Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 01:25 AM)
Honestly, I think he’s a little pull-happy and he’s pressing too hard....they probably feed off each other. One bright side of this weekend series possibly not happening is he can hopefully clear his head.

+4

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 04:19 PM)
See Jimenez in 2017 for that.

Moncada started out white hot and then fell back to earth. He also didn’t do a great job as RHer against lefties and his K rate was way too high.

Agreed about this with respect to Moncada. Because of his horrific K rate and craptacular splits, I thought it was incredibly premature and impossibly stupid to bring him up in a lost 2017 season. Why rush the guy to his future free agency, when he clearly had (and has) holes in his game?

I also think that K rates and contact rates are predictive insofar as a prospect's future. But then, I seem to respect OBP & HATE Ks much more than this front office does.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:23 PM)
Anderson's struggles are not the same as Moncada's.

You didn't answer the question. How do Anderson's struggles justify him being dropped to 7th but Moncada should not get dropped because it would hurt his confidence.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 08:44 AM)
You didn't answer the question. How do Anderson's struggles justify him being dropped to 7th but Moncada should not get dropped because it would hurt his confidence.

I did. Someone shot Tim Anderson's best friend to death. It is different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 10:07 AM)
I did. Someone shot Tim Anderson's best friend to death. It is different.

Your logic? He was struggling w a personal issue so it was okay to drop him down in the order because he was not hitting? It appears he is in a better mental state this year but again he is still down in the 7th spot. I would think if he is considered a key to the rebuild, he would be hitting higher up like Moncada to get him more AB's.

My logic. Renteria is using a batting order that is constructed to win games and Anderson is not a top of the order guy. Now if he hits consistently and Moncada still struggles, I bet they flip them.

I just don't see how you can justify Moncada in the leadoff position. He has 24 strikeouts in 12 games for goodness sakes. Unless he's mashing at a .330 clip, they shouldn't have a strikeout machine at the top of the order. He's undoubtedly a talent, but let him develop in the bottom portion of the lineup.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 09:48 AM)
Your logic? He was struggling w a personal issue so it was okay to drop him down in the order because he was not hitting? It appears he is in a better mental state this year but again he is still down in the 7th spot. I would think if he is considered a key to the rebuild, he would be hitting higher up like Moncada to get him more AB's.

My logic. Renteria is using a batting order that is constructed to win games and Anderson is not a top of the order guy. Now if he hits consistently and Moncada still struggles, I bet they flip them.

This is circular logic at best, and at worst a terrible comparison between two non-related situations.

We are not trying to win games this year. This is a rebuild. This is not a team trying to compete for a division title. This is a rebuild.

If confused, re-read the above line.

QUOTE (dacoachisdrunk @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
I just don't see how you can justify Moncada in the leadoff position. He has 24 strikeouts in 12 games for goodness sakes. Unless he's mashing at a .330 clip, they shouldn't have a strikeout machine at the top of the order. He's undoubtedly a talent, but let him develop in the bottom portion of the lineup.

if batting leadoff gets him more ABs then I'm all for it. Talent + repetition = success.

Unless of course we're going to trade for another James Shields and make a run at the playoffs. Then by all means, move him down or send him down.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
This is circular logic at best, and at worst a terrible comparison between two non-related situations.

We are not trying to win games this year. This is a rebuild. This is not a team trying to compete for a division title. This is a rebuild.

If confused, re-read the above line.

Actually your response should go to the circular file. I will help you out. Basically Anderson got dropped in the order because he was struggling hitting at the top of the order. Most likely his struggles were caused by an off the filed incident.

I think we will see Moncada dropped lower as well if he continues to struggle leading off, rebuild or not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 03:45 PM)
Or we can always overpay whoever identified Swanson, Albies and Acuna in the Braves’ org and hope he wasn’t tarnished by the GM scandal...

This Albies kid looks like he is going to be a special player. He is only 21 and already looks light years ahead of Moncada.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)
Actually your response should go to the circular file. I will help you out. Basically Anderson got dropped in the order because he was struggling hitting at the top of the order. Most likely his struggles were caused by an off the filed incident.

I think we will see Moncada dropped lower as well if he continues to struggle leading off, rebuild or not.

It would be a help if you actually paid attention to reality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 03:13 PM)
It would be a help if you actually paid attention to reality.

What’s that supposed to mean? His post was a grounded expression of an opinion. I guess you just wanted a reason to flex your all mighty esteem mod muscles.

Feeling better now?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 10:08 PM)
What’s that supposed to mean? His post was a grounded expression of an opinion. I guess you just wanted a reason to flex your all mighty esteem mod muscles.

Feeling better now?

Thanks but no problem. He/she couldn't defend his point so he resorted to name calling.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 04:59 PM)
This Albies kid looks like he is going to be a special player. He is only 21 and already looks light years ahead of Moncada.

Albies had better coaching as a youngster... nope, he’s from Curacao

Albies is used to the cold... oops, that’s right, he’s from Curacao

He’s a bit older... nah, he’s even younger than Moncada

These things are the reasons why I’m sick of the excuses for Moncada. Guys in his exact situation are playing well. It’ll come soon to YM, I hope.

Albies has a 1.5% BB rate to go with a 16.4% K rate. His offense is being fueled by some flukey power numbers. I’ll happily take Moncada and his swing & miss issues over Albies any day of the week. Development is not linear and I would expect Albies’ game to translate quicker to the pros than Yoan’s. And I say that as an Albies fan.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 12:19 PM)
Albies has a 1.5% BB rate to go with a 16.4% K rate. His offense is being fueled by some flukey power numbers. I’ll happily take Moncada and his swing & miss issues over Albies any day of the week. Development is not linear and I would expect Albies’ game to translate quicker to the pros than Yoan’s. And I say that as an Albies fan.

LMAO. Moncada has a career 35% strike out rate. He will be out of baseball in a couple years if he can't lower that number.

Albies has already put up 2.3 WAR in his career. Moncada is at 1.5. However, Albies is almost 2 years younger than Moncada!!!!

No one said development is linear but Albies already looks at home in the big leagues wheras Moncada is a negative war player so far in 08.

You might happily take Moncada over Albies but I'm pretty sure Hahn would get told to get lost if he proposed a straight up trade of the two.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 01:17 PM)
LMAO. Moncada has a career 35% strike out rate. He will be out of baseball in a couple years if he can't lower that number.

Albies has already put up 2.3 WAR in his career. Moncada is at 1.5. However, Albies is almost 2 years younger than Moncada!!!!

No one said development is linear but Albies already looks at home in the big leagues wheras Moncada is a negative war player so far in 08.

You might happily take Moncada over Albies but I'm pretty sure Hahn would get told to get lost if he proposed a straight up trade of the two.

Lol, out of baseball? Moncada put up a 104 wRC+ last year despite a 32% K rate. He won’t be a superstar if he continues to strike out that frequently, but saying he’d be out of baseball is one of the most ludicrous statements I’ve seen in Soxtalk history.

And that’s cool you’re comparing WARs of two young players over the course of their first full season, but I’m not sure what that tells us that we didn’t already know. Albies has a very advanced hit tool and much more developed defensive game. He should be out-producing Moncada right now. Long-term I’d wager the vast majority of GMs would still take Yoan over Albies. The upside is significantly higher with Moncada and that’s saying something given how good Albies could be. Unlike a lot of posters here, GMs aren’t going to completely change their position on a young player because of a slow start.