Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 04:45 PM)
He said that he has been "struggling" for 2+ years, which makes it even worse. 2+ years = about 10 days I guess

Is he struggling or not? Every day since the season started you’ve said he looks fine. Now you just said he’s been struggling for 10 days. which is it?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 04:57 PM)
Is he struggling or not? Every day since the season started you’ve said he looks fine. Now you just said he’s been struggling for 10 days. which is it?

He has looked fine, and he is not struggling. I was humoring his argument.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:20 PM)
I just can’t believe that anyone truly thinks that he looks fine and is not struggling. This is absolutely nuts

I just can't believe that anyone truly cares about numbers from such a small sample size. I've watched every single one of his at bats and I am not at all worried.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:34 PM)
If Jimenez doesnt put up MVP numbers from the getgo, SoxTalk will break the internet...

I’d hardly describe this as “the getgo” but yeah you could be right, unless he doesn’t strike out 40% of the time, then I might not care as much.

We keep talking about small sample sizes yet I’d imagine Moncada leading baseball in EV is a small sample size since he’s only putting the ball in play a few times per week. That’s like a QB playing one week, going 12-15 and saying he leads the NFL in completion percentage.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:20 PM)
I just can’t believe that anyone truly thinks that he looks fine and is not struggling. This is absolutely nuts

I think he’s struggling from the standpoint of not getting hits to fall—not struggling to belong in the league. He looks and plays like a major leaguer—does not look out of place. That’s a big difference I think.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:48 PM)
I think he’s struggling from the standpoint of not getting hits to fall—not struggling to belong in the league. He looks and plays like a major leaguer—does not look out of place. That’s a big difference I think.

His xwOBA is .449, which indicates that he is clearly hitting the ball well and is getting unlucky.

The only legitimate gripe you could make right now is that he strikes out too much, but that's something that I think will improve with time. Plus, his walks help to offset those.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 04:27 PM)
Yikes...

Benintendi was promising last year but I'd hardly call him a stud.

Moncada's "struggles" have been going on for about a week, not 2+ years. He was an above average player in his MLB time last year, I can't find a single metric that says otherwise

I would say striking out 37% of his AB last year ( while his team was 23%) and hitting .231 was struggling. I don't count this year since the sample size is so small. But he is struggling so far and striking out at a higher rate early on.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 06:50 PM)
I would say striking out 37% of his AB last year ( while his team was 23%) and hitting .231 was struggling. I don't count this year since the sample size is so small. But he is struggling so far and striking out at a higher rate early on.

Would you say his .750 OPS was struggling? His 104 wRC+?

Edited by Jose Abreu

There's really very little doubt that he's going to be a competent hitter. The real question is how good will it get? His propensity to strike out means there's some risk he's going to be more of a .750-.800 OPS type, but I don't see much downside below that.

Not worried about either Moncada or Giolito yet. Moncada is hitting the ball hard and it is going right at fielders. It will even out over time. Giolito has battled without his best stuff and pitched well in really cold weather, in which he has probably never done in his life. When you don't have your best stuff, you rely on the defense to bail you out, and they didn't on Saturday. His line looks worse than it should have been due to poor defense. Should have had 6 IP 2 ER on Saturday. Giolito's velocity was starting to return to ST readings during the 1st 3 innings, as he was 92-94. Even Lopez was in the low 90s by the 4th inning today. Not worried

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 11:12 PM)
Seems the Sox stadium gun was slower, then...Lopez was 96-98 in his first start according to MLB At Bat. On the Sox feed Sunday, he was "just" 93-95, comparatively.

Giolito was 88-92/93...Fulmer (DET) was consistently 94-95.

I saw quite a few at 92 from Lopez after the 3rd. I think it has to do with pitchers mechanics breaking down in the cold.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:24 PM)
I just can't believe that anyone truly cares about numbers from such a small sample size. I've watched every single one of his at bats and I am not at all worried.

Yep. Today's game is a perfect example of the effects of a small sample size. In just 4 PA Moncada has gone from a 77 wRC+ to a 118 wRC+.

Edited by OmarComing25

Holy crap did adding HTML make that unusable.

had to delete all of the quotes to make it readable, but I think he's using James Fegan who tweeted this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 03:21 PM)
As a White Sox fan living in Red Sox country that is a terrible comparison. Benintendi and Moncada arrived together from AA to the Majors. Moncada went back to AAA while Benintendi stayed in the majors.

Benintendi has 700 ABs 22 HR- 105 RBI-22-SB 89 BB/140 SO and a .270 avg.

Moncada has 286 ABS 9HR -26 RBI 3 SB 35 BB/98 SO and a .226 avg.

Benintendi has been a stud since he arrived. Moncada has struggled for 2+ years. I still think Moncada has a higher ceiling. To make it worse for me, even Devers who was behind Moncada arrived last year , has similiar ABS as Moncada and put up better numbers. I would take Moncada over him as well but I do have "White"-colored glasses.

Benintendi has been a stud? He was a barely league average hitter last year in a corner outfield spot with not great defense and has been terrible to start this season. Personally I think he's been one of the more overrated players since he came up.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 04:16 PM)
Benintendi has been a stud? He was a barely league average hitter last year in a corner outfield spot with not great defense and has been terrible to start this season. Personally I think he's been one of the more overrated players since he came up.

Honestly I think that defense stuff is some really messed up green monster issue. Saw him live a few times and it's hard to believe he'd be that bad.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
Just as ridiculous as the meathead posting by "some" here eight days into the season

But continue...

He's struggling and he's striking out a lot isn't meatheaded, it's factual. Meatheaded would be saying, as you apparently perceived, that he sucks. No one said that.