Rec League softball

• 2 months later...

We finished the first half of our season at 5 - 2. The two losses were pretty close. A couple of dumb mistakes lost the games for us.

We seem to have a better team this year than in years past. Before most of the girls on the team were simply wives/girlfriends/co-workers of the other players and were mostly there to fill a spot. Now we have girls that actually played softball in HS and/or college and know what they are doing.

Second half starts this Thursday.

My softball team got into a brawl with a new team two weeks ago, craziest thing I have ever been a part of on the softball field.  My SS got sucker punched, two guys from the other team were banned from our league for life 

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

My softball team got into a brawl with a new team two weeks ago, craziest thing I have ever been a part of on the softball field.  My SS got sucker punched, two guys from the other team were banned from our league for life 

Almost witnessed this in a Sunday baseball league in the game before ours earlier this year. Team was down 13-2 and they were talking shit to the other team. Pitcher (for the team that was losing) struck out a guy and yelled at him to sit down. Next guy hit a grounder back at the pitcher and he started chasing him down the line before throwing him out. The guy went up to the pitcher and benches cleared. 

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Almost witnessed this in a Sunday baseball league in the game before ours earlier this year. Team was down 13-2 and they were talking shit to the other team. Pitcher (for the team that was losing) struck out a guy and yelled at him to sit down. Next guy hit a grounder back at the pitcher and he started chasing him down the line before throwing him out. The guy went up to the pitcher and benches cleared. 

The opposing pitcher started the shit with us too.  Our SS hit box and the pitcher caught it and got super pissed and said “how dare you?” And threw the ball at my guys head when he wasn’t even looking.  The ump did nothing and let us keep playing.  All hell broke loose in the handshake line

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The opposing pitcher started the shit with us too.  Our SS hit box and the pitcher caught it and got super pissed and said “how dare you?” And threw the ball at my guys head when he wasn’t even looking.  The ump did nothing and let us keep playing.  All hell broke loose in the handshake line

Oh yeah this game ended early. They only had one inning left anyway and the one team was being slaughtered anyway.

I don't understand the people that take rec league softball that seriously that they get involved in a fight over it. I'm there to have fun and try not to get hurt.

We had a guy on our team a couple of years ago that had a temper that went from 0 to 60 in about 1.5 seconds. He got into more than a few arguments with players on other teams.

One thing our league has done to try to help avoid collisions at home plate (which has led to brawls in the past) is that they installed a completely separate home plate for runners. It's slightly behind and to the left of the catcher. So when you come around 3rd base, you have to veer to the right and touch that plate to score a run.

All plays at home are force plays no matter what. There is also a line marked on the 3rd base line that once you cross it, you aren't allowed to go back to third base. So once you pass that line, if the ball gets to home plate before you and the fielder touches the "real" plate, you are out. It's worked out well so far.

Edited by Iwritecode

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Exactly why I stopped playing mens 12in league.  Too many "former' baseball players trying to beat each other up. 

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

I don't understand the people that take rec league softball that seriously that they get involved in a fight over it. I'm there to have fun and try not to get hurt.

We had a guy on our team a couple of years ago that had a temper that went from 0 to 60 in about 1.5 seconds. He got into more than a few arguments with players on other teams.

One thing our league has done to try to help avoid collisions at home plate (which has led to brawls in the past) is that they installed a completely separate home plate for runners. It's slightly behind and to the left of the catcher. So when you come around 3rd base, you have to veer to the right and touch that plate to score a run.

All plays at home are force plays no matter what. There is also a line marked on the 3rd base line that once you cross it, you aren't allowed to go back to third base. So once you pass that line, if the ball gets to home plate before you and the fielder touches the "real" plate, you are out. It's worked out well so far.

when I lived in Carbondale, we played with the 3rd baseline hash mark too, but not with a separate base.   I actually thought it was fun playing home plate like first base.

I mean, if you guys are playing with the hash, there should be no reason to have a scoring plate.  collisions should be effectively removed

1 hour ago, RockRaines said:

Exactly why I stopped playing mens 12in league.  Too many "former' baseball players trying to beat each other up. 

i have been playing since i turned 18, and this is the first time i have ever been involved in a brawl like that.   Chest bumping and shit talking, sure.  But it never got that bad

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

My fav is when the team you beat twice in the regular season, makes it to the title game to face you, and shows up with 4 guys who hadn't played all year.

even better when you slaughter that team twice

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

when I lived in Carbondale, we played with the 3rd baseline hash mark too, but not with a separate base.   I actually thought it was fun playing home plate like first base.

I mean, if you guys are playing with the hash, there should be no reason to have a scoring plate.  collisions should be effectively removed

"Should be".  Just an extra layer of precaution I guess. Similar to the extra orange base at first for the runners.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

My fav is when the team you beat twice in the regular season, makes it to the title game to face you, and shows up with 4 guys who hadn't played all year.

I had it once where the other team (in coed) showed up with 3 girls from the pro softball team in town.  They played 3B, SS and 2B and slaughtered us.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

i have been playing since i turned 18, and this is the first time i have ever been involved in a brawl like that.   Chest bumping and shit talking, sure.  But it never got that bad

At Eckert park, there was one season where there was 2-3 real brawls on the field and I just stood in LF watching.  That was my last 12in season.

• 2 weeks later...

I played 12 inch during college and we routinely played teams that had ex-college baseball players. We had players who peaked in high school, and got murdered nearly every game. One time, our pitcher got nailed in the face with a ball and broke his orbital bone. That was our last season playing 12 inch, as no one wanted to pitch anymore.

We had a double-header last night. We were down late in both of them but managed to come back and win both.  

I also learned a new rule. The other team was batting and there was 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter had one strike and on the second pitch she popped the ball up to our firstbaseman.  He caught the ball in foul territory but the runner on 3rd failed to tag up and ran home immediately. Firstbaseman threw to 3rd thinking it would be a double play but the umpire called dead ball.

Apparently as soon as the ball landed in foul territory (even though it was caught) it's considered a strikeout and the runners cannot advance.

Just another quirk of slow-pitch softball.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:53 AM, Iwritecode said:

We had a double-header last night. We were down late in both of them but managed to come back and win both.  

I also learned a new rule. The other team was batting and there was 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd. The batter had one strike and on the second pitch she popped the ball up to our firstbaseman.  He caught the ball in foul territory but the runner on 3rd failed to tag up and ran home immediately. Firstbaseman threw to 3rd thinking it would be a double play but the umpire called dead ball.

Apparently as soon as the ball landed in foul territory (even though it was caught) it's considered a strikeout and the runners cannot advance.

Just another quirk of slow-pitch softball.

Why would that be a strike out with only one strike? I'd understand if there were 2 strikes.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 6/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Kyyle23 said:

SIU alum?

30 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Why would that be a strike out with only one strike? I'd understand if there were 2 strikes.

In our league it's 2 strikes and you are out. 3 balls is a walk. 

If you hit a foul ball on your second strike, you are out.

I think most of the rules are designed to make the game as fast as possible since we have a time limit of 1 hour to play.

Edited by Iwritecode

12 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

In our league it's 2 strikes and you are out. 3 balls is a walk. 

If you hit a foul ball on your second strike, you are out.

I think most of the rules are designed to make the game as fast as possible since we have a time limit of 1 hour to play.

Yeah, we started with a 1-1 count too.