Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 07:55 AM)
Thanks but no problem. He/she couldn't defend his point so he resorted to name calling.

You know if you had actually stuck to the topic and not dropped down to insults as a substitute for knowledge, I might have been bothered by this. But seeing as that isn't true, I am really not worried.

If you would actually like to stick to the topic at hand for once, Moncada is this teams leadoff hitter. The White Sox are not panicking over a small sample size of bad ABs. They want him at the top of the order as they think his skillset plays best there. Since you think Tim Anderson is some kind of relevant example here, you probably should also go back and look at the box scores from last year to realize that Anderson didn't get dropped to 7th nearly this early in the season, and it didn't happened until the trauma of having his childhood best friend murdered obviously was getting to him.

They are two different situations, completely.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 02:19 PM)
6.5 years of Kopech + 6.5 years of Moncada + whatever Basabe becomes > 3 years of Sale with a Sox team mired in mediocrity

Not if HeGoan Moncado doesn't step it up, which he we all think he will. Sale could have theoretically been traded for a different package as well. No matter what happens, the Sox needed to make this deal.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 04:01 PM)
It needed to be stated because the incidental implication of the post was that 6.5 years of Yoan and Kopech being greater than Sale, was the only option.

No, the post I responded to said Sale was greater than Kopech + Moncada and the point I was making was that’s not the case for us. We had to trade Sale because we couldn’t win with him. If you want to argue there was a better package to be had, that’s a completely different argument. But in isolation & without the benefit of hindsight, I will certaintly take Moncada, Kopech, & Basabe over Sale given we’re at today.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 03:51 PM)
Not if HeGoan Moncado doesn't step it up, which he we all think he will. Sale could have theoretically been traded for a different package as well. No matter what happens, the Sox needed to make this deal.

Supposedly a good chunk of the Eaton package is what started out as the offer for Chris Sale.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 01:40 PM)
Lol, out of baseball? Moncada put up a 104 wRC+ last year despite a 32% K rate. He won’t be a superstar if he continues to strike out that frequently, but saying he’d be out of baseball is one of the most ludicrous statements I’ve seen in Soxtalk history.

And that’s cool you’re comparing WARs of two young players over the course of their first full season, but I’m not sure what that tells us that we didn’t already know. Albies has a very advanced hit tool and much more developed defensive game. He should be out-producing Moncada right now. Long-term I’d wager the vast majority of GMs would still take Yoan over Albies. The upside is significantly higher with Moncada and that’s saying something given how good Albies could be. Unlike a lot of posters here, GMs aren’t going to completely change their position on a young player because of a slow start.

Saying he would be out of baseball is probably a bit hyberbolic. However, I have definitely read things more ludicrous than that around these parts. The Sox having to actually give up something in order to acquire the services of James Shields being one example. Also, that Courtney Hawkins backflip on draft day had some believing the kid was a freak of nature and destined to be the next Bo Jackson.

Why do you think that the upside of Moncada is so much higher than Albies? As it stands today Albies is the better player and he is also two years younger. You really think that Albies should be outproducing Moncada right now? I think it should be the other way around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)
Supposedly a good chunk of the Eaton package is what started out as the offer for Chris Sale.

If we accepted that package, it’s not even a sure thing we get Devers or Moncada for Eaton, let alone Kopech and Basabe.

Comes down to believing we actually could receive Robles, Giolito and Lopez or Dunning for Sale...or all four.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 05:44 PM)
If we accepted that package, it’s not even a sure thing we get Devers or Moncada for Eaton, let alone Kopech and Basabe.

Comes down to believing we actually could receive Robles, Giolito and Lopez or Dunning for Sale...or all four.

Yeah, I don't know that the Washington package for Sale wasn't better, but the combination of what we got for both Sale and Eaton, I don't think that could have been topped.

And I'm not sure than even swapping out Benintendi for Moncada (which would have been impossible due to his rookie season's positive results) would have put the franchise in an even better position...because there are clear limits to Benintendi's ceiling (see Ian Happ). Borderline All-Star, sure, because of the team he plays for, put not a franchise-altering type of talent, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 06:43 PM)
And I'm not sure than even swapping out Benintendi for Moncada (which would have been impossible due to his rookie season's positive results) would have put the franchise in an even better position...because there are clear limits to Benintendi's ceiling (see Ian Happ). Borderline All-Star, sure, because of the team he plays for, put not a franchise-altering type of talent, either.

What is his ceiling, and what is HeGoan's? Not to say you are wrong, I'm just curious to see what people think of their potential.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 02:59 PM)
This Albies kid looks like he is going to be a special player. He is only 21 and already looks light years ahead of Moncada.

