Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:05 AM)
That wasn't the point. The point was the evaluation of that trade shouldn't be Sale for 6.5 years of Moncada and Kopech, when history may show other options were better. Also, I said the trade needed to happen as it did and we shouldn't regret it no matter the results.

So you’re re arguing against no one now because that last sentence was my main point.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Quin @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 10:14 PM)
HeGoan is the worst nickname since HoT fIrE.

And what other package was out there for Sale that comes close, especially if we discount the players in the Eaton package.

I sure haven't seen anything that was even in the same neighborhood, but this is the internet, so revisionist history is the norm.

That wasn't the point. The point was the evaluation of that trade shouldn't be Sale for 6.5 years of Moncada and Kopech, when history may show other options were better. Also, I said the trade needed to happen as it did and we shouldn't regret it no matter the results.

What were the other trade packages? I sure don't recall anything better. I'd like to see some proof.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:09 AM)
I created this name because when I first got here people in this organization and on this forum blew that situation out of proportion. It's a mockery of that and not the player or his son. Also, I am not an ass kisser and neither should any fan be. I loswe respect for people who only want to talk about the positive and anything negative is catastrophic. I chose to call him HeGoan mostly in jest because of the overreaction to his struggles, and his struggles themselves. I will stop when he stops K'ing at an alarming rate or when people stop overreacting about it.

Well, at least he is honest about his trolling.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 01:14 AM)
At the time of the Sale trade Acuna wasn't ranked very highly (bottom of the top 100). It wasn't until last year that he just exploded up the rankings.

I recall it was Dansby that everyone wanted from the Braves for Sale

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 02:13 AM)
I recall it being Maitan, with Albies being mentioned as well.

Is there evidence of what the Braves were offering because I don't recall their top guys being on the table.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 09:00 AM)
Is there evidence of what the Braves were offering because I don't recall their top guys being on the table.

I don't think so. There was a poster here who had some sort of source in ATL hearing things, but I just recall it was pitching heavy and the only position player that would come up was albies.

I do remember a handful of posters identifying Acuna as a player who was exploding up boards with scouts and some saying that wouldn't be enough.

We need to have some baseball in our lives again...

Also for Moncada to go 5-8 in his next two games. It's early It's cold. I get he's not lighting the world on fire and hasn't really ever torn it up in the MLB, however the talent is there. I think I read his exit velocity off the bat is the highest in the majors?

He reminds me of Avi Garcia in ways... I just hope it doesn't take him that many years to figure it out. Really though? Who cares if it takes him 30, 60, or 130 games to figure it out this year. We suck and aren't competing this year. We just need him ready to rock and roll for next year. That goes the same for literally everybody on our team.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
Moncada still hasn't any stolen base attempts.

Perhaps Rick has become more enlightened on the risk/reward of a stolen base.

There's a time and place for a stolen base, but it's not as frequent as you think.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)
Perhaps Rick has become more enlightened on the risk/reward of a stolen base.

There's a time and place for a stolen base, but it's not as frequent as you think.

Remember how Ricky wanted everyone to bunt all the time last year? If you're going to work on stealing bases, this is the year. Next year it counts.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
We need to have some baseball in our lives again...

Also for Moncada to go 5-8 in his next two games. It's early It's cold. I get he's not lighting the world on fire and hasn't really ever torn it up in the MLB, however the talent is there. I think I read his exit velocity off the bat is the highest in the majors?

He reminds me of Avi Garcia in ways... I just hope it doesn't take him that many years to figure it out. Really though? Who cares if it takes him 30, 60, or 130 games to figure it out this year. We suck and aren't competing this year. We just need him ready to rock and roll for next year. That goes the same for literally everybody on our team.

The truth is it could take him a couple of years to figure it out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 07:56 AM)
I sure haven't seen anything that was even in the same neighborhood, but this is the internet, so revisionist history is the norm.

We as fans don't know, that's why I said history may show there were better options. I'll use my common sense and trust that Boston wasn't the only team that made an offer for Sale, but that our organization believed it was the best deal. Which I agree with. Just like we don't know what Milwaukee or the Nationals offered for Q and Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 07:58 AM)
What were the other trade packages? I sure don't recall anything better. I'd like to see some proof.

