Saladino

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)
I assumed with last season's offensive performance he was as good as gone as a major leaguer no matter how good his defense is/was

Is there seriously no other option? Seems like another Cody Asche situation from last year.

Sure, Cordell...maybe Skole, but they should be playing everyday.

Saladino knows his role, has good speed off the bench, posesses a lot of versatility, and had a ton of physical/back problems so they’ll give him at least 3-4 months to see if he can rebound. Seems to get along with all of his teammates. Already 29.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:12 AM)
Sure, Cordell...maybe Skole, but they should be playing everyday.

Saladino knows his role, has good speed off the bench, posesses a lot of versatility, and had a ton of physical/back problems so they’ll give him at least 3-4 months to see if he can rebound. Seems to get along with all of his teammates. Already 29.

Ok, that all makes sense. I hope for the best for him, but last year post-April he was just abysmal.

I'm not crazy about him being on the team but this isn't a cody asche situation. He was clearly injured last year.

But those most likely to replace him in AAA aren't as versatile defensively. I am worried that he's mainly taking away Sanchez' at bats, which I'm not a fan of.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:33 AM)
I'm not crazy about him being on the team but this isn't a cody asche situation. He was clearly injured last year.

But those most likely to replace him in AAA aren't as versatile defensively. I am worried that he's mainly taking away Sanchez' at bats, which I'm not a fan of.

I do think Tyler really had issues through injury last year, as the drop off in his place was stark. Realistically, we don't need to be in any hurry to get rid of him, even if the drop off is real. Let him play and figure it out.

I think we need a player like Saladino in the lineup. Assuming he won't be used much, here's my optimal lineup. We need some non power hitters to set the table.

Leury cf (no Engel)

Moncada 2b

Avi rf

Abreu 1b

Davidson 1B

Anderson ss

Delmonico LF

Castillo c

Sanchez 3B

or

Saladino or Sanchez 3B

Anderson ss

Moncada 2B

Abreu 1B

Avi rf

Davidson DH

Delmonico lf

Castillo c

Leury/Engel cf

The way I see it, he should be the last guy on the bench. He could have helped his stock by picking up the ability to play OF, but that's obviously easier said than done. He's a better defensive replacement than Leury in the infield, but given what we saw last year Leury is the better bat and offers OF defense as well. The main concern with keeping Saladino around is whether Renteria can resist giving him too much playing time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:48 AM)
I do think Tyler really had issues through injury last year, as the drop off in his place was stark. Realistically, we don't need to be in any hurry to get rid of him, even if the drop off is real. Let him play and figure it out.

if the drop off is real, what exactly is he figuring out?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
if the drop off is real, what exactly is he figuring out?

You have to play him to figure it out. He has shown in the past he is talented enough to be on a major league roster. The Sox should still be in talent accumulation mode, and Saladino is a part of that process.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:26 PM)
You have to play him to figure it out. He has shown in the past he is talented enough to be on a major league roster. The Sox should still be in talent accumulation mode, and Saladino is a part of that process.

Your series of points don't make sense to me.

You say on the one hand he's been proven to be an ML in the past.

However, you also said "even the drop off is real" - which is the point I'm addressing. Not his 2016 and before status, but the 2017 drop off, which is well below what I feel is acceptable from an ML hitter.

So, if we're talking about the drop off being real, we are talking Saladino as now a .178 BA / .484 OPS ML hitter.

If that's where he is at, and it's real, what exactly is he figuring out?

What value do the Sox have in the occasional start for him to figure it out...if the drop off is real?

I understand using him purely as a defensive replacement late in games with the occasional AB.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:58 PM)
Your series of points don't make sense to me.

You say on the one hand he's been proven to be an ML in the past.

However, you also said "even the drop off is real" - which is the point I'm addressing. Not his 2016 and before status, but the 2017 drop off, which is well below what I feel is acceptable from an ML hitter.

So, if we're talking about the drop off being real, we are talking Saladino as now a .178 BA / .484 OPS ML hitter.

If that's where he is at, and it's real, what exactly is he figuring out?

What value do the Sox have in the occasional start for him to figure it out...if the drop off is real?

I understand using him purely as a defensive replacement late in games with the occasional AB.

Until he plays, you have no idea if his problem was health or play related, hence the "if". The Sox a very obviously betting that last year was the fluke, and not his previous experience, and they have WAY more information than any of us on Tyler Saladino. All you have to look at is his 2016 season where he put up half a season as a league average hitter, and a guy who can fill in at 6 or 7 positions. With rosters saturated with pitching these days, guys like that have value. The only way to know if Tyler is really the 2016 or 2017 player is for him to get ABs.

The Sox are in no need to rush players and assets out of the system right now. As a cost controlled player, still away from free agency, Saladino can have some value if he recovers. There is also no one he is blocking right now. He is the primary defensive back up all over the IF. Who else would do that? Why the rush?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 12:26 PM)

Can he be optioned to Charlotte?

Not sure why the Sox would have Saldino in their long term plans, being that he is already 28, but that doesn't mean he needs to be cut from the team. It makes no sense sense to me to replace Sally with someone at this current place and time. Jose Rondon is theoretically next on the list and he needs to be playing every day. Alvarez (as much of a feel good story that he is) has shown nothing at Charlotte and is already 28 as well. And does anyone really think that Jake Elmore, Juan Perez, or Ryan Brett are going to be more valuable to the Sox at this stage in the season?