Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 08:14 PM)
Really in a bad stretch now...0/2 with 2 more k's.

(Hopes the jinx of posting bad results actually causes him to reach 3-4 times the rest of the game, but that's a tough ask with Berrios on the mound, and this weather.)

This? Still?

Just went back and watched some of Moncada's at bats when he had his cup of coffee back in 16 with Boston. He struck out in 12 of 20 at bats. Looked absoutely lost and overmatched in pretty much every at bat back then. The scary thing is that he looks pretty much exactly the same this year. Kid is constantly falling behind in the count, fouling off good pitches to hit, and striking out looking a ton.

Hitting him lead off has been an absolute disaster so far. There is no way he sticks there. The sooner the Sox realize that the better it will be for everyone.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 10:59 PM)
Some of you are going to have a stroke before June if the day to day ups and downs of a rebuild season are too much. This season is a wash. You are not winning this year. Development is the key.

You don't think we know that? We're not complaining about the W/L record, we're complaining about our "prized" prospects getting to the majors and not being able to even make contact or find the strike zone. It is ridiculous. It seems like they're doing fine until they get to the majors and then they take 3 steps backward. There's no development going on, only regression. That is the complaint. Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer walked at least 5 batters in each of their last starts. Moncada has struck out in 9/12 PA his last 3 games. Avi sucks again. Nobody else on the team seems to have a clue at the plate either, except for Abreu. Eventually he won't get anything to hit either once the AL realizes that he has nothing around him. I know Lopez has pitched well in terms of runs allowed so far but he's going to get killed eventually if he walks 3-5 batters a game.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:24 PM)
It?€s April 12th.

Go to bed.

Just stop. Of course it's early. That doesn't mean that the eye test isn't valid. If things continue the way they have things will get worse, not better. There's still plenty of time for everyone to turn it around but early returns suck. Sox seem to be the poster franchise for the the following old baseball adage: "Prospects are suspects until proven otherwise" We only have the small data set to work with currently, and it sucks. Badly.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Watch where you step Alice... there's rabbit holes everywhere!

I'm still standing by my original thoughts on Moncada. He's young with limited baseball experience in this country compared to many other prospects. He's taking his lumps like pro and still feel he will be fine.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:45 PM)
Just stop...what? Being a rational adult that isn?€t willing to make judgments on an incredibly small sample size, to go along with that fact we all knew coming into the season this team was going to be bad. Did you think Shields and Gonzalez were each going to take 40 losses a piece?

It?€s baseball. It?€s a game of averages. Very few guys are hitting in this lineup right now. Go look at Cleveland?€s line up, see who?€s hitting in their lineup. It will balance out.

You yourself said you get yourself all worked up at nights, then come back the next day more level headed.

Go to bed.

I guess I had hoped that the big 3 prospects on the big league club(Moncada/Giolito/Lopez) would come out and light the world on fire early this season, and I'm fairly disappointed they haven't. It doesn't mean they can't figure it out later, but Moncada and Giolito look really bad lately. I'm encouraged by Giolito's competitive spirit and being able to go out there and pitch fairly decently without anywhere near his best stuff, but that stuff looks awful. It makes me even more disappointed because I spent most of the spring talking these two up and telling everyone how I thought they'd both have a big season. Then, the regular season hits and they both look awful. I didn't expect that from either of them. I thought they both made strides last year and in spring. Nope, I was wrong. I feel like an idiot for talking them up. So, I guess I'm taking out my frustration by spewing negativity on the board. Night.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 01:01 AM)
You want the good news? It’s FAR too early to say you were wrong. Let’s have this conversation in June. They both may be terrible in June. We don’t know. But we’ll at least have a little more sample size to discuss.

Give it time, we aren’t even in the second half of April.

the season really isn't even 10% over. it's like they have played 5 quarters of football.

that said, it's been a bad start. yoan and gio especially have been bad.

One thing is there's NOT much margin for error unless we start spending into the $150 million range....

Moncada, Jimenez, Robert and Kopech...three of those four, at the very least TWO, have to be studs. Then one out of Hansen and Cease. Rodon HAS to return to form, too.

Sure, there's the possibility that Davidson, Yolmer or Delmonico can surprise a bit and become regular contributors to a playoff team (platoon two of them at DH?), but we're still looking to fill a roster with 3+ fWAR guys, not 1.5-2.5 ones.

And I think a lot of people are a bit bummed out about Rutherford, Collins, Burger and Fulmer...and rightfully so. Then add this little run Moncada's on and it can be quite difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:08 PM)
...unless we start spending into the $150 million range....

We will - when the time is right.

Muhahahahahahahahahaahhahaha.

( period added for emphasis, explanation point omitted purposefully - so as not to be annoying. )

Moncada is no doubt a mess at the plate right now (69% K rate these past three games). Ricky needs to give the kid a day off and let him clear his mind. Even if the entire weekend series is postponed, I’d still have him on the bench this Monday is Oakland. After that, I’d return him to the leadoff spot for a week and see how things go. I doubt batting first is the issue, but moving him out of that spot would be my next remedy. If he’s still struggling like crazy come mid May, I’m not against him spending some time in Charlotte. I’m not expecting that to be necessary by any means, but I’m not completely against the idea if we’re seeing zero improvement with the swing & miss issues.

I already know what others will say about this, but batting a strikeout machine 1st is actively hurting the rest of the team.

I don't give a DAMN about this being a "developmental year" for Moncada; it's ALSO a "developmental year" for this pitching staff, too. It simply can't be easy for Geo or Lopez or Fulmer to take the mound knowing that if they make a single mistake , they'll lose.

I thought it was premature to promote Moncada a year ago, because his RH splits sucked ass in AAA. That issue has continued into this season. But what's done is done, & for better or worse, he's here. I think the way forward for Moncada is to sit him for a few days, then bring him back into the lineup in the lower 3rd of the lineup.

I would hold off any concerns w Gio. Some pitchers do have problems w cold weather. I thought Moncada should have been moved out of the leadoff spot a week ago. usually cold weather favors the batter so I don't think his issues are weather related.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:09 AM)
He's clearly a bust. If he isnt hitting now, he'll never hit. He's almost 23 for crying out loud. No one who is any good has ever had a rough 10 game stretch.

To be fair he wasn’t exactly good last year or in his short stint in Boston

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:25 AM)
To be fair he wasn’t exactly good last year or in his short stint in Boston

Red Sox definitely rushed him. If he wasn't called up before the trade and didn't have to be on the 40-man roster when we traded for him, would he have been called up when he was called up for the Sox?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 07:20 AM)
Moncada is no doubt a mess at the plate right now (69% K rate these past three games). Ricky needs to give the kid a day off and let him clear his mind. Even if the entire weekend series is postponed, I’d still have him on the bench this Monday is Oakland. After that, I’d return him to the leadoff spot for a week and see how things go. I doubt batting first is the issue, but moving him out of that spot would be my next remedy. If he’s still struggling like crazy come mid May, I’m not against him spending some time in Charlotte. I’m not expecting that to be necessary by any means, but I’m not completely against the idea if we’re seeing zero improvement with the swing & miss issues.

Rick Hahn should be handed his walking papers if Moncada ends up back in Charlotte this year due to poor play. The kid was supposed to be a can't miss prospect. He has nothing left to learn in the minors. It is time to sink or swim with the big boys.