I have some posts in jest, but most of my posts are legit. People are just company line walkers who refuse to look at issues with our team as they are. I am a huge Moncada fan and have told people to relax countless times, but because I also understand his Ks are a big problem, and mock people for overreacting, I am a troll. No, you and others need to relax and enjoy life. I am an athlete myself and played at a power 5 school for football. I was mocked by big ten fans of my school and could laugh at myself. If you can't do things like this you are probably too uptight.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 02:52 AM)
My perception at the time was most Sox fans were hoping for a deal centered around Swanson, Benintendi, or Bregman but all 3 were supposedly untouchable.

You all are so busy being upset that anyone wouldn't walk the company line you misinterpreted me. I never said either of you were wrong or that I was arguing with you. I simply said we can't simply evaluate a trade based on the team we made the deal with when it comes to having a successful trade. We need to know what other trades were out there to make sure we took the best offer. But sense we don't have that information right now, we made the absolute right move. If in a few years we learn Atlanta offered us Albies, Acuna, and Maitan for instance, and they all turn out really good, then we can adjust our thoughts.

Edited by SonofaRoache

Without knowing the packages offered, it's pretty futile to debate trade value. Players are only worth what another team is willing to pay. Basic economics.

On to Moncada...from what little I've seen, his issues don't seem to be strike zone judgement as much as bat control. For his development, that doesn't really concern me. However, a young player struggling with bat control shouldn't be leading off. I much prefer pesky lead off hitters. I like guys with not only a good eye, but also enough bat control to fight off tough pitches and the ability to spray the ball. The lead off hitter's job should be to get on base and frustrate pitchers. Make them work. Piss them off. Set the tone. Rookies typically don't have that ability. Some of these nuances seem to be lost in modern baseball though.

I don't think this would happen--but even if Moncada was a bust (Gordan Beckham), having Kopech there in our competative window as opposed to a declining Sale (by the time that window gets here)...could be enough to win that trade. I think at the very least (assuming no injuries), you will have a very serviceable Mondaca with an above average WAR, and a top 3-5 TOR starter in the AL in Kopech in his prime (which aligns with your team's window), for 4 meaningless years of Sale. I don't hate that. The superstar in the deal might not turn out to be the guy who everyone thought it would be--but that superstar was in the deal.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)
I have some posts in jest, but most of my posts are legit. People are just company line walkers who refuse to look at issues with our team as they are. I am a huge Moncada fan and have told people to relax countless times, but because I also understand his Ks are a big problem, and mock people for overreacting, I am a troll. No, you and others need to relax and enjoy life. I am an athlete myself and played at a power 5 school for football. I was mocked by big ten fans of my school and could laugh at myself. If you can't do things like this you are probably too uptight.

Entertaining yourself at the expense of others has nothing to do with being uptight or not... That is a whole different thing.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
You all are so busy being upset that anyone wouldn't walk the company line you misinterpreted me. I never said either of you were wrong or that I was arguing with you. I simply said we can't simply evaluate a trade based on the team we made the deal with when it comes to having a successful trade. We need to know what other trades were out there to make sure we took the best offer. But sense we don't have that information right now, we made the absolute right move. If in a few years we learn Atlanta offered us Albies, Acuna, and Maitan for instance, and they all turn out really good, then we can adjust our thoughts.

LMAO. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them some sort of mindless robot. That is just arrogant, especially when your theory has no basis in reality, just a maybe. If you had some basis in reality, it would be different.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
im tired of the cold excuse, there are plenty of young players who are doing well in similar conditions

I’m sure the cold is a small part of it, but the bigger issues presently are his general struggles batting right-handed and his inability to recognize and/or make contact with sliders. He’s swinging & missing on a whopping 52% of breaking balls this year and the vast majority of those have been sliders. Teams have noticed as the percentage of sliders thrown to him has increased by nearly 10% this year. Warmer temperatures aren’t going to help much with those issues.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 12:53 PM)
I’m sure the cold is a small part of it, but the bigger issues presently are his general struggles batting right-handed and his inability to recognize and/or make contact with sliders. He’s swinging & missing on a whopping 52% of breaking balls this year and the vast majority of those have been sliders. Teams have noticed as the percentage of sliders thrown to him has increased by nearly 10% this year. Warmer temperatures aren’t going to help much with those issues.

I wonder if he's recognizing that they're sliders and is having trouble fighting them off or if his pitch recognition is just wrong.