Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 06:39 AM)
Last evening's game is the biggest example of the upside of Moncada. 2-3, HR, 2B, BB, SB. If we get to see that guy more and more as the season goes on, we'll all look back at this thread and laugh.

Moncada just needs to continue getting reps against major league pitching before he figures it all out. Once he gains a better understanding of what pitchers are going to do against him the success will come.

His current hit tool is a 30/40 grade, but scouts really feel it will be 60 grade with time.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 07:21 AM)
Moncada just needs to continue getting reps against major league pitching before he figures it all out. Once he gains a better understanding of what pitchers are going to do against him the success will come.

His current hit tool is a 30/40 grade, but scouts really feel it will be 60 grade with time.

It really can’t be that low...as he’s already putting up average or slightly above average big league offensive numbers for his position.

Engel, sure.

With the exception of his strike outs, he is doing just fine, batting left handed:

.256 .370 .487

That puts him near the top of Sox hitters, so far, in every category. No one is really lighting it up on this team, probably because of all of the off days and the terrible weather for hitters.

If you want to do something drastic, maybe he could try facing lefties, from the left side. For my part, I'd prefer to let him continue to try to become a productive switch hitter.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 08:53 AM)
With the exception of his strike outs, he is doing just fine, batting left handed:

.256 .370 .487

That puts him near the top of Sox hitters, so far, in every category. No one is really lighting it up on this team, probably because of all of the off days and the terrible weather for hitters.

If you want to do something drastic, maybe he could try facing lefties, from the left side. For my part, I'd prefer to let him continue to try to become a productive switch hitter.

I just don't recall a situation where they dropped switch hitting and were actually better that handed.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:30 PM)
I also think its time to point out that Fernando Tatis Jr, after 100 at bats in AA (2017/18) is hitting under .240, with 31 strikeouts, three walks and seven errors. Can we finally concede he's a total bust? I think the rebuild is much easier when we can draw long term conclusions after a couple of dozen games.

No wonder his name has barely been mentioned in the last three weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 08:23 AM)
It really can’t be that low...as he’s already putting up average or slightly above average big league offensive numbers for his position.

Engel, sure.

His fangraphs Scouting hit grade is that low.....with the potential of 60.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=2B

Screen_Shot_2018_04_18_at_11.26.56_AM.png

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 04:14 PM)
Couple of things in regards to Moncada's batted ball data:

-His Z-Contact% and Contact% are basically the same as last year

-He's hitting the ball much harder this year, he jumped from 36% last year to 51.9% this year

-Biggest differences from last season are that he's seeing a 10% increase in first pitch strikes and a 12% decrease in contact outside the zone

SSS, but I would expect some positive regression pretty shortly from Moncada. I think the problem so far has been that he is getting in a hole quickly and then going after pitches out of the zone and missing when he is down in the count. I think it really is as simple for him as adjusting his approach a little, but adjustments are usually the struggles of young hitters. Once he realizes that he's going to be seeing the best pitches of the AB early in the count, he will starting attacking more and when the pitcher responds and throws less strikes, that's where his eye will be important. I'm frustrated like everyone else, but his batted ball data tells me a lot about what's going right now IMO.

Positive regression came more quickly than I expected

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 04:34 PM)
Just goes to show that even if he's a .250 hitter he could still be an all star 2B.

Yep, even if he never improves his K rate he's an above average regular. If he can cut it to below 30% he'll be a superstar.