Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

Byron Buxton has a career 698 ops in 912 at-bats over 3+ seasons...also a former #1 prospect in baseball.

21—.576

22—.714

23—.727

Didn’t become a truly valuable player until last season, largely due to his Gold Glove defense.

I do have a concern that he’s never going to be a huge stolen base threat, but in modrn baseball, that risks a lot of potential injuries that are not worth taking him out of the lineup (see Luis Robert slide in ST.)

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 07:47 AM)
You're fooling yourself if each and everyone one of us isn't at least a little concerned over Moncada..

I agree, but I’m waiting until he’s played 162 games in a Sox uniform. Let’s take a look at those numbers in August, when he’s 23 and played a full year. Hopefully it’s an OPS+ over 100, and trending up. I’m expecting he’ll be fine.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 10:36 AM)
Andrew Benintendi, the "more polished" player the Red Sox refused to trade, is batting .174 with no extra base hits.

Please, I beg of you, forget this thread exists...cast it into a deep pit and move on with your lives.

Benintendi played 151 games last year and had a .776 OPS at the same age Moncada is now. That’s the kind of season we’re looking for from Moncada, and I don’t think it’s a lot to expect from a former #1 overall prospect. He can do it, and I expect he will.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 07:47 AM)
You're fooling yourself if each and everyone one of us isn't at least a little concerned over Moncada..

Looking at the comments in this thread you're fooling yourself if you think each and every one of us is a little concerned.

I am genuinely not in the least bit concerned.

Pretty hard to compare an advanced collegiate hitter in Benintendi to a raw Cuban in Moncada.

If you factor in pro-rated WAR, Moncada was arguably more effective despite struggling mightily out of the gate. A strong middle infielder will always be worth more to a team than an average left fielder, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:03 AM)
Pretty hard to compare an advanced collegiate hitter in Benintendi to a raw Cuban in Moncada.

If you factor in pro-rated WAR, Moncada was arguably more effective despite struggling mightily out of the gate. A strong middle infielder will always be worth more to a team than an average left fielder, too.

I’m just saying it’s not wrong to expect Moncada to have a good season this year.

Yes, if you’re mad about six games, you’re a moron. But they didn’t get a number 1 prospect for Sale to just be average in the long run. He needs to be one of the better players in the Sox lineup, hopefully batting 1st or 2nd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
notworthy.gif

:cheers

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
I can't hit well in the cold, so he definitely meant me.

But the joke's on him, because I can't hit well in any weather anymore!

Welcome to the club. :D

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
Andrew Benintendi, the "more polished" player the Red Sox refused to trade, is batting .174 with no extra base hits.

Please, I beg of you, forget this thread exists...cast it into a deep pit and move on with your lives.

As a White Sox fan living in Red Sox country that is a terrible comparison. Benintendi and Moncada arrived together from AA to the Majors. Moncada went back to AAA while Benintendi stayed in the majors.

Benintendi has 700 ABs 22 HR- 105 RBI-22-SB 89 BB/140 SO and a .270 avg.

Moncada has 286 ABS 9HR -26 RBI 3 SB 35 BB/98 SO and a .226 avg.

Benintendi has been a stud since he arrived. Moncada has struggled for 2+ years. I still think Moncada has a higher ceiling. To make it worse for me, even Devers who was behind Moncada arrived last year , has similiar ABS as Moncada and put up better numbers. I would take Moncada over him as well but I do have "White"-colored glasses.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 03:21 PM)
Benintendi has been a stud since he arrived. Moncada has struggled for 2+ years. I still think Moncada has a higher ceiling. To make it worse for me, even Devers who was behind Moncada arrived last year , has similiar ABS as Moncada and put up better numbers. I would take Moncada over him as well but I do have "White"-colored glasses.

Yikes...

Benintendi was promising last year but I'd hardly call him a stud.

Moncada's "struggles" have been going on for about a week, not 2+ years. He was an above average player in his MLB time last year, I can't find a single metric that says otherwise

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 02:21 PM)
As a White Sox fan living in Red Sox country that is a terrible comparison. Benintendi and Moncada arrived together from AA to the Majors. Moncada went back to AAA while Benintendi stayed in the majors.

Benintendi has 700 ABs 22 HR- 105 RBI-22-SB 89 BB/140 SO and a .270 avg.

Moncada has 286 ABS 9HR -26 RBI 3 SB 35 BB/98 SO and a .226 avg.

Hey I live in Boston, hello fellow N'Englander.

Anyways, the point isn't to compare the two players, but to compare the sample sizes, both of which aren't large.

Also lol at "2+ years". With 286 PA.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 04:36 PM)
Moncada has 286 career PA's. To say "2+ years" is so disengenuous that it's pretty much just a lie. What an awful point.

He said that he has been "struggling" for 2+ years, which makes it even worse. 2+ years = about 10 days I guess