity rate led all of baseball at .060. Take a deep breath and remember that this kid is 22 years old. When Yoan breaks out, he's gonna break WAY out.

I'm taking deep breaths. I'm not panicking. I'm just not ready to say that he's looking better than fine.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
I think you're less than 15 hours from watching an extremely frustrating loss live and you're saying ridiculous things.

I don't think 33,000 for opening day for a team with little expectations in 35 degrees and snow is a bad number. I also don't think that was Hahn signing those players outside of Soria and Holland, and Holland ate more than 135 innings for a team that was TRYING to lose. If whoever they pick at 4 this year turns out to be a star, you'll probably be thanking Hahn and Holland's 6+ ERA & 1.7+ WHIP.

This should be the last below .500 year for awhile, assuming Jimenez, Kopech, Moncada, and Giolito pan out.

Nah, he always says ridiculous things

1)Yesterday was my 48th Opening Day. I've been to good games, and bad games on Opening Day. Yesterdays loss was easily the ugliest loss on Opening Day that I have attended. The bullpen blowing the game and the terrible defensive play by L. Garcia was really ugly.

2)When Hahn Traded Robertson, Jennings Kahnle and Swarzak last season he left the team with one of the worse bullpens in the history of the team. At best I thought he might improve the bullpen this off season. I think its fair to say that this bullpen has not been improved.

3) I can't help but wonder if the game plan with this team is to have another bad season which will result in another high draft choice and a even lower team payroll. The White Sox are 28th in payroll and it could probably in lower next year.

4) One of my major beefs against Rick Hahn is his signing players who are not any good and paying and wasting millions of dollars on them. LaRoche, Keppinger, Holland and now Soria were all acquired By Hahn. All of them didn't produce and were paid millions of dollars.

5) Attendance. It was certainly cold at the game yesterday and I'm sure it didn't make anybody come to the game as a walkup. Still to only have 33,000 at the home opener is not exactly anything to be happy about. Most Opening Day tickets are usually sold out weeks in advance. This tells me more and more people are not buying into this rebuild. Yesterdays crowd might be the biggest crowd of the year.

6) I see this so called rebuild going on for years. I wish that JR would sell the team.

Classic post, water is wet.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:51 AM)
Well, the objective measures would suggest otherwise.

Here's an objective measure: at this rate he's going to strike out 286 times.

Again, I believe he's going to be a good player. I'm not sure he'll ever be GREAT, as sometimes hyped prospects tend to not be great. However, he's been less than impressive to start the year. Hopefully by July, he's striking out less and getting on base more.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:53 AM)

Again, I believe he's going to be a good player. I'm not sure he'll ever be GREAT, as sometimes hyped prospects tend to not be great. However, he's been less than impressive to start the year. Hopefully by July, he's striking out less and getting on base more.

Come on, I know you know that rate stats are meaningless with a 6 game sample.

At this point, aside from eye test, all we can really do to judge him is look at his batted ball stats. I would be worried if he has been making weak contact and whatnot, but he is hitting the ball impressively. Soon enough, the luck will even out.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:53 AM)

But Matt Davidson is going to hit 108 homers while driving in 203 runs, Tim Anderson is going to hit 81 homers and steal 81 bases, plus Yolmer is going to hit 54 triples and drive in 189 runs, so it is all good.

Moncada has very limited professional baseball experience in comparison to most prospects. He didn't have the luxury of playing three years of college baseball before being drafted and playing in a minor league system for at least a few years before being called up. He's way ahead of the curve despite the results so far. Then there's his tools, oh my!

Relax and be patient with the guy.

Then again maybe we should just release him as was suggested with Abreu last April.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
But Matt Davidson is going to hit 108 homers while driving in 203 runs, Tim Anderson is going to hit 81 homers and steal 81 bases, plus Yolmer is going to hit 54 triples and drive in 189 runs, so it is all good.

Funny how someone can take one thing from a post and make it into a comedy session.

For the third time, I'm by no means panicking/calling him a bust/saying he should be released/promoting a demotion to Kannapolis. However, I am saying that he hasn't looked better than fine. If you all really think he looks better than fine, we'll agree to disagree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)

But but but your projections don't suit the pessimistic narrative so these do not apply.

This is hysterical. This team isn't supposed to contend, how could it possibly be a bigger trainwreck than the 1991 home opener? Opening a new park. Optimism about winning a division, lose 16-0.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:12 AM)
This is hysterical. This team isn't supposed to contend, how could it possibly be a bigger trainwreck than the 1991 home opener? Opening a new park. Optimism about winning a division, lose 16-0.

I get what you're saying but it's possible he didn't attend that one.

I was going to mention that as well. IMO, that is way uglier of a loss than a meh bullpen bullpenning all over itself in a developmental year.

Anytime you get shutout it's terrible, and all you have to do is go back to 2015 when they lost 6-0 in their home opener

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:09 AM)
Funny how someone can take one thing from a post and make it into a comedy session.

For the third time, I'm by no means panicking/calling him a bust/saying he should be released/promoting a demotion to Kannapolis. However, I am saying that he hasn't looked better than fine. If you all really think he looks better than fine, we'll agree to disagree.

It isn't a comedy session. It is lesson on not getting to high or too low based on SSS.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:16 AM)

He said he's been to 48, so I am guessing he didn't miss the first one in the new park with a team coming off a 95 win season adding a couple of big names.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:16 AM)
I was at the 1991 Opening Day. It was bad but the game was a blowout. The White Sox were never in the game. Yesterdays game should have been won by the White Sox.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)
Anytime you get shutout it's terrible, and all you have to do is go back to 2015 when they lost 6-0 in their home opener

One of my worst was 2007. Sox lost 12-5. Contreras' first pitch was deposited into the seats by Lillian's crush, Grady Sizemore. The entire season went downhill from there. Way worse than yesterday.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:19 AM)
I was at the 1991 Opening Day. It was bad but the game was a blowout. The White Sox were never in the game. Yesterdays game should have been won by the White Sox.

Dude losing 16-0 at the opening of a new ballpark when you're expected to contend is way worse than losing in extra innings year 2 of a rebuild by far lol

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)
It isn't a comedy session. It is lesson on not getting to high or too low based on SSS.

To which I'd say I'm not too high or too low but I would argue that "better than fine" is too high.