Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

Happy to take a .154 season from Moncada if we can also extrapolate the offensive numbers of the rest of those players for the full season, particularly Davidson, Anderson and Yolmer.

Winning.

And it?€s not like he isnt 1 for his last 15. Even changing that one hit to a GS gives him a respectable ops.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:55 PM)
https://twitter.com/SoxMach_pnoles/status/982254003957350406

Not concerned in the slightest

Similar to Machado early last year

A .407 wOBA would have ranked 6th amongst qualified hitters last season. Moncada is fine.

Of course, it'd be nice to see him cut his strikeout rate into the mid 20% range.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:48 PM)
Hitting .154

You're not Ron. Ron needs to start this thread so he hits .400 with 10 HRs for the rest of the month and proceeds to be a .300+ hitter for the rest of the year and gets 20/20 as well.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:06 PM)
Worst thread ever. OP is normally a good contributor to this forum, but this fud here is a joke. Even if Moncada maxes out at .250 this year, I am not going to start being worried about his development until we get at least 2 full years in and he's not hitting better than Gordon Beckham did.

It's somewhere between possible and likely that Moncada doesn't hit .250 this year so I don't think that's a reasonable floor to set. I would be happy with a sub 30% K rate and/or a .350+ OBP.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:31 PM)
If he can't play in the cold, that'll be a problem in 2020 and beyond.

Yeah, but his experience playing in cold prior to this season was non existent. By 2020, he'll have 2-3 years of experiencing frigid weather in early season...hopefully he develops from that? Like how you expect a young prospect to learn through experience...something a few people are not patient with at all for him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 08:56 PM)
https://twitter.com/darenw/status/982323596516315136/photo/1

Moncada sixth in average exit velocity.

No he's not. He's 3rd according to the 20 players on that list. Abreu is #1 actually.

Also, I have no idea how to find that page. Baseball savant's website only has data up to 2017, and MLB.com's statcast page has a lot less data.

I get it. Sox fans are scarred. Brian Anderson, the back to back hilariously bad 1st rounders that were Lance Broadway and Kyle McCullouch, Courtney Hawkins not being able to hit anything in pro ball, Gordon Beckham coming up in 2009, setting the world on fire only to completely flame out afterward. Trading Gio Gonzalez twice. Tatis for Shields, the Wilder scandal and the list could go on forever, depending on how far back you want to go.

Sox fans wanted the rebuild, so we can't have prospect PTSD anymore. We have to look at it with a clean slate, because otherwise we can dismiss everything until ownership changes and the front office is replaced. We can go on with our lives without giving a rat's ass about the Sox.

I'm usually one of the most pessimistic posters here. Jack Parkman's law says Murphy was an optimist. If we're going to expect everything to fail miserably the what is the point of watching? Why do people even care? No matter what the FO tries to do, we can dismiss it as incompetence, etc. What is the point of being a sports fan if you always expect your team to lose because the odds say so? We all hate the Cub fan so much that we have gone completely in the other direction. They have eternal optimism, we have eternal pessimism that would put Murphy to shame. Sometimes being a sports fan is to be irrational. Spend that irrational energy on what the Sox look like in 2021 if only 2-3 of the top guys in our system completely wash out, and those three guys aren't the big names(Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Kopech, Jimenez) Imagine all of those guys approaching their ceiling. Irrational, yes. But not any more irrational than writing off Moncada after less than 1/2 season's worth of at bats at the major league level ofer 3 separate seasons.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 09:31 PM)
If he can't play in the cold, that'll be a problem in 2020 and beyond.

A) Going 0-fer the first time in your life that you've seen snow on a baseball field does not mean you can't play in the cold. It's a perfectly normal shock to the system.

B) The average High in Chicago during October? 62. With a low of 50.

It was 35 and snowing during the game Thursday. Lol. That's not normal. I think the White Sox worst weather game in 05 was Game 2 vs the Astros. Which was 40 and drizzling. This was a freak occurrence. I don't ever recall seeing snow during a Cubs or White Sox playoff game. If it's happened... it's as common as a blue moon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago+ave...me&ie=UTF-8

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 03:53 AM)
Sure he's made some loud outs... but he's had some really s***ty at-bats. Staring at a called third strike right down the middle doesn't account for the wOBA.

Like most young players he’s a work in progress. Unlike most young players, he hits the ball super hard, draws a ton of walks, & has elite speed. Let’s all give him more than six cold games in April before we hit the panic button.