Would have to go back in the wayback machine to see how many around here believed Albies could be as good as he has been. The way I remember it is Acuna was the one everyone liked and most were down on Albies because of his lack of power. Both Acuna and Albies were constantly mentioned when talking about trading Quintana maybe even before that .

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)

One of the Boston sportswriters compared Moncada and Benintendi to the second coming of Fred Lynn and Jim Rice. A potential All-Star and HOF. That would be pretty close to your thoughts.

Pretty sure the timing was in 2 phases. At the All star break, the talk was White Sox wanted Moncada and Boston offered Benintendi. Some Boston rumors said Whhite Sox wanted both. They arrived together in Boston during a pennant drive. Benintendi produced and Moncada was sent back. So when the trade happened off-season, the Red Sox were then willing to offer Moncada after what Benintendi showed.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:35 PM)
What is his ceiling, and what is HeGoan's? Not to say you are wrong, I'm just curious to see what people think of their potential.

Your name is "SonofaRoache"

You don't respect White Sox players enough to use their real names.

Are you on the right board? Do you struggle to type in "Cubs.com"?

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Quin @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:14 PM)
HeGoan is the worst nickname since HoT fIrE.

It's a reference to strike outs and it's not just bad, it's idiotic and bordering inflammatory trolling.

A lot of us are excited for this kid and "SonofaRoche" is stuck in 2015 with his nonsense.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:20 PM)
LaRoche was a big dbag and a horrible player for us, so I don't mind the slandering of him.

It's symbolic of the bottom of the 12 years of mediocrity since 2006. It's appropriate since SonofaRoache's posts are bottom of the barrel. He mocks the organization and the fans.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Quin @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:14 PM)
HeGoan is the worst nickname since HoT fIrE.

And what other package was out there for Sale that comes close, especially if we discount the players in the Eaton package.

That wasn't the point. The point was the evaluation of that trade shouldn't be Sale for 6.5 years of Moncada and Kopech, when history may show other options were better. Also, I said the trade needed to happen as it did and we shouldn't regret it no matter the results.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:14 PM)
Your name is "SonofaRoache"

You don't respect White Sox players enough to use their real names.

Are you on the right board? Do you struggle to type in "Cubs.com"?

I created this name because when I first got here people in this organization and on this forum blew that situation out of proportion. It's a mockery of that and not the player or his son. Also, I am not an ass kisser and neither should any fan be. I loswe respect for people who only want to talk about the positive and anything negative is catastrophic. I chose to call him HeGoan mostly in jest because of the overreaction to his struggles, and his struggles themselves. I will stop when he stops K'ing at an alarming rate or when people stop overreacting about it.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:24 PM)
It's symbolic of the bottom of the 12 years of mediocrity since 2006. It's appropriate since SonofaRoache's posts are bottom of the barrel. He mocks the organization and the fans.

Lol, the Earth will rotate tomorrow. I care about this organization and will ride them until they get things straight. They've mocked themselves more than I ever could, which even led to my screen name.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 08:45 PM)
One of the Boston sportswriters compared Moncada and Benintendi to the second coming of Fred Lynn and Jim Rice. A potential All-Star and HOF. That would be pretty close to your thoughts.

Pretty sure the timing was in 2 phases. At the All star break, the talk was White Sox wanted Moncada and Boston offered Benintendi. Some Boston rumors said Whhite Sox wanted both. They arrived together in Boston during a pennant drive. Benintendi produced and Moncada was sent back. So when the trade happened off-season, the Red Sox were then willing to offer Moncada after what Benintendi showed.

I think of it as the upside between a high ceiling High schooler and a polished college kid. The high schooler will struggle early on, but when he hits, he will surpass the college kid. Moncada struggles shouldn't be a big surprise, although his K rate is tough for someone with that great of an eye.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:45 PM)
Would have to go back in the wayback machine to see how many around here believed Albies could be as good as he has been. The way I remember it is Acuna was the one everyone liked and most were down on Albies because of his lack of power. Both Acuna and Albies were constantly mentioned when talking about trading Quintana maybe even before that .

At the time of the Sale trade Acuna wasn't ranked very highly (bottom of the top 100). It wasn't until last year that he just exploded up the rankings.

I recall it was Dansby that everyone wanted from the Braves for Sale

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 01:14 AM)
At the time of the Sale trade Acuna wasn't ranked very highly (bottom of the top 100). It wasn't until last year that he just exploded up the rankings.

I recall it was Dansby that everyone wanted from the Braves for Sale

I recall it being Maitan, with Albies being mentioned as